Gilmore Girls: Season 1
Format: DVDChange
Price:$27.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

This is a great show. It's smart and funny. Fast paced, and not boring at all. Fantastic!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
While flipping through channels a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon Gilmore Girls. I recall when the series was first aired in 2000 and for some reason I never got around to watching an episode. What caught my eye was that Lauren Graham was constantly carrying around a cup of coffee, which so do I. After twenty minutes of viewing and listening to the snappy dialogue, I was now a fan. A few days later I went to a Target store in the city and found seasons one and two bundled together for twenty dollars.

Gilmore Girls is set in the small, wacky town of Stars Hollows, where single mother Lorelai (played by Lauren Graham), manager of the Independence Inn, is raising her sixteen-year-old daughter Rory (played Alexis Bledel). When her daughter is accepted into the Chilton Preparatory School, Lorelai asks her rich estranged parents for financial help due to the school's expensive tuition. Of course things are not so simple as her parents want them to have Friday night dinners with them and be an active involvement in their lives.

Besides from Lorelai and Rory's addiction to coffee, I like their quirky personalities. Lorelai is a fun and carefree mother, while Rory is a Harvard bound book nerd. The dialogue between the two is smart, snappy, and more real than other scripted shows. There are other colorful characters on the show as well, such as Luke Danes who owns the local diner; Lane Kim, Rory's best friend (When the series started the actress was 27 playing a 16 year-old.); and Sookie St. James, Lorelai's best friend and head chef at the Independence Inn (played by Melissa McCarthy).

In just over a week, I watched the entire first season, but I did skip over a few that I had already seen. Even though the show is almost twelve years old, I find it to be a bit of fresh air compared to other horribly scripted shows on network television today.
on May 25, 2007
Oh, Gilmore! *sigh* You were so young!

Let's start this off with a statement: I am a GIGANTIC Gilmore fan. GIGANTIC! I've watched this show since I was 15 years old, so I feel as if I've grown up with it and its characters.

This is the very first season. Rory is an innocent, inexperienced little one (yes, I'm getting sentimental even though Rory is a year or two older than I am). Lorelai is still working at the Independence Inn and, of course, looking for a man (which she does basically throughout the series. Luke forever! Okay. I'll stop, ha), dealing with her parents, and caring for the love of her life: Her daughter, Rory, whom she had at the age of 16, which created a myriad of problems between her and her parents, Emily and Richard Gilmore.

The first season of the show revolves around Rory and Lorelai's relationship, their loves lives, and their outside school/working lives. Rory enrolls into Chilton, an esteemed prep school, and she meets a group of girls including the sarcastic Paris Gellar. Lorelai is working at her Inn with her best friend, Chef Sookie, and rude but funny as hell Michel. The show is also infused with the goings on of Stars Hollow (where Lorelai and Rory live), which happens to be a town I would die to live in with people I would die to call my friends. The townies are hilarious. Luke, who owns the local diner, is just beyond words awesome. And if you don't end up wanting Luke and Lorelai together by the first season...you are basically not good. Haha. Just playing. The show also has the Gilmore (aka: the rich world Lorelai left at 16) world alongside the Stars Hollow world. It is filled with Friday Night Dinners, fancy parties hosted by Emily, and enough guilt and resentment to make anyone become a coffee addict like Lorelai Gilmore.

The writing is so great thanks to Amy Sherman-Palladino, Daniel Palladino, and other writers. The show has such heart, charm, and wit. The characters are the best I've ever seen on any television show. The performances are all great - especially Lauren Graham (Lorelai Gilmore) and Kelly Bishop's (Emily Gilmore). Scott Patterson (Luke Danes) is also great throughout the series, but never receives the credit he should. But do remember, I'm a GIGANTIC fan, so I could be bias.

Basically...watch the damn show. If you don't like it, something is wrong with you. Just joking.
VINE VOICEon March 23, 2007
Having literally grown up together, 16-year-old Rory Gilmore and her 32-year-old mother Lorelai are best friends. They share a love for breathless quip-filled conversation and coffee, frequenting Luke's Diner in the downtown of Stars Hollow, their fictitious Connecticut suburb.

