Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 28, 2011
I hate ginger. I'm Chinese and nothing has converted me except for these ginger chews. Yummy, yummy. I set out a candy bowl with this and watched it convert people into ginger lovers in a slow wave across the room. Little kids started begging for this.

The texture is somewhat like a very soft tootsie roll with a mild graininess.

Oh yes. It opens up the sinuses a bit and is supposed to be anti-nausea. It has helped mildly with my sinus problems. I wouldn't know about the nausea. But keep a few in your car. Never know when it might help.
11 comment19 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2011
These are SO yummy and fun! I received these yummy little ginger bites as a gift last week. Enclosed in a handy zip top bag, each approx. 3cm long double- wrapped chew (white wrapper on candy then then colorful company wrapper on the outside) is coated with an appealing white powder that keeps the chews from sticking to the paper, and also gives each ginger chew just the right amount of tooth resistance.

However! That being said, as you continue to eat these little mouth fulls of gingery-peppery goodness your jaws start sticking together and your teeth become covered in thick gelatinous candy. You spend time removing candy from your molars (and proceed to open another!)

Eating Ginger Chews can be fun to eat and may be a bit of a challenge, but they are well worth it if you love ginger like I do.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2014
I have purchased The Ginger People's Original Ginger Chews locally at a specialty food store and they were great. These ones being sold on Amazon are different and not nearly as good. The Original are softer and more flavorful and the portion size is larger and they are packaged in a double wrapping of paper.

The ones sold here are harder in composition and packaged in a foil seal that is designed for maximum shelf life. Same company and same name but not the same product. Most unfortunate.

The UPC for the good version of these Ginger Chews is 734027905481 that shows the product as being made for Royal Pacific Foods.
on July 16, 2012
I bought these when I was pregnant because I was looking for something to help with morning sickness, and ginger helps a lot. They worked so well (way better than those nasty Preggie Pops) that I ended up using them through all 3 of my pregnancies. Plus, they taste good and have just a little kick to them. I even eat them when I'm not pregnant! :-P
on July 20, 2008
I am a candied ginger fan,and these chews are so much better,in that they don't have all the sugar crystals coating them,and they last longer as you can let them just melt in your mouth.So much more flavorful,too;and ginger is good as a sort of natural upset stomach reliever.There are 2 flavours that I have tried-regular and apple;both are excellent!
on December 7, 2011
I would never have bought these on my own because I'm not one to try new things, but a friend gave me one to try, and I loved it! I have since bought some of my own at the local bulk store. Another reviewer mentioned a white coating on the surface of the candy and thought perhaps the candy wasn't fresh. It appears to be powdered sugar (or something similar) that the candy was tossed in when it was still warm, probably to keep the ginger chews from sticking to their wrappers. I don't believe it has anything to do with the freshness of the product, although it's obviously possible that that person's candies might not have been fresh. I can't vouch for the anti-nausea effect, but these ginger chews sure are good!
on March 4, 2012
I had hormone problems that caused frequent nausea, and these ginger chews were the 1 thing that helped. I usually don't eat a whole chew at one time, just because of how sticky they can be. If you try chewing a whole piece, it'll take forever to get it out of your teeth. There is a mild "kick" in the flavor, which I like. I found them to be rather finicky when it came to temperature - too cool (like in a cold car in the winter-time) and the chews would be hard as a rock, too warm (like in a pocket) and they'd be SUPER sticky.
on March 22, 2012
I get these at Trader Joe's and I just love them. They have a ginger-peppery kick to them and just the right amount of sweetness. They are spicy and wonderful, a good way to satisfy a sweet tooth!
As a fan of ginger beers, ginger ales, ginger drops, and ginger chews (but NOT ginger bread or boys), I have no trouble awarding Gin-Gins a "high-five.". It's clearly the "best of breed" for the following reasons: 1. individual wrappers prevent drying-out of the candy yet are quick and easy to tear apart; 2. each candy is sprinkled with a light, powdered sugar to prevent sticking of the candy to the paper wrapper; 3. the individual candies are not so small that 2-3 pieces are unsatisfying nor so big that a single piece needs to be trimmed to a mouth-sized morsel; 4. the texture is as close to perfection as it gets--chewy (satisfying that oral instinct) without being sticky; rubbery but yielding to the mouth's digestive juices prior to being perceived as a foreign invader.

Finally, the most important feature deserving commendation--taste. The ginger is plenty spicy and "hot" but not so much that it neutralizes or, in effect, burns away, the taste buds for the next half-minute (a complaint I have against extreme hot pepper sauces like Mclhenny's Tobasco Sauce). Ginger should never be so hot that eating it becomes the heroic act of a masochist. I can't buy the notion that the therapeutic benefits attributed to ginger increase with the displeasure, or even pain, of eating it. Gin Gins have an agreeable but temporary "burn" that disappears in time for the taste of ginger to emerge as a clear winner.

In short, upper-scale ginger candy for the discerning palate.

The only reservation one might have about Gin Gins might be their relatively high expense. But the individual who can limit his intake to no more than several per day will be generously repaid by a superior product. (Should they exhaust the budget too quickly, give JuJu Fruit candy a try--seriously. At best, you'll stay within budget; at worst, you'll set yourself up for renewed pleasure with your next order of ginger.)
on March 14, 2012
These are pretty tasty, but the flavor is VERY strong. The main problem with them is the texture - too much chewing required, and they stick in your teeth. I like ginger, but not these candies. I'll stick with crystallized ginger instead.