Gigamic Quoridor Classic Game
Price:$31.95 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 25, 2002
I bought this game for my 11-year old son, and now I find myself asking everyone in my family if they can spare 15 minutes to play a game with me! The game play is simple: on each turn, either move your pawn one space closer to the finish line, or use one of your two-square wide tiles to block your opponent's progress (you start with ten of these), but you can't completely block them in. Whoever gets there first, wins! Each game takes on its own personality, as new strategies constantly evolve. We also handicap the grownups when they play the kids by allowing them to only use 7 or 8 of their tiles, which gives the kids a fair chance to win. Games take anywhere between 10 and 20 minutes to play, and the beautiful wooden gameboard and pieces are fun to use. Like chess and checkers, it's all skill and no luck. This has become my favorite game! I'd recommend it for anyone age 7 or older who likes thinking games.
on June 4, 2007
Verified Purchase
The game concept is very good. In fact, I give the game concept 5 out of 5 stars. Unfortunately, the execution of the game board is a bit lacking.

First, the board is small. The squares are much smaller than a traditional chess game board. This, combined with the fact that the pieces are a bit wobbly, makes the game somewhat frustrating because the pieces often fall over.

Second, the game is designed for two or four players, but the board is really only designed for two players. The board should be symmetrical for all four players, but there is only a "bank" to hold the fences for two of the players. Even more frustrating, the board is sized symmetrically for all four players, but for two of the players, the space is just left empty.

If they ever come out with a larger, truly four player edition, I will get it and rate it a five.
on November 26, 2010
Elegant execution of an elegant fundamental concept. Simple rules. Room for very deep strategy, yet fun strategic discoveries are accessible even at beginner levels. Beginners correctly feel they understand enough to make respectable moves and to create problems for the opponent. Surprising turns of advantage can occur.

Both players get 11 pieces: 1 pawn plus 10 fences. Each turn you move your pawn of place a fence. To win, get your pawn from the north edge to the south edge, while your opponent tries to get his pawn from south to north. You are not allowed to create an impenetrable complete chain of fences. Thus sometimes you place a fence to seal all but one remaining opening for your pawn, making it illegal for your opponent to block your pawn's path out -- which sometimes takes you unstoppably to your winning destination!

At times you can make a move that looks terrible for you to the eye yet is a winning move. What is visually happening on the board translates very well to an impression of the strategic effects of the moves, somewhat like Twixt.
Chess players will immediately recognize a loose analog of king opposition in chess endgames, and will feel similar issues surrounding immobility. Unlike chess or Khet, you never suffer a discouraging and probably permanent material deficit.
Playing Quoridor gives me a feeling that is a hybrid of what Twixt and Chess make me feel.

Khet is another great game I have yet encountered with this elegance and the other attributes at the same superb level as Twixt and Quoridor. Quoridor has fewer blunders than Khet (blunders in Khet feel much less forgivable than in chess, yet are more frequent in Khet than in chess). Quoridor is a Wow.

My wife knows nothing about games. Yet as a gift for me, my wife chose Quoridor over Quarto, even tho the games shop owner slightly recommended Quarto over Quoridor. She said Quoridor looked more like a board game with some animation to it.

My wife and daughter both immediately wanted to play a second game. Excellent durations of approx 15-20 minutes. Pleasant to touch, made of wood, not plastic. Opportunities of clever moves. For 2 or 4 players (not 3, not "2-4" as the game box misleads).

At www .quoridor .net you can play against a computer in pseudo-3D, for free. Play against its strongest level.
on December 19, 2013
This review was originally posted on [...] please check it out for more games that have made an impact.

Today I bring you a simple game that will keep you frustrated...or elated for the rest of the day: Quoridor. If you haven't heard of Gigamic Games you are missing out. For all of you chess-lovers out there, this game is for you. Though not quite as involved as Chess, Quoridor is a game that will keep you in a full blown parry with your opponent till the end.

