1,350 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need to Be a DUDE to Use This Razor!!!
Updates at end of review:

I often find it odd when manufacturer's intentionally lock out 50% of the human population when they market an item. Now, certain products such as feminine or E.D. products should stay gender specific but RAZORS????? Hey, woman shave too and have all kinds of weird angles to our body!

I have sparse hair on my legs but it's...
Published 8 months ago by Pie Grrrl

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough Already ...
Published 7 months ago by DACHokie

3.0 out of 5 stars Enough Already ..., June 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first started to shave, Gillette's fixed two blade refillable razors (Trac II) were the standard improvement to the single-blade safety razor I remember my father using when I was younger. Those two-blade razors were simple, safer (didn't have to handle a two sided razor blade) and worked just fine. Over the past 30 years, I've bought all the fancy, modernized variations and "improved" Gillette shaving products (each claiming to offer better results than their predecessor) including: lubricating strips on the blade, the pivoting head (Atra), spring-loaded blades (Sensor), 3 blades (Mach 3), "no friction" blades (Mach 3 Turbo), 5 blades (Fusion/Fusion Proglide) and any battery-powered versions of the aforementioned razors (still haven't found the benefit of a vibrating razor). I've even bought several re-named razors in which the only difference was the color of the handle (chalk that up to effective marketing). Now, Gillette is offering the FUSION PROGLIDE SILVERTOUCH razor with FLEX-BALL handle technology: a lubricated strip, 5-blade, head-pivoting, head-swiveling (side-to-side) razor promising an even better shave. What I am discovering is that all the new shaving technology provides the same shave I got from the Trac II, the only difference being the razors themselves look like weapons from a Star Wars movie and the cost of shaving daily has skyrocketed.

WHAT'S NEW

- The FLEX BALL allows the blade to move from side-to-side (in addition to the now-standard back-and-forth "pivot"). The idea is that this razor will now navigate the contours of your face better. Fortunately, all Fusion blades work on this razor.

DOES IT WORK?

- Honestly, a razor that pivots and swivels does get the job done, but no better than the other razors I've used. Then again, everyone's face is shaped differently and the texture, direction and density of hair growth differs as well. Most razors (even cheap disposables) work well based on your familiarity with the contours of your own face. Bottom line, those more experienced with shaving can likely use a dangerous straight-edge razor and get a great shave with no problem. The biggest benefit of having a blade that swivels and pivots is that you can get the job done without paying as much attention ... great when you need a shave and have little time, are a novice shaver or simply a sloppy shaver. So, it works, but I found nothing truly special in the way it handled or in the shave results ... it simply got the job done.

WHAT SEPARATES IT FROM THE REST?

- The lengthy technological name and cool mechanical-looking handle.

Seriously, all the products that keep coming out sound great, but results leave me wondering whether or not these new razors are more marketing genius that any real breakthrough shaving technology. I'm finding that these new devices really haven't changed anything but the cost of my standard daily grooming ritual. More blades means more sharpened steel scraping your skin and smaller space between the blades means more clogging, shortened blade life and more frequent (expensive) blade replacement. I'm finding out the blades/razor are secondary to the lubrication quality of the cream/gel being used. Most of us are used to the pivoting head and I suppose the new side-to-side motion could become an industry standard as-well. Personally, I believe all these innovative appurtenances are rather unnecessary and I am seriously considering switching to an old-school single-blade safety razor like my father used ... after all, if it's not broken, why fix it?

5.0 out of 5 stars You Don't Need to Be a DUDE to Use This Razor!!!, May 26, 2014
This review is from: Gillette Fusion Proglide Men's Razor With Flexball Handle Technology and 2 Razor Blade Refills (Health and Beauty)
Updates at end of review:

I have sparse hair on my legs but it's thick and wiry in nature. Standard cheap "Chick razors" just don't do it for me. I get razor rash, bumps and more than my fair share of skin gouges trying to get my legs smooth and nice enough to wear shorts and dresses.

So, I was very interested in this razor with it's "Proglide Flexball Handle Technology" and how it would work for an XX member of society along with the XY members it's marketed to.

WOW! and may I say, "WOW!!!", again!? I've been using it daily on my legs and underarms and the finished result is like satin! Usually, I have raw, chopped up skin when I'm done shaving but THIS razor takes shaving to an entire new level! As another reviewer suggested, I rinse it well and blot the blade after use and it's still as effective as 7 days ago. Mind you, the hair on my legs is probably 10% of what is on a man's face who has a thick beard, but still...the end result is as if I had used a depilatory on my legs!

