5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, good value.
Published on June 30, 2011 by CDW43

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent
I'm happy with the bike for the price. At first I was a little disappointed with the packaging and had some small scratches in the paint. The general set up was easy, even if you are not too familiar with bikes. The most difficult part was tweaking the brakes, but the brakes that come standard with the bike are of poor quality and I upgraded those right away. I still...
Published 15 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy, good value., June 30, 2011
This review is from: Giordano Libero 1.6 White/Red Men's Road Bike-700c (Sports)
This is my 1st road bike. I have had it for about two weeks and I am very happy. I did not want to spend the $700.00 for an entry level bike at my local bike shop and I feel like this was a good choice. I had a friend who has been riding for 20+ years help me adjust and set everything up. He was very suprised with the quality, and told me it was a great value. I can see the difference between this bike and the nicer ones, but I am very pleased with my choice. I just did not want to commit to the higher price. Its not very heavy and it looks very nice. The pictures dont do it justice. I would recomend this to anyone who wants to see if they would enjoy biking without the higher price. I have already rocomended it to a few friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars 2,800 Mile Update - Changed Some Components Along The Way, December 18, 2013
T. Penick (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
I decided to wait until I had at least 1,000 miles on this bike before writing this review. Overall, the bike is very good for a beginner road bike, which is exactly what I wanted after 2 years of riding with a Hybrid Bike. Here is the main theme of this review - If you are unsure about road biking and want to enter the sport with as little investment as possible, buying this bike is a good idea. Now that I am sucked into road biking, which was my goal, I find that I keep replacing items because they wear out or I need better performance from the bike.

I rode all summer with the Cleveland Touring Club and was able to keep up with the beginner group on the week night rides. Why is this important? Because we climb hills and I was on the least expensive bike of the group but still able to keep pace with everyone. As the season went on, I grew in strength and stamina and really started to enjoy this bike. I will purchase a high-end bike in 3-5 years but I see myself cycling 3,000 or 4,000 miles on this bike in 2014 and again in 2015.

This part is important!!! Items I have upgraded that I feel were necessary to enjoy this bike on longer rides and high mileage: Good Road Bike Tires, Chain (original broke at 500 miles), Brakes, Saddle (bike seat), Grip Tape (white gets dirty), Front Derailleur (the one on the bike would never tune just right), and road bike pedals with shoes / cleats. I would estimate I spent another $250 to get this bike to where I felt it was performing at a good level. I also make sure to keep it clean and lubricate the chain every 100 miles. If you are going to buy this bike, you need to consider what you can buy for $700 or $800 dollars at a local bike shop because I truly believe if you start riding several times per week, say 100 miles or more per week, you will need to do similar upgrades to what I have done. I plan to keep the frame but upgrade the front fork and the rest of the components this winter so I am essentially building a new bike. I hope this helps and please feel free to ask questions, I will do my best to answer them.

2,800 Mile Update:
I have owned this bike for about 1 year and I am really into road biking now. I still have the original frame but have upgraded every other component on the bike. The bike has all Shimano 105 components now except for some performance bike brand items like pedals, stem, handlebar and front carbon fork. I am also using the Nashbar Isis bottom bracket and 50/34 compact crank set. I did all of the mechanical work and upgrades myself. I still love the bike and will keep the frame and all the old components for a winter or bad weather bike in the future. I plan to buy a new bike next year but continue to use this bike because it is a very solid performer for an entry level bike. I expect before the end of the summer I will have rode over 5,000 miles on this bike. If I can say anything about the Giordano Libero, it has introduced me to the world of road biking, helped me lose about 50 pounds and created a strong passion for road biking that now takes up a lot of my time and money, ha ha ha.