In Season 1, Rory decides she wants to transfer from the public high school to Chilton, a ritzy private school in Hartford. To make it happen, Lorelai has to make the ultimate sacrifice -- beseech her parents Richard and Emily, with whom she hasn't been on good terms since she announced her teenage pregnancy. Although estranged with Lorelai, the elder Gilmores are more than eager to accept their young granddaughter into their lives. They agree to foot the bill -- on one condition. Both Lorelai and Rory must attend dinner at the elder Gilmores' home every Friday evening.

Reluctantly, Lorelai agrees. The resulting Friday night dinners set the stage for much hilarity and snark -- as well as the occasional glimpse into the Gilmores' sad past, hinting at everything that went wrong in their relationship, well before Rory's birth.

Also seen on the show are diner proprietor Luke, a quiet, loyal friend to both mother and daughter with a building crush on Lorelai; Lane, the Korean-American daughter of a stern single mother and Rory's best friend; Kirk, a quirky "townie" who mysteriously shows up everywhere anyone's doing anything; dance instructor and romance expert Miss Patty; and many others.

Although the show is supposedly set in Connecticut, the writers and producers never really make that believable to a native (i.e. Rory and Lorelai walking around with thin coats, wide open, supposedly in the middle of winter. Still, I can overlook that -- it's fun having one of my favorite shows set in my own state. That way, I almost feel like I might really bump into a Stars Hollow resident somewhere along my way... :-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2005
First and foremost, I must begin by saying that Gilmore Girls is the best television show I have seen in years. I must start with the cast. Lauren Graham couldn't be better for the role of the mother, Loralei Gilmore. And Rory wouldn't be Rory without Alexis Bledel's angelic appearance and amazing acting skills.

Gilmore Girls is a story of a young mother and daughter who, surprisingly, are best friends. Rory is 16 and Loralei is 32 (Loralei dropped out of highschool at 16 when she became pregnant with Christopher's baby). At the beginning of the season, Loralei wants Rory to go Chilton, a Connecticut prep school. But the only way in is to pay the costly tuition, and the only way to get the money is to ask dear mom and dad for the loan, which means in return, you will have to meet with them for dinner every Friday evening. And that, my friend, is the last thing Loralei wants to do after sixteen years of freedom from her pushy, proper, rich, and conniving parents, Richard and Emily Gilmore. But Rory must go to Chilton. So Loralei must go to dinner. Over the season, you are introduced to more and more characters. Luke Danes, the diner guy who never takes his hat off and hardly ever says a word. But Luke would do anything for Loralei because he has a crush on her. Then there is Dean, Rory's first boyfriend. Ahh, first love. Dean thinks nothing but of Rory and would do anything for her. Next is Lane Kim, Rory's best friend. Lane is Korean and her mother is very religious and strict. Which means, but of course, a lot of sneaking around. Then, there's Sookie St. James, best friend and coworker of Loralei. Sookie is bubbly, funny, and the world's best chef. Then comes Jackson, Sookie's future husband, but for now, the vegetable guy who has a major crush on Sookie. And Sookie, poor thing, is clueless. Michelle is Loralei's french coworker at the Independence Inn. And most of the time, she would love to slap him. Miss Patty is the town gossiper, an old beauty who still instructs dance lessons and is a little over the top. But every town has one of those. Next up is Taylor, town mayor, owner of everything, and Luke's arch enemy. Then there's Kirk, the town geek who has a lot of strange ideas. Moving on to Rory's classmates, Paris Geller, the perfectionist who needs a therapist and would like nothing better than to take smart and pretty Rory down. Madelyn and Louise are her possy that think nothing but of fashion and have brains the size of peanuts. Then there's Tristan, the preppy, stuck up, school hottie who is dying for Rory, but Rory hates him. Oh the drama. But the best thing about Gilmore Girls is how all these characters come together with their wacky personalities and create a bond. Stars Hollow is really the perfect, ideal small town filled with busy bodys. But that's to be expected. Loralei and Rory have an unexplainable bond and work perfectly together. Loralei's witty sense of humor ties it all together. With a brilliant cast, a brilliant writer, and a brilliant director, Gilmore Girls is everything you could hope for in a TV show. It's warm, funny, and sweet. It's one of a kind. And I hope this review has persuaded you to buy this season, because you're really missing out on something if you don't. This is a classic that you will never forget.
on September 3, 2004
My ex-girlfriend first suggested this show to me last year, and I was skeptical. I thought it would be some boring soap opera, and I really didn't care for the premise. But, this show is so good and entertaining that, I can't stop watching it.