The Game is simple and beautiful. Either two or four players, try to out wit their opponents by creating an elaborate maze for their opponent to move through. Small domino-shaped blocks are used to throw up walls and barriers that your opponent must get around. Be careful not to get cocky, because it doesn't take long for the tables to turn and your opponent to have the upper hand. Each player starts out with 10 fences at their disposal. A turn consists of either placing a fence or moving your pawn. The object of the game is to get to your opponents side. Choose wisely. Once you have placed all of your fences you have no choice but to move your pawn; and if you aren't careful, you may get trapped in the nightmare that you built for your opponent not long before.

Cons

1.) Predictable - The game is a great idea and fun for a couple rounds, but playing against the same person multiple times in a row will get pretty old pretty fast. If you don't have new opponents who think a new way then you may find yourself experiencing deja vu as you set up almost the exact same board as you did the last game. I recommend playing a maximum of twice with the same person then giving it a rest.

2.) Fulfillment - This is something that I can't explain really well, but some games feel good to play even when you lose. This is not one of those games. In fact, my wife beat me twice in a row and I was fuming for the rest of the night. Perhaps it is just because it is a two-player game or perhaps it is because my wife and I get really competitive, but either way, I have yet to walk away from this game without a little bit of steam that needs blowing off.

Pros

1.) Aesthetics - The game is absolutely beautiful. Like all Gigamic games, expenses are not spared on the quality of the components. The beautiful multi-toned wood could easily be the centerpiece of a coffee table in the den. Pulling this game out is a joy because it looks sophisticated.

2.) Strategy - This game, though simple, packs a powerful punch when it comes to strategy. Guessing what your opponent is going to do is sometimes easy but what is difficult is figuring how to get out of the hole that they are digging you and making sure that you are giving them a hard enough maze in the process.

3.) Surprise - I was impressed with the amount of surprise involved in the game. Just when I thought I had it in the bag I made one stupid decision and the game was over. You cannot let your guard down for a second.

4.) Simplicity - The game is beautifully simple which makes it extremely accessible to all ages and skill levels. I have a few friends that I can't play half of my games with because I don't think I can stand explaining another game to. However, this game can be explained in literally one minute and they can be playing with little to no "trial period". This is a game that is super convenient to have around because it can be played in almost any situation.

on February 20, 2003
Quoridor is quite a bit of fun, particularly if you enjoy games that require more thinking, like Mastermind. Game time is short, so even young players can play and then play again without feeling like they're tied to a game of chess. The game does require some strategy-sense, so not sure if 8 and up is appropriate, maybe 12 and up. Adults will have the most fun however since you can easily play 4 or 5 games an hour.
on December 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this mainly for the purpose of getting a short(ish) abstract that facilitated 4 players: fair warning - I'm not all that big into abstracts. Euros are my favorite type of board games but I do like the occasional abstract. So I don't have a ton of experience with them. One of my favorites at the moment is Quarto. I thought this game would be great because I thought it would fill the exact niche I was looking for.

I was totally wrong. The game starts of GREAT and is tense and interesting, but at some point there comes a time where 1 or 2 players will just become completely out of it and at that point they're basically king making with their remaining wall pieces. They're not playing to try win (because they simply can't) but they have a STRONG deciding actor as to who can actually win the game. Too strong. I can only imagine how that might get frustrating and rub people (and gaming groups) the wrong way if played enough.

The game does shine as a 2 player experience and there is a lot of tactics to consider, so if that's your goal, I think you'll like this, but my main reason for buying the game was the 4 player aspect which is pretty woeful, imo so I rate it a 3. It's ok, but disappointing.
on June 11, 2009
The rules for Quoridor are a paragraph long. You can understand everything you need to play the game in just a few minutes of watching someone play. The whole game takes five, maybe ten minutes. And yet it's completely absorbing, deeply challenging, often surprising, uniquely compelling.