4.0 out of 5 stars On par for the price, November 26, 2011
OK to task...I purchased this bike in August on sale for 369.00 and it showed up several days later. Assembly was a breeze and there was no damage to the bike. I ordered the 25 in and I am 6'2" and it might be a tad big. Nothing that a few adjustments cant take care of. Right out of the box I did have some shifting issues that I could not take care of on my own. After reading numerous articles and watching YouTube vids I couldn't get it to shift right. I then noticed when looking at my rear Derailleur from the rear it was slightly off parallel to the chain line. So I bent it straight and ordered another rear Derailleur for 18.00 and headed up to my local LBS. He had it adjusted perfectly in about 6 minutes and didn't even need to install the new Derailleur. Now that was irritating since I built my MTB from the ground up with Shimano XT components and cabled and adjusted it myself and it shifts flawlessly.
Keep in mind that this is an entry level bike and it has bottom of the line Shimano components. The 2300 parts on this bike are actually Sora pieces that they no longer make since Sora doesn't come in 8 spd anymore so they came up with the 2300 line. The Shimano component listing goes like this.
For 2011, road bicycle groupsets include:
Dura-Ace Di2 [7970] (10 speed electronic)
Dura-Ace [7900] (10 speed)
Dura-Ace Track [7700]
Ultegra Di2 [6770] (10 speed electronic)
Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
105 [5700] (10 speed)
Tiagra [4600] (10 speed) 9 speed on older models
Sora [3400] (9 speed)
2300 [2300] (8 speed)

Now that being said this component group is fine and it shifts flawlessly once you have it adjusted. I have about 1100 miles on mine and only had to make a few minor adjustments myself to account for cable stretch.
The rims are so so and I knocked mine out of true quite a few times and have since upgraded to VUELTA XRP TEAM SL's and what a difference that made. The tires are cheap Kenda that dont even have a name and for me were prone to flats. Those were upgraded with the wheels.
The seat is horrible for any kind of distance riding and I upgraded that to a Selle Smp Extra and also a Satellite Plus Bontrager Carbon front fork. The fork was 43 dollars on Ebay which is where I buy just about all my parts.
I also installed an adjustable stem to bring the bars farther back and a little higher. I`m not a racer so I dont need to be in a hunched over aero position holding the drops.
All in all it is a decent bike for the price. yes I have updated alot of components but that is just me. I`m never satisfied with what I have and always feel the need to upgrade. The bike was a deal at 369 but you might be able to find a better bike for the 449 that it is going for now. Try bikesdirect.com. If anyone wants i will upload pics with the new components.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for your money, April 26, 2013
I am an avid (poor) cyclist. I usually average about 50km a day when I cycle to and from my house to the downtown core. Getting into cycling is hard for students and people on low budges which is why I purchased this bike.

For the components it came with and the style the price point can't be beat. Just be sure you get the right size. I bought the smallest size which comes with a 54cm headtube. On the website it states this would fit someone 5'7 but be warned if you are 5'7 you should get a 52cm bike. So I had to switch out the stem to a shorter stem for $30 at my local bike shop and now it feels much better.

Pros:
- good value for the $
- great style
- the seat is surprisingly comfortable for stock
- easy to assemble

Cons:
- no assembly instructions in the case (but you can find them online and it is quite easy)
- brakes have very little stopping power (swapping out the brake pads for $10 will fix that)
- measurements stated on the website are misleading
- brake levers are single pulley system and wiggle, under high usage they might rub against the walls of the rim and you might need to swap them out for better brake set

Here is a video review of my assembling the bike:
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Best bike for the price, with some caveats., June 1, 2013
If you're like me, you are looking to get an entry level road bike without paying the standard entry level cost of ~800 bucks. My previous Trek hybrid was stolen and I needed a new bike to start training for a hike. After doing my research, I zeroed in on this bike as being the one with the least mechanical complaints, the best visual design, and the best price point. I was right. The bike rides well, is easy to assemble, and looks great, and I saved a lot of money by not getting a brand name.

DAY 1:
The bike arrived and I unpacked it to discover that a spoke had broken off the front wheel in shipping. I immediately called Amazon customer service and they resolved things quickly to my satisfaction. The assembly was pretty straight forward for not having instructions to look over, but myriad youtube videos clarified unclear issues.

Aside from the broken spoke, I had to align the brake pads and tighten the brakes, but the big issues that I couldn't fix were that the brake calipers were crooked and made my brakes not hit the tire at the same time, and also that the wheels were not true.

DAY 2:
Since I'm riding in NYC I needed to make sure this thing wasn't going to get me killed. So I took it to the shop and they were able to fix the spoke and straighten up the brakes without any problem. I pointedly asked them their thoughts on the bike and if I needed to upgrade any parts -particularly the cheap looking brakes- but to their credit they said no, and that if I don't plan on racing, then this bike is solid and I should just enjoy it.

