4.0 out of 5 stars I second that!
Looking for a light inexpensive entry-level tandem. Found the father bike "lamborghini viaggio" but didn't purchase quick enough and it disappeared from the web. Do a search for this and you may find more reviews. The second generation "Giordano Viaggio" is basically the same bike with a couple changes (brakes).

Out-of-the-box:
As the UPS truck drove up...
Published on April 27, 2011 by Wiihab

3.0 out of 5 stars The Vaggio returns!
Published on April 18, 2011 by Robert G. Thibodeau

4.0 out of 5 stars I second that!, April 27, 2011

Out-of-the-box:
As the UPS truck drove up and a cute young lady-driver stepped out I went to meet her thinking she might needed help with the heavy awkward package. Well I was wrong, she strong-armed that box like a pro and when she handed it to me I was shocked at how light the bike was (so far so good). Lucky for me I didn't have a broken spoke like many other reviewers. Everything was packed nicely with little padding and lots of heavy-stock paper wrapping. The bike went together very smoothly, almost everything is Allen wrench bolt tightened except the front axle quick release. I listened to the other reviewers and removed the rims and tires immediately and thoroughly inspected them. Lots of aluminum debris and spoke hole punchings came out (the reason many reviewers have trouble with flats). Yes the seat posts are different diameters because the stoker handle bars attach to the narrow post.

Adjustment period:
Everything must be tuned. Here's what I did, true wheels slightly, adjust seat, bars. Tighten all cables. Adjust both derailleurs range and front position on down-tube. Loosen the idler gear, giving enough slack in the chain. 1 hour riding around my block going through the gears, slamming on the brakes etc. Back to the garage to tighten all the cables again from the stretching. You will need to repeat this in a couple weeks.

Maiden voyage:
After adjusting the bars and seat for my smoking-hot-stoker-wife (5'4"), she and El Capitan (6'0") went for a 20 mile loop ride. She has very little bike experience, and we only rented a tandem once. With a couple stops and lots of "communication" we were able to get in the groove and enjoy the scenery in SF Bay. Everything works great, shifts smoothly (after lots o' adjustment), brakes good-enough.

Read the reviews for the lambo, just ignore comments about the brakes, shifters, flats, broken spokes (those things have been addressed in the giordano)

With a few upgrades this would be a very solid bike. As-is, it is great for the beginning tandem crew, weekend cruisers, and couples who need to work on their "communication".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, good buy for money, September 14, 2011
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
Super quick ship, well packaged, no damage. Bike is excellent department store quality. Once adjusted (normal procedure for new bike), it rides smoothly, shifts well. Brakes are weak, as noted by others. I was very pleased with factory assembly: all bearings - front and rear hubs, headset, front and rear bottom brackets - were adequately lubed and properly tightened. Wheels were straight and tightened properly. No metal shards to cause flats at reported by others. No dings or other imperfections on frame - high quality welds and finish. Noisy chain tensioner was resolved by minimizing tension and adjusting alignment (easy). Chain noise is on par with tensioner on a long wheel base recumbent I owned - not bad. Drivetrain shifting adjustment was fairly close to being dialed-in out of the box. Was easy to get all gear combinations smooth shifting and noise free. Everything went together as expected, and with adjustment, works very very well.

I'm an experienced cyclist, but my wife is not. I know how to turn a wrench but am by no means an accomplished bike mechanic. Expect to need to adjust front and rear deraileur cable and limit screws, brake cable length, chain tensioner, routine fit/comfort adjustments (seat height, fore/aft, handlebars, etc). For the money, this is a perfect "toe in the water" for us to experience tandem cycling. I was looking for a 700c hybrid so we can ride road and rail-trails, and this will work. The Kenda 700x32 tires are substantial, but not beefy, and have a nice center line (for road) and low profile, smooth knobs on the edges(for hardpack). The 85 psi max is fine for road: smooth (buttery, actually)and can be lowered to 50-55 for smooth gravel hardpack. Overall, it looks like a road bike, but has one foot in the hybrid camp, which is perfect for us. Weight comes in at 42 lbs which is not bad. Has a very solid feel.

