4.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE RAUCHIESY AND FUNNIEST STAND-UPS IN A LONG TIME!
Published on February 10, 2008 by ! MR. KNOW IT ALL ;-b

3.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert IS the Comedian's Comedian
Gilbert Gottfried has a reputation for being a "comedian's comedian" -- he is that and more. He's at his best when he's unscripted (or appears so) and the "extra" material on the DVD does very well by him.

Unfortunately, this DVD is probably not the best choice for an introduction.

If you are familiar with his work (and you like it), then you'll...
Published on March 7, 2006 by Bret R. Rudnick

4.0 out of 5 stars ONE OF THE RAUCHIESY AND FUNNIEST STAND-UPS IN A LONG TIME!, February 10, 2008
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
I have never been a big fan of Gilbert Gottfried but, I never hated him either. I do remember a small bit he did years ago about Moby Dick that I thought was hilarious but, that was about it. In this newer stand-up Gilbert takes a lot of old stale jokes and turns them into new fresh and often side splittingly funny routines. I was doubled over with laughter many times during this 48 minute set. This set is extremely dirty and we hear some of our favorite curse words frequently so, if the C or F word bothers you,........don't watch this! If they don't, then grab a beer and some friends and get ready to laugh your A** off! I rate it 4 1/2 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars The behind the scenes stuff is worth it's weight in gold, March 6, 2006
Gilbert,

Jesus, your DVD is funny. I went all the way and paid the extra dough for the autographed version. That donut bit with both Kennedys, Martin Luther King Jr. and Charles Lindbergh (shortly after his son was found dead) was killing me. My god...

By the way, I forgot to mention that a friend and I saw The Aristocrats at the Crest Theater in Sacramento the night it came out. You've heard this from everybody I'm sure, but you and Saget put that film over the top. Bob...because other than comedians, nobody knows he is one of the filthiest comics out there. But I swear to you, I was crying by the time your bit was over. Especially the footage of the roast. Jesus. I don't know if you were in on the editing of that movie but you ougtta thank Penn big time because that film showed everybody that other comedians love your stuff. It was kind of like the film culminated with your gig. That's gotta be a huge ego boost if nothing else.

Thanks for making me laugh like hell.

A big fan,

Joseph Dutra

p.s. I love your appearances on Howard. I heard you last week and it reminded me to go to your website and order the DVD. I'm begging you to do more obscure references when you're on.

5.0 out of 5 stars OHMAGAWD!, January 3, 2007
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
I never laughed so hard at a standup performance as I did with this DVD. Every filthy disgusting off-color joke was done with Gilbert's deadpan face expertise that you can't help but roar with laughter. His imitation of Seinfeld and Alan King are priceless. The classic Aristocrats joke is done as a great ad-lib performance. If you like smutty stories, filthy disgusting jokes, then this is for you! ENJOY and keep a box of Depends handy when you pee yourself with laughter as only Gilbert can make you do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking Shocking Shocking Shocking Shocking, January 20, 2006
tashcrash (South Shore, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
Like him or not, Gilbert Gottfried is one of the most interesting and unorthodox comics working today. Of course the jokes are old, and many are familiar to most of us, which is the obvious gimmick of the show (ergo the title). If you know and like Gottfried, then you know that it's not the moldy joke but the way it is delivered that matters, and Gottfried has a mostly masterful method. When a joke fails (and the audience is pretty bland here), Gottfried's ability to retrieve the moment often results in a far funnier and bizarre running commentary and/or audience critique, which has always been his strongest point (there are occasional and unfortunate end-of-joke cuts which disrupt the rhythm, but they aren't overly disruptive).
If there were other records of his stand-up currently available on the market, then I would lessen my rating to four stars, since his original work is generally more rewarding. Since it is all that is presently out there, it gets five. Unlike the pandering observational humor of Jerry Seinfeld or the family-friendly musings of Bill Cosby (both of whom get mocked fairly mercilessly here), "Dirty Jokes" is not for all tastes...thank God!

5.0 out of 5 stars Filthy and Fantastic!, January 26, 2006
Scott B. NYC (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
Gilbert Gottfried is a genius. THANK YOU for making a DVD that puts so many dirty jokes where they long--together! Of course I knew a few, but I learned so many more! Gilbert's delivery is priceless, and his impressions of comics like Bill Cosby and Jerry Seinfeld make some of the jokes even funnier.

If you're a fan of filthy humor, this DVD is a MUST HAVE! My personal favorite is about the guy who doesn't know if his wife has VD or TB...

And at $13.99...it's a steal. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
I just bought Gilbert Gottfried's "Dirty Jokes". Gottfried is a comic genius! This is the best comedy video I've seen in quite some time. If you're having friends over for a few drinks--put this video in and the party's started. This is laugh-out-loud comedy at it's best. If you love SHOCK humor--this is the video for you. This video features "The Aristocrats" joke. It's almost as if Gottfried wrote the legendary vaudville joke himself. If people only knew the AFLAC duck was so demented.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gilbert IS the Comedian's Comedian, March 7, 2006
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)

Unfortunately, this DVD is probably not the best choice for an introduction.

If you are familiar with his work (and you like it), then you'll enjoy the DVD. In the main feature of the DVD he is telling old, non-original dirty jokes before a packed house at Caroline's. It's a small (but venerable) stage and magnifies the idiosyncracries of a performer so be prepared. After getting over the initial shock of seeing him in makeup and hair colour, it was nice to see him in his element -- and his impressions of Bill Cosby, Alan King, and Jerry Seinfeld make me smile and take my mind off the punchlines I already know. As I watched the main DVD feature I really wanted him to ditch the material and go off on one of his extemporaneous sidebars (and he almost does a few times) -- that is why I like him so much and why he's known as a comedian's comedian.

For me, the price of the DVD was met with the extra material. This is where we get a glimpse of the true Gilbert Gottfried. Anyone who sees comedy on the Internet has probably seen his legendary appearance at the Hugh Hefner roast. It's a hysterical bit and shows Gilbert at his best. On the DVD extra material, we find a selection that leads us to believe we're going to see that bit, but instead we're treated to a lengthy (and funny) explanation as to why we will NOT see it. Don't be disappointed, you can poke around on the Internet and see it for free anyway.

By the way, when you see Gilbert staring at you on the DVD, does anyone else notice a disturbing resemblance to Humphrey Bogart?

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Funny!, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
The 50-minute standup routine is pretty good, but the extras make this a 4-star performance. Gilbert's "Reminiscences About His Famous Friends" is worth the price alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny!!, January 25, 2006
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
I am so glad I bought this dvd! Gilbert's jokes, delivery, timing and seemingly stream of consciousness styled mental excursions are brilliant, but I think my fave is the "extras". Unique and refreshing even if some of the jokes are "classics".

4.0 out of 5 stars Dirty but very very funny, October 10, 2010
This review is from: Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes (DVD)
Like many others, I thought some of the best material was in the extras. If you've ever seen Groucho Marx in his later years on Dick Cavett, you'll know exactly how incredible Gilbert's impersonation of him is.

I got a LOT of laughs out of this DVD, and believe it or not there are a handful of jokes in there that are suitable for mixed company (as long as they're not too uptight).

I thought his retelling of "the Aristocrats" was plain shabby, though, compared to what we saw in the movie of that name.

Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes
Gilbert Gottfried: Dirty Jokes by Gilbert Gottfried (DVD - 2005)
$14.99 $8.17