RIDING:
I've ridden the bike for several miles now across NYC and it holds up very well. The seat was comfortable with my bike shorts and the gears shifted accurately. The bike is definitely a bumpier ride than my old Trek hybrid, but that might just be standard road bike bumpiness, or something I can resolve later through upgrading parts etc. The brakes are not great. I don't stop instantly at full speed, and it feels like I need a good 2-5 ft of clearance to come to a stop at full speed. I will buy new brake pads for 10 bucks to correct this.

VERDICT:
Here is the best endorsement I can give, the bike is such a good deal that after taking it to the shop and riding it around central park I ordered the women's model for my wife. This bike is probably the best entry level priced bike you are going to find anywhere. It looks like a higher end bike, and is built pretty well. I think most of the mechanical complaints mentioned in other reviews here are because of user error (not filling up tires enough, not screwing on the pedals tight enough etc.) And with the money you save, you can upgrade a ton of parts and still not spend as much as you would on a brand name bike. So, buy it, but just know you'll need to take it to the shop for a tune up before it's trafficked-road ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok folks, pay attention and you won't be disappointed in this bike!, September 23, 2013
If you're looking for a top of the line, carbon fiber bike that weighs about 13 ounces, this is not your bike! I am just getting back into riding and I literally started a Google search for "best entry level road bike" and found the Giordano LIbero. I didn't make a hasty purchase, but rather read through tons of reviews here on Amazon as well as independent blogs and checked all of the info from the manufacturer's web site. Let's go step by step:

Purchase: Easy as pie, like every Amazon purchase!

Shipping: Free shipping is a heck of a deal. I only wish it could have shipped on the following Monday, but it wasn't the end of the earth.

Delivery: (This has nothing to do with the bike itself or even Amazon, but I'm going to brag). First of all, the seller shipped this with a SIGNATURE REQUIRED and we weren't home. I contacted our FedEx sales person who kindly drove about 60 miles round trip to bring this to me the same day. SCORE!

The package: The box was in great shape and everything fit very well. All parts were packaged well and nothing was really banging around in the box. There is one small 1" scuff on the right side of the bike by the pedals, but is is hardly noticeable and I'm not mad about it. It looks like a factory blemish.

Directions: The assembly directions have much to be desired. I hadn't put a bike together in a couple of decades, but it was VERY easy with the help of YouTube! YouTube will really help you when it comes to adjusting the brakes. Assembly really was a breeze and took a combined time of about 40 -45 minutes total, including adjustments and tire inflation.

The BIKE: Great looking and feeling bike. At only 24 pounds it is a contender for some serious training and easy hauling if that is your thing. READ THE REVIEWS and everyone's concerns about the brakes. While they are easy to adjust, I will definitely be investing in new brakes (or at least pads?) for my first upgrade. The current pads are a bit on the spongy side and the bike may not have the complete stopping power that you need in an emergency. Replace. The. Brakes. The white handle bar tape grip gets dirty very easy. This will be impossible to keep clean and will be the 2nd upgrade. No biggie, but black or red may have been a better choice. Once adjusted correctly, the Shimano shifters work great and are simple to use.

I really have no complaints about this bike and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. If you're getting back into cycling or want a great workout bike, this is it!

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, March 23, 2012
I'm a 6 year triathlete and an experienced wrench. So far, so good with my new bike! I'm in Boston on assignment with my company, and overall it was cheaper to purchase this than to ship one of my two Felt bikes here... (Plus I'll resell it to a college student in August when I leave!)

Spent 3 hours or so customizing the bike, getting adjustment done etc.

The great - I normally ride a lighter bike with carbon wheels etc. This bike is a beast, and great for riding through Boston and two the local bike trails. Put in a 20 mile ride last night and it did wonderfully. Wheelset seems like it could deal with a pothole or twelve without much problem (schader, not presta valves, btw) integrated shifters, once adjusted, work great.

The good - Overall, feels well built and came in good condition. Some abrasions on the bottom of the front fork, and a chip on the frame.. but overall it looks great too.