The funny thing is, I can't figure out what I love about it, and why it's better than other shows I like a lot such as Dawson's Creek, and 7th Heaven. The chemistry is probably the part that gets me the most, especially between our central characters: Lorelai and Rory, Lorelai and Emily, Sookie and Lorelai, Sookie and Jackson, Luke and Lorelai, Rory and Paris, Rory and Lane. It's well scripted and the acting is top notch.

Besides all that, what else is there? The story arc is fantastic, as bland as it could have been. Lorelai is a 32 year old mother of a teenage daughter, Rory, who's almost 16. Lorelai has raised her daughter on her own in a small town called Stars Hollow, in Connecticut, along with some help with many great friends along the way (Luke, Bebe + Maury, Miss Patty, Sookie St. James, and Rory's best friend Lane, and soon to enter would be Paris, and Dean.). The best part is that nobody really has a background role. All the roles are pretty important to each character in some way, and it's all connected. A lot of real life situations are met along the way: Rory starts a new school, Rory's first kiss, Lorelai and Rory's english teacher date, Rory's school dance and not being home by curfew, pressures by an overbearing mother and father, class differences, jealousy, birth out of wedlock, etc. All are taken seriously, but are not over done, nor are they melodramatic as they are in shows such as Dawson's Creek, or even Full House.

I think what I love most is how much I see in Rory and Lorelai's great relationship. I see a lot of me in both of them (even though I am male). And their mother-daughter relationship is very familiar to me. It's nice to see that kind of thing on TV, something that not all families get to share. That awesome closeness, coupled with the dark juxtaposition between Lorelai, and her mom.

This show really is for everyone, and I really encourage everyone to check this show out. You won't be disappointed, I promise.
on August 3, 2005
The most appealing storyline for me is the Lorelei-Emily relationship. As much as I love the dynamics of Rory-Lorelei relationship, the Lorelei-Emily is the one that truly made me a fan of the show. And I guess season 1 gave us a lot of stories about that, because as the season goes on, even though they still have conflicts, they are in better terms now generally compared to the first 2 seasons.

The show is populated by great supporting characters, my favorite besides Emily of course (played to perfection by Kelly Bishop) is Paris (played effortlessly by Liza Weil), the overachiever who won't quit. I miss when Rory and Paris were archrivals. I also love the audiophile Lane, out of this planet Kirk, omnipresent Taylor, bowtied Richard, horny Miss Pattie and the sweet as candy Sookie.

Some of the standout episodes of Season 1 are:

-Pilot (one of the best pilots I have seen, great setup for the characters)

-The Lorelei's First Day at Chilton

-Rory's Birthday Parties

-Kiss and Tell

-Rory's dance (great dramatic showdown for Emily and Lorelei, "She's gonna get pregnant like you")

-Christopher Returns

-The breakup Part 2 (great Rory episode, and great ending)

-Ps I Lo.. (the reaction of Emily when Rory ran away and came to their house was priceless)

-Love, Daisies, and Troubadours (the season ended on a high note, how can you resist the two girls jumping like crazy at the end of the episode)

Grade: A
on January 31, 2006
I loved this DVD, great special features, great actors, great plots! gilmore Girls is a must see show! Great Gift for anyone 11-16. I reccomend any season of Gilmore Girls, i'm telling you this is a truly great show... I'm Hooked!
on March 12, 2006
This was a gift for my daughter who is 12. She is a big Gilmore Girls fan and did not get into them until the past year. Now she can't wait to get the second season! She is all ready saving up for the purchase.
on May 5, 2004
I couldn't even attempt to list my favorite shows in order of importance. Now that Friends is leaving, I am sad but comforted that at least I still have my "Gilmore Girls". This show has a biting quick wit. Now on DVD, I can watch some of my favorite episodes any time I want, and I find as I watch, not only am I recalling some of my favorite lines and puns, but I'm catching jokes I missed the first time around, and I am still laughing and still being surprised. This show is suitable for families to watch together, and enjoy quality time together as the Gilmore Girls do. This show is fresh, current with loads of pop culture references peppered through to keep you on your toes. Thank you WB for finally releasing the gilmore girls to be accessable, flowing out among the people with their brilliant humor and tongue twisting gymnastics.
everyone enjoy!!!!!