The game is played on a 9x9 grid. Deep channels separate the squares. These channels are deep enough to hold a "wall" - a thin wooden rectangle wide enough to span the border of two squares. Each player has a wooden pawn. The object of the game is to be the first player to advance her pawn to the opposite side of the board. Each player, in the two-player version, also gets ten walls. On your turn you can either move your pawn one square horizontally or vertically, or you can add a wall. These two choices seem remarkably familiar, elegantly embodying a fundamental political dynamic: to advance our own cause, or to prevent the opposition from advancing. The result of this debate is the creation of an evermore complex maze, again depicting something remarkably familiar to anyone engaged in political discourse. Republicans, democrats, lovers, parents, children.

As Rob Solow reports, Quoridor is such an elegant game that it can be easily played (with some minor modifications) with a 5-year-old. And that is another important thing to note about Quoridor - because it is so easy to understand, because it's components are so few and so functional, it is also easy to modify. Like tic tac toe, Quoridor invites you to come up with new ways to play. Rob talks about giving the weaker player more walls. Since you can play several games in a half-hour, it is easy to create a handicapping system where the losing player gets two more fences for the next round.

Quoridor comes with four different-color pawns. In the four-player version, each player gets five wall pieces, and the pawns start out in the center of the board rather than on the opposite ends. This points to yet another variable - the starting position of the pawns. Then there's the rule for what happens when two pawns meet. In the standard rules, they get to jump over each other. But that, clearly, is only the beginning. And one can't help but gleefully contemplate the implications of a two-player version with four pawns.

Quoridor exemplifies the kind of thinking game that prompted the creation of the Major FUN award. It can be intensely competitive, but its elegance and brevity make playing the game itself fun, no matter who wins.

Designed by Mirko Marchesi, Quoridor is another beautifully rendered wooden game from Gigamic, available in the US through the wise auspices of Fundex Games.
on October 6, 2007
Verified Purchase
I first discovered Quoridor on Big Brother 4 when I was channel-surfing. The house guests were playing this game I had never heard of which consisted of moving pawns from one end of a board to the other end, while their opponent was putting up fences to impede their progress. I became fascinated with the game and began searching all the local toy stores before finally finding it on Amazon.com.

I was very pleased with the quality and workmanship of the game. It took less than a minute to learn the rules, which are very simple. Simple rules, yet challenging game play.

This game has brought my family and friends many, many hours of enjoyment and I can't recommend it highly enough.
on February 28, 2011
Verified Purchase
We love this game! It is a clever game of strategy, logic, planning and adaptivity. Some parents don't often play games because they don't have the time to sit down. But this game is quick and lets you say yes to your kids more often. It is fun, we love playing quick rounds. You can make the game last long or short, make it easier or more challenging by using two or four men on the board, and it is nice looking because most of the pieces are wood. A great game to leave lying around.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 26, 2011
My 12 year old son received this game as a gift and we have real battles on the board as we try to outsmart each other into falling into a trap and losing a lot of steps towards victory.

The object of the game is to move your pawn one space at a time to the other side of the board. The first to reach the other side wins. Simple enough. But you and your opponent(s) have walls that can be placed. Each turn poses a question: do you move your pawn or do you place a wall to block your opponent's moves. The only caveat is that you must always leave a way through.

The trick is to plan things out a bit. You can wait until they are almost to the other side and then start to block them so that they have to back-track all the way home. Or you can keep them going around and around. The better you plan, the better you will be towards the end because if you use up all your walls too quickly, you have no way to block and it's smooth sailing for your opponent from there on.

I love playing this and can make it as complex or simple as the player I am battling with. Obviously, I don't try as hard playing with my 7 year old but some day, there will be no holding back! There are four pawns so you can play with two, three or four people.

A game can be played in about 10-15 minutes so it is easy to play a few rounds before calling it quits. The board is nicely made of wood as are the pawns and the walls.

See 1 answered question