The so/so - not a fan of the brakes. Pads dont stop this beast quickly (i'm also 6'3 and good size) so there's a lot to stop. Will upgrade them.

In general I'm very happy with the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Beginner Bike, June 5, 2013
At the outset, let me say I am by no means an expert bicyclist. I can ride a bike just fine, but I don't consider myself to be very knowledgeable about the quality of parts and what is considered to be an entry-level part, and what is considered to be an upgrade. I did not want to spend a huge amount of money since I was just starting bicycling, and after doing a lot of searching and reading reviews, I bought this bike for $345. Although it's a little more than I wanted to spend, compared to what it would cost at your local bike shop, I think this is a very good bargain. I have been riding this bike for about two weeks now, and decided it was time to write a review so that others could use it as a reference to make their decision. Here's a "Plain English" review of this bicycle based on my experience that I hope will be useful to someone else.

I am 5'10" and the 22 inch frame fits me just fine. Shipping from Amazon was great. The bike arrived on the promised date. It looks pretty cool, almost looks like one of the $700 and upwards bike. I am not very knowledgeable about how to use tools, but despite that it was fairly easy to put the bike together. I did take it to my local bike shop to get it tuned up, cost me 65 bucks, but I think it was worth spending that money. Once tuned up, it is a pretty fun bike to ride. It is also very lightweight, and it is extremely easy for me to lift it and take it down the two flights of stairs from my apartment. Once on the road, it seems pretty sturdy, the gears shift pretty well and the bike handles well on the road. In other words, even when cars have whizzed past me at 40 miles an hour, I haven't felt the bicycle wobble. The 16 available gears are plenty in my opinion. After all, I'm not racing 20 other experienced people on the road. I still do not fully understand why some people have said the shifters are cheap, but thus far they have been extremely serviceable to me and have been quite easy to use and shift.

The manual is not very helpful in terms of written explanation on how to assemble things and could be a lot better. I especially struggled with making sure the front brakes were set up properly, they kept touching the rim of the front tire, and I could not get the right adjustment going for quite a while. The cables that shift the gears were not set up correctly, so shifting gears was not initially smooth. The front tire was a little wobbly. My local bike shop got it all straightened out during the tune-up process. (This is why I said earlier that I was happy to spend the $65 to get it tuned up). The tires themselves are pretty flimsy, and once I have gotten used to my bike a little more, I fully intend to get a better set of tires. The current ones are a little too slim for comfort. Having said that, I haven't hit any potholes thus far, so I don't know how they will hold up should something like that happen. A few people in other reviews have complained about the brakes, and I fully concur with them. The brakes are not the best ones out there. If you are one of those who live on top of a hill and have to go downhill at 20-25 miles an hour, I strongly suggest getting the brakes replaced as soon as you get the bike. I mainly ride on flat roads except for going downhill from my apartment complex, and for my routes, the brakes work just fine. The seat is a little hard, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I rode for quite a while without bicycling shorts or padding, and the hard seat did not really bother me much. However, I got my bicycling shorts yesterday and rode my bike wearing them for the first time, and it did make the ride more comfortable. So if you are one of those who goes on long bicycle rides, you may consider getting a better seat.

All in all, my personal opinion is the bike is well worth the money spent including the money spent for tuning it up, and is quite a fun bike to ride at a low cost. I would definitely recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to spend a couple grand on a fancy bike, and wants to just have fun riding it and getting healthier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic buy for the price, September 15, 2013
The Giordano Libero 1.6 Men's Road bike provides new-moderate level cyclists a great bike for all situations. Whether it's climbing, sprints, or leisure riding, this bike fits the bill. I've owned this bike for well over four months and it has performed beautifully. I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This bike is great!!!, July 30, 2013
I paid around $350 for this bike and it is worth far more than every penny spent. BRAKES; if you are having troubles with the breaks don't go to a bike shop where they will tell you to buy new pads or brakes (their job is to sell you stuff), but rather go to YouTube type in "Road Brake Adjustment" by sweetsbench, and learn how to tighten your breaks. I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy better brakes if you want to, but I do get pissed when people who don't know what they are talking about write reviews that are bull before taking a couple of minutes to educate themselves.

The bike is great if you want to get started.

Giordano Libero 1.6 White/Red Men's Road Bike-700c