The weight of the razor's body is very nice and substantial to hold; it's not flimsy and fly-away like those disposable razors. And the Flexball REALLY works, navigating that Oh!, So Tender skin around your ankle bone, shin bone and knee cap. Nary a nick or divot anywhere on my legs!!! And regarding under arm shaving, usually, cheap razors tear my skin so badly that I can't place deodorant on my skin for an hour or more after shaving. Now, I can use it immediately with no rash nor irritation.

I'm sold! Too bad that Gillette doesn't want women's money and increased profits. But, they'll receive a small amount when I go out to buy extra blade refills. :D
September 10, 2014: I'm still madly in love with this razor! I've gone through 2 sets of replacement blades from using it daily and have just ordered another complete set to carry with me when I travel. I've recommended this specific razor to my adult daughters and friends; many of them have also purchased it for the comfortable shave and no-nick factor. How nice to continue to be happy with such a simple product. :D

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine razor, but not an improvement over regular Proglide, May 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using Gillette razors for going on 20 years, and they have continued to get better (and more expensive) as time has passed. I'm usually not an early adopter because (a) I get happy with whatever I'm using and think that the latest "advancement" won't be worth it and (b) the newest blade refills always cost a premium. But, time and time again, once I try the latest version - I wish that I'd tried it earlier. With this model, though, I'm going to stick with it's predecessor.

When the five-blade Fusion razors came out, I thought they'd lost it. "What a gimmick!" I thought. Well, turns out, those Proglide cartridges are really, really nice. :) I love the shave from those. I use the powered versions and love it. I don't know if the vibrations actually help, but I prefer those. I have, however, also used the manual versions and the powered versions without being on (low battery), so I think I can fairly compare this new model to those.

To me, this version shaved quite well, but not quite as close as a normal Proglide razor. It might be the new rotating head or the redesigned blades, but my preference goes to the previous model. This version does glide over my face very well, but no better (IMO) than a fresh Proglide cartridge. What is different, though, is that I can feel more whiskers left over (especially on my neck) when I get done and am rinsing off my face. A fresh Proglide cartridge gives me a very smooth result versus what I got with a brand new one of these. Others here are happy with it, so it might just work better for some than others. To reiterate - it is a good shave (so, four stars), but not as good as the previous Proglide.

My recommendation - if you haven't tried a Fusion Proglide razor, definitely give that a go. They work awesome. If you already use one, I don't think this new tweak is worth paying extra for (and, in fact, didn't work as well for me).

Hint: if you're going to try something new and compare razors, be sure to make it apples to apples and compare against a new cartridge from your current model. A brand new cartridge is almost always going to shine compared to a dull one, and sometimes that can sway people to think that the newer model is better than what they had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insanely Smooth, June 16, 2014
I was apprehensive at first that this razor would really be worth the extra price. I mean, my face isn't that jagged or rugged that the head needs to rotate that much. I received a free Fusion Proglide from Gillette in the mail, so of course I used it. My shave this morning was incredibly smooth. They razor wasn't rotating to the extreme they show in the commercials, but it was able to hit those subtle curves so nicely. As someone who never looks forward to my morning shave, I am actually excited to bust this out again tomorrow morning. I generally have thought that there wasn't much of a difference between the easy disposable razors and the high-end ones, but this razor changed my mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best razor ever, May 31, 2014
Paka Paka (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I think this may be the best razor my husband has ever used. I normally make fun of him for regrowing a beard by the time he comes home from work at night. The morning he used this razor he was in the bathroom saying "whoa! Whoa! this feels great!" He made me come and feel his cheeks. At night, his cheeks were still baby smooth! He demonstrated the Flexball thingy and I asked if that had anything to do with his shave being so close. He wasn't sure and neither was I, but I know that my man's cheeks were like baby's butts. Funny, because we were looking at a shaver for over two hundred dollars at Bloomingdales -- I doubt you can get better than this shave!

