1,332 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars These very sharp knives offer great value for your money
Published on May 14, 2007 by Josh

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter set
Published on September 13, 2008 by BRKLYN

5.0 out of 5 stars These very sharp knives offer great value for your money, May 14, 2007
This review is from: Ginsu 04817 International Traditions 14-Piece Knife Set with Block, Natural (Kitchen)
We bought this set 2 months back after reviewing them on Amazon. Since this is our first knife set I can not really compare with other name brand products in the market. But these were cheapest among the lot, and we are very pleased with their initial quality. As mentioned by other reviewers they are very very sharp, and easily cut through straight. The blades are thick and the handles look solid. We always wash/dry them by hand right after the use and never put them in dishwasher. We have not seen a single rust spot or any discoloration of handles. I will definitely buy more of these to gift friends and family.

Update on Sept 30, 2007:
After 6 months of use, I still stand by my review. The sharpness is intact and there are no rust spots at all. Very pleased with the quality and super low price. I regret not picking more of these from Sears Clearance, where I bought them for less than $20.

Update on Nov 26, 2010:
Just wanted to give a quick update that these knives are still performing great.

Sept 28, 2011:
Still going strong. No issues. No rust. the two knives that we use every single day, have lost some of their sharpness, but they still have few more years left in them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cutting and slicing is a pleasure with these sharp knives!, June 3, 2007
Suddenly, I feel like cooking again. Chopping onions, dicing carrots, making perfect juliennes with red peppers and mincing the garlic fine for my famous (!) vegetable medley is...effortless. All because of these knives. Ooh they are sharp! So be careful or you may end cutting yourself!

I love the fact that the knives are sharp right out the box. Many people swear by their forged knife blades but that makes the knives heavier. I have another set from Pinzon (Amazon's brand) and yet another from Cuisinart that I barely use as they are heavier and not as sharp as these knives. I think stamped blades are great as they are lighter and thinner like these Ginsu knives. If you cut vegetables more than meat then you need knives like these. For meat you need heavier blades with more balance and "brute force". For slicing a tomato so fine that you can see through it you need a Ginsu. With a Ginsu in your hand you'll end up sculpting roses from your radishes!

Update 11/5/08: I have been using these knives for 1.5 years now. They're still doing fine and are still very sharp. I regularly throw them in the dishwasher and they have not shown any signs of rusting. I love these knives and miss them if I am cooking somewhere else. I use the steak knives as everyday knives for slicing veggies and they work very well. If I ever purchase another set I will go with Ginsu again.

Update: 8/27/2013: Still using these knives after 6 years. Still going strong and are pretty sharp. Although we took to using some as box cutters and for other reasons and lost a few of the steak knives. Luckily, Amazon sells steak knives separately in packs of 4 Ginsu Essential Series 4-Piece 4.5-Inch Stainless Steel Steak Knife Set with Triple Riveted Polymer Handles 4805 so I ordered more.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value, November 25, 2006
Roy Gordon (Berkeley, CA USA) - See all my reviews
We needed some new knives, but I couldn't see spending hundreds of $$$.

Yes, these are at the lower end and there are undoubtedly much better (and more expensive) sets out there.

But these feel OK, are very sharp (as other reviewers reported), seem to be sufficiently sturdy, and have ably carried out the various mundane tasks we've put them to.

For $24.99, what a value!!!

--------------------------------------

Update 11/21/08: We've had these 2 years now. The very sharp edges have gone, but the steak knives still are OK cutting, not great. But, I never sharpen them. I don't like the long thin knife (it's not serrated, so not a bread knife): the blade isn't stiff enough. (Hey, we're talking less than $30 for the set!) I really don't use the others.

I liked the steak knives so well that I ordered a second set of just them. It's a little weird at first doing paring with a serrated blade, but then you get used to it.

I'm still very pleased with the purchase overall and regard it, even as the price has increased a few dollars, as a true bargain.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good starter set, September 13, 2008
If you are on a budget but need good sharp knives to last you for a little while...these are great! They are sharp and they do their job well. But be warned, these do rust after about 8 months if you aren't careful. I suggest washing after every time you use them and don't put them in the dishwasher to make them last longer. Other than that, they are sharp enough for general kitchen cutting,

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible price for a GOOD set of knives, April 23, 2007
Okay, so we'll be honest here... These aren't the BEST knives ever. They aren't nearly as heavy and solid feeling as some might like.. but for this price you absolutely cannot get a better knife. I bought this set as a gift for someone who has a bit of a love-affair with "sharp knives"... and he was absolutely 100% pleased with this set. They are incredibly sharp and easy to manage. Best knives ever? Of course not-- but do they get the job done (meaning, do they CUT well?) absolutely yes!

As a side note-- in response to those who are complaining about rust spots-- that is what happens when you put knives in a dish washer. All knives should always be washed BY HAND and dried immidiately (regardless of what the packaging says!) Complaining about rust spots after having put them into a DISHWASHER is like complaining about ruining your silk shirt after putting it into the washing machine. With proper care, these knives will not disapoint someone looking for a good, sharp everyday kitchen knife.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loose and rusted within a month!, December 11, 2009
I loved these knives....:( Unfortunately within a month the handles were loose and even after religious hand-washing/drying...rust! Contacted their customer support...they would replace the knives for 3$ each...hmmm...don't think so! NEVER AGAIN!!! Too bad really as they started out a dream.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not bother, December 13, 2012
This is the worst set I have ever purchased. The knives got here on the 3rd of December, its the 13th and now I start seeing rust spots. I definitely do not recommend this set.

1.0 out of 5 stars dissapointed, April 11, 2012
I was very excited for these knives to arrive based on the good reviews. I ignored the bad ones.... and wish i hadn't. 3 days after they arrived, after being washed ONCE, 3 of the steak knives had horrible rust spots. Than two of the larger knives got rusty around the base of the blade, near the handle on day 4. Mind you i hand washed and dried them both times i washed them. Very poor quality, and they are supposed to be stainless? My $2 knife from Walmart has held up for 4+ years and a $30 set rusts in 3 days? No thanks, I sent it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Set! At a Great Price!, August 3, 2006
After going through several cutlery sets that only got duller and duller over time, or just simply broke,

I went for this set and am VERY pleased.

Unbelievable quality at this price.

The knives are full tang, meaning the metal extends all the way to the end of the handle, not just riveted on.

So broken blades are a thing of the past.

(A knife from one "brand-name" set I previously owned, not "full tang", broke cutting cheddar cheese!)

Nice wooden storage block.

I would warn that these knives are SHARP. Handle with care

when you first use them. Especially the first time you happen to hand wash them.

Well worth the money.

And Super Saver shipping only sweetens the deal.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ginsu Knife Set, February 10, 2009
KM Fern (Portland-ish) - See all my reviews
When I got this set I did not realize that they are all fluted serrated knives other than the santoku knife so I was initially disappointed, but once I tried these I just fell in love with them. They are now my favorite knives, I like them even better than Henkles, because you don't need to sharpen them and the price is right on! I was so surprised how smoothly these knives slice through anything and since they are so sharp it is easy to control the blade to make perfectly even slices.

Update:

I changed my initial review of 5 stars to 3 stars because these knives work great at first, but you can't really re-sharpen them and I have grown to prefer weighted knives that I can resharpen. I replaces these with another set awhile ago.