5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, overpriced
Published on August 12, 2009 by SN

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and go buy these things instead:
What a poor installation kit. When you review the Gila installation video on their website, they suggest tools not included in this kit. Save your cash, and go buy this stuff instead:

-Spray Bottle
-Baby Shampoo
-Snappable razor knife
-Tape measure / yard stick
-Good Scissors
-A pack of straight razors (for scraping the window)...
Published on June 26, 2011 by George L.

2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and go buy these things instead:, June 26, 2011
George L. (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete (Tools & Home Improvement)

-Spray Bottle
-Baby Shampoo
-Snappable razor knife
-Tape measure / yard stick
-Good Scissors
-A pack of straight razors (for scraping the window)
-Window squeegee
-Lint-free towels

Just to be clear, I am happy with the Gila Platinum film that I purchased, but this kit is not very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, overpriced, August 12, 2009
SN (Louisiana) - See all my reviews
The squeegees and application spray work very well. I used the entire bottle of spray up doing 4 windows (2 were 34"x30" and 2 34"x42") which collectively used up a bit less than one roll of the film (and I added some water and tried to be frugal with the stuff starting about halfway through the job). If you are doing more windows you may need extra bottles of the application spray (they are available separately at Lowe's). The razor knife didn't work very well - it had a tendency to tear rather than cleanly cut the film, leaving a ragged edge (not too bad - it wasn't really noticable except on very close inspection). I used a higher quality utility knife I already had instead with better results. Overall I think this kit makes doing a good job installing the film much easier, and I would buy and use it again based on my experience. It is overpriced for what you get - I doubt the items cost more than a buck or two to make and package. But the time and frustration it is likely to save are almost certainly worth more than the cost. Tip: I found the kit at Lowes for half of the $16 amazon is currently charging.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better tools needed, March 15, 2009
The solution does what it should, but the cheap, poorly manufactured knife is dull enough for a dimwitted toddler to play with, no worries. If you have to do window film, and personally, after my experience I am 100% against it, then buy a good quality exacto knife. You'll have use for it later for other projects and this one cannot be done without a sharp, stable cutting edge. In fact, a kitchen knife might work better than the knife-like thing in the kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars adequate, could be better, April 30, 2011
this has to do mostly with the trimming tool and has nothing to do with the squeegee, the cloth, or the spray solution.
putting the film up was quite easy, only needed a second set of hands during the separation of the film from the backing--per window this amounts to roughly one minute. measuring, cutting, installation, and trimming require only one set of hands.
the trimming tool can be readily replaced by either an X acto knife or a box cutter. A box with the blade barely extruded will provide the same amount of expansion/contraction around the edge of the film as this tool does with the advantage of being sharp and not dragging through the product, but rather cutting cleanly.
i used the trimming tool on two windows, and box cutter on two windows. the latter was much easier and simple, though the first two windows went up without problems. experience pays off, and i am awaiting another roll of gila film so we can prepare our entire house for the upcoming summer.
i would recommend the film--the light that makes it through seems to be much more soothing than that which penetrates an unfiltered window, and there is a noticeable temperature difference even in spring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy just what you need, January 6, 2013
Jessica Spurling (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
The spray is very helpful. You can make your own but if you want the convenience, just buy the spray separately. Use a better cutting tool than comes with this kit. The included tool is worse than useless, it results in messy edges & corners. I used this tool for the first 5 windows but I'm going to do another 5 and will use a regular utility knife next time. The kit comes with a lint free towel which was handy but you probably have one already. I used the squeegee tool but found a credit card worked just about as well. I started using the credit card to help guide the cutting and make cutting the corners easier, and found it did a pretty good job as a squeegee. If only because the cutting tool included is simply something you're going to throw out (it has absolutely no re-use potential!), I'd recommend just getting what you need, skip this kit.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only a few worthwhile items save your cash, May 11, 2012
Okay if you want to use Gila the only thing that this kit gives you that is really useful is the yellow squggie for pushing out the air bubbles. This spray is nothing more than soap aka window cleaner that sticks a little. I didn't even use the cloth and the cutter is flimsy and needs to be more durable for longer work times, we had to get another to finish our work.
If you like losing money on a product that is only half worth it then this is your product but if not and you want to use Gila save your money and get the items listed in their video, not this kit. If the price was more like 7 dollars I could have justified it but not for the 10 plus.

1.0 out of 5 stars Total ripoff, July 14, 2012
Colorado Jon (Mancos, CO USA) - See all my reviews
Do not buy this kit to install your Gila window film. You pay an outrageous amount for laundry detergent in a spray bottle (make it yourself), a scraper/squeegee that lasts about two films worth, a non-functional trimming blade that goes dull after five feet of use, and a piece of "lint-free" paper towel. The film instructions suggest this kit is required--do not pay any attention!! Just order the film and make up your own installation kit with stuff in your utility closet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked as Expected, October 23, 2008
Used kit to put film on window in bathroom 8 months ago. Debating trying to do without buying the kit, but I think that the kit and especially the solution is the reason why my film hasn't peeled, bubbled, or moved at all over the past 8 months. Since this is in our only bathroom too, it definitely gets plenty of steam exposure.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, September 19, 2010
I purchased this kit to go with some Gila privacy window film. It worked ok, though I have a feeling I may have gotten along just fine without it.

The razor blade is a joke, and is the worst part of this kit. It barely gives you any of the blade, and I'd rather just use a box cutter or fabric cutter, or even a sharp utility knife.

The squeegee is ok, but is tiny. You probably have something lying around your garage that would work just as well. I think the squeegee should have been larger. You can buy a much better squeegee as a standalone product.

I'm not sure exactly what is in the spray or whether it's necessary or not. I used it when applying my Gila window film. However, the same day I also installed some window film from a different brand, and that brand simply called for using a spray bottle filled with water and a drop of soap. I have a feeling the same solution would have done just fine with the Gila film as well, but just to be safe I used the solution provided in this kit.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, March 5, 2014
Purchased window film right. And got this application kit. What a waste. No cutting blade. It was a plastic handle with no blade. And solution was soapy water. And 1 paper towel.wow. It cost me more than the kit to get utility knife needed to compete job. I wish amazon would screen the crap from the decent products made with pride not trash like this kit.

Gila RTK500 Window Film Application Tool Kit, Complete
$14.52
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.