4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Flatware

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the same quality as original Gingko
Published 16 months ago by smc

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Flatware, February 22, 2008
Sally N. Freestone (Foster, Rhode island) - See all my reviews
This solidly-made, lovely set of flatware is weighty and elegant, equally at ease for serving breakfast and a gourmet dinner for The Queen. My only criticism is that the knives are, for me, too rounded at the blade end- I would have wished for a more pointed tip and perhaps a slightly better cuttting edge. Yet, all in all, this is a very useful and satisfying set of cutlery- I like it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Milano Flatware, May 21, 2007
Excellent color. Very well made. Dishwasher safe. Would buy this product again.

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants something really nice for their dining. This can be used both inside and outside for dining al fresco.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Day Flatware, August 23, 2007
MVK (Silver Spring, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
I was pleased to find a replacement for my everyday flatware that is sturdy and nice looking as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Flatware, December 5, 2009
I've owned this stainless steel flatware for nearly ten years in several different colors. It looks today as new as the day I bought it. It washes beautifully, with a nice shine, and is practically indestructible. I bought the red to have a nice splash of holiday color against the white tablecloth. The white is especially elegant. This type of flatware is reminiscent of what we had when I was a kid. Actually, the knives are about perfect to me. The stainless steel is hard, so I've never had a problem cutting through anything. Very retro and practical.... love it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the same quality as original Gingko, July 17, 2013
I was replacing some worn Ginkgo purchased 20 and 10 years ago! The dark green color that I just received is a much, much darker green than the original and the metal is thinner, of a lesser quality. I was disappointed and returned the set. I will not purchase Gingko again, despite loving my original Gingko. 2 stars, not 1 as the flatware is an attractive, affordable option for occasional use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, April 20, 2013
I've been thinking about buying this flatware for quite a while and finally the timing was right. They are more than I expected. They have a nice heft to them that surprised me. The handles are a muted and aged yellow which is very appealing. All the seams seem tight. They appear to be constructed to last.

4.0 out of 5 stars great for day-to-day, November 27, 2010
If you like this kind of flatware, go with Ginkgo. The cost is very reasonable and the quality is so much better than those you can pick up at, say, Bed Bath and Beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service, January 5, 2011
I received a broken piece in my shipment and I received exemplary customer service. I received the replacement very quickly. I highly recommend this company! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, December 21, 2008
Fits in the hand nicely and feels sturdy and solid, all while it is pretty.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice / Feels Nice - BUT !, January 1, 2013
Hi:

I live in Canada and purchased 3 Ginkgo 20 pc sets in "White" a couple of years ago. Even on sale at Amazon.com these sets were pretty expensive after I paid the duty and international shipping fees.

The flatware was washed approximately every second day in our Kenmore Elite dishwasher with Turbo Jets On ( high water pressure ) and the Heated Dry Function was ON ( a Heat Element used to Speed up the Drying ) .

About the sixth month time frame, all the handles ( spoons / Knives / Forks etc ) all started to separate from the stainless steel blades, because the so called Stainless Steel rivets that you see are not Rivets at all, but fake insert rivets installed into the handles on each side. The visual s.s. rivets that you see, do not in any way hold or join these handles together. The handles are "not" ceramic but are of a durable plastic construction. Two tiny plastic posts connect and join the two handles together ( they simply snap/lock together - not glued ) and they are a flimsy poor construction to say the lease. Once they get heated these tiny joining posts pull apart and then the with in a few minutes the handles then bend and warp from very little heat like the normal hot water temps used in most dishwasher.

The flatware is an excellent size but the larger table spoons could have been a little more rounder and not as pointed on the spoon part. Unfortunately this brand of Flatware with it's current plastic handles and design flaws is a super poor buy if you are intending to wash them in your dishwasher that uses heated water or the heat dry function turned on.

You will not get one full year out of a set, and all you can do is throw them into the garbage once the plastic handles snaps apart from the heat and both sides instantly separate from the stainless steel blades. I tried five minute expoxy glue and the glue eventually gives up, again due to the water heat.

The "Ginkgo Company" need to make this set with real Stainless Steel Rivets that actually go all the way through and lock both sides of the handles together. The handles must also be made out of a true ceramic material to better handle the heat that is created by a normal dishwasher. I would be more than willing to pay another $20. for each set "Ginkgo" if a higher quality and durability for dishwashers was in this product.

The problem is clearly a poor handle design, when the product is being use in a dishwasher. These flatware sets are after all, are intended and marketed for everyday use. But as previously stated are a very poor buy for every day use.

The other alternative here is to use them only on special occasions and to wash them by hand. I truly hope this is helpful to all, and that "Ginkgo" considers my personal advise that I have stated. It's time to make a quality product "GINKGO". Its either that, or eventually poor sales will determine your fate as a manufacturer of everyday flatware. JT