5.0 out of 5 stars SUCH A SMOOTH SHAVE!, June 13, 2014
When I received my Gillette Fusion Proglide Razor with Flexball Handle from Gillette to review I was thoroughly impressed with the overall design right off the bat. It was easy to get out of the package and znc I could feel that it was made out of good solid materials. I used the Gillette shaving gel and put this bad boy to the test and boy did it deliver! It easily shaved around the curvature of my face with ease. I experienced no cuts or discomfort while shaving with this razor. The swivel handle helped with being able to maneuver around and get all the areas of my face shaved evenly. Usually I have to shave over my face several times before it gets the whiskers in certain areas of my face but I was able to shave over just once and it got nearly all of it. I've been using this razor for several days now and it gets the job done shaves smooth and close. When I got the razor I did an unboxing and first shave test for those interested it can be viewed here! [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad loved it, June 7, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My dad used this and loved it. He previously had the regular 5-blade Gillette Fusion razor but said the flexible head was even better. He could get much closer and actually shaved faster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic razor, the flexball makes a difference, June 2, 2014
J. York (Cypress, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Gillette Fusion Flexball is a fantastic disposable razor system. The fusion heads give an easy smooth shave without roughing up my skin and the Flexball handle noticeably improves the razor's ability to follow the contours of my skin. With my old Fusion handles, certain areas of my neck would require multiple passes from multiple different angles to get every stray whisker. The Flexball handle seems to twist just enough to keep the cutting surface flat against my face and neck at all times, eliminating the need for extra passes.

The new Flexball handle seems to fit existing Fusion blades, so you can use your old stash of blades with this new handle. I didn't notice any changes with the razor blades themselves; they're excellent as they have always been. The main reason to get this is for the Flexball handle.

I have very soft facial hair and each razor head lasts me three uses. I buy blade refills at Costco but the bulk price on Amazon is pretty reasonable as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great razor for sensitive skin., July 25, 2014
Gillette sent me this razor for free to test out. I usually don't like these 5+ blade razors for one main reason, they don't get under your nose very well, so your mustache is always sloppily shaved. This razor is absolutely the exception because of one feature, a trimming razor on the reverse side. This is my favorite feature, as Gillette addressed the main problem with these multi-blade razors by adding such a simple solution that's so easy to use.

Regarding the other features of the razor, they are a lot less gimmicky as I thought they would be. The flexball and the tilt of the blade makes it great for sensitive skin. It takes pressure and control out of your hand to make it swivel to the contours of your face so that you aren't pressing hard enough to cause damage to your skin. It's something that can take some getting used to for people like me who like to press hard to get the closest shave. Not being able to press very hard makes it very gentle on your skin while still being a very close shave.

The only downside to taking away pressure control is that it doesn't get as close as you may like. There were a few scruffy parts on my chin that I went over a few times with the blade, but just couldn't get close enough because of the lack of pressure control. It get's closer than I thought it would get for such a sensitive blade, but I prefer a bit more control when shaving since I don't have sensitive skin.

Overall, this is a great razor, and by far my favorite multi-blade razor that I've used so far. I HIGHLY recommend this razor for anyone who wants a shave that's easier on their skin. If you like the closest shave possible, I'd try something else.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best manual razor that I've found so far! However the ball is a gimmick IMHO!, September 2, 2014
I have been using this new Gillette Fusion razor for about a month now and wanted to compare it to multiple razors before reviewing. I am a razor fanatic and have tried many razors from Battery Powered razors to regular old school 2 blade disposable razors. I would say out of all the razors I have tried thus far, this razor is the best of everything thus far. It shaves effortlessly and minimizes razor bumps noticeably. It also seems that the lubricating strip is not leaking or just wiping away after a few uses, making it last much longer and provide a smoother shave overall. I have also been using the previous generation fusion razor which is also very good, and I wouldn't say that this razor is a large improvement if any improvement at all. I think the ball is a gimmick because there really isn't any side pressure given to a razor unless you are slicing your face. If it was less rigid with it's side motion it might be useful but I think it is useless other than marketing with the current design. The blades do seem to pull less than the fusion however and I think the improvement is marginal but good. Overall, I would say the new blades are better but the actual razor itself is overkill and unnecessary if you already have a fusion razor. My only complaint is the razors are getting a little ridiculous on the cost side and I'm tempted to go back to a foil razor again to see if I can save some money on expensive cartridges.

Overall it's a very good product and an improvement over all the razors before it. I will probably purchase more of these cartridges as well as look for a cheaper alternative in the mean time.