Pros: aluminum frame is upgrade-worthy as parts wear out, great overall build quality and parts pick for price point, hybrid tires (if hybrid riding anticipated), low-investment threshold into tandem riding, Shimano drivetrain

Cons: weak (but acceptable, with caution) brakes, bolt (not quick release) on rear axle (front has quick release), long cockpit for captain (5'7" rider needs shorter stem, seat fully forward), seats good quality, but not cushy enough for stoker, only 2 water bottle cages

Bottom line: I would definitely buy again. If your a purist, or need top-of-the-line, or want a 100% road or 100% mountain tandem, don't buy. If you are interested in trying tandem cycling and plan to ride road and rail-trails, want a lot of utility and quality for minimum investment with great potential for future upgrades, buy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Vaggio returns!, April 18, 2011
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
I purchased this bike, or I should say it's "father" in August '09 as the Lamborghini Vaggio. A internet search will pull up lots of info on the basic bike. This latest incarnation sports the Shimano 2300 shifter set, and Shimano FD and RD. I can't testify to the Shimano product at this level, but my Lambo came with Microshift shifters which have performed flawlessly.

This is an entry level department store quality bike. Real "bike aficionados" will tell you this is a piece of C%$@. In point of fact, it does not hold a candle to an entry level product from Trek or one of the other LBS brand bikes. It is, however, a viable choice for the right person who is informed of the pros and cons of the product.

I will give you the pros and cons of the Lamborghini. Some will apply as the frame is identical, some may apply as I don't know if they are the same.

PROS:
* The frame is stiff but comfortable, surprisingly so for an ALU frame. This is due to the long wheel base since it is a tandem. Also, the bike comes with 35 x 700 tires, which smooth out the ride.
* The 20 x 16 frame size is a pretty versatile. I have ridden and stoker (6ft) and I have had 10 or 12 yo stoker children ride in the back with the seat all the way down. The stock seat post is too short to raise for me, but a little shopping can find a good long one for $20 or so.
* The frame is light compared to a comparable steel frame, but the stock bike is 43 lbs. I don't know where the get the 25 lb shipping weight! I wish!
* Cant beat the price - $579

CONS:
* There is only one frame size.
* The sync chain uses an idler gear rather than eccentric bottom bracket found on "real tandems."
* All components are cheap, entry level. They work ok, even very well, but they will wear out under heavy use.
* The bike, like any on-line bike purchase, requires some assembly. If you are not familiar with adjusting brakes, derailers and truing wheels you MUST have this done by a qualified bike mechanic. The bike could be dangerous if not properly assembled and adjusted. Read on.
* The stock brake pads SUCK big time. Or at least the did on the Lambo. Add to it that the wheels will probably need to be trued and the brakes adjusted before the bike is ridden. The bike is likely DANGEROUS out of the box until these details are tended to. When I first assembled mine and took it for a very cautions spin, I almost could not stop the bike, and I was solo and on the flat and level. With 2 people on a hill, this thing could be deadly. I took the advice of several others and changed out the break pads to Kool Stop MTB pad. After truing the wheels and properly adjusting the brakes, I can stop on a dime on a hill.
* My stock rim tape was crappy. I was warned to remove the tires and tubes, clean any aluminum debris from the spoke holes and rims, and put on new high quality rim tape. I didn't and I blew a tube just inflating the tires the first time. YMMV, but assume that the rim tape needs to be changed.
* Bearings in the wheels, Bottom bracket, and stem/fork should be checked and repacked if needed.
* The bike only has braze-ons for 2 water bottles. In Fla anyway, you need at least 4. I added a 2 bottle seat post holder to the back of the captains seat post. Works great.
* For some reason the captain and the stoker have different seat post diameters. Weird. Perhaps that has changed.
* The hubs are not QR skewers. You need to carry a small wrench to change a tube.
* White looks nice, but it shows dirt and scuffs.

In spite of the long list of cons, this can be a good serviceable tandem option for some one who is looking to get into some light road tandem riding. I have about 2,000 miles on the bike and have had my wife and my grandson in the stoker seat. I enjoy riding the bike, even solo. I am very happy with my purchase, and while I dream about someday getting a "real" tandem, I still do not regret my purchase. I have lots of happy miles on the bike. It was a good choice for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Budget Tandem, April 27, 2013
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
Now that we've ridden a few hundred miles on it, I thought it was time to post a review of the Viaggio. There are several very informative reviews here on Amazon already. Hopefully this will add to those.

Not to beat dead horses, but there are a couple of issues that really should be addressed right away.

First, before putting any air in the tires, pull them off the rims, remove the flimsy little rim strips, and clean out the metal shavings. As others have commented, they will cause flats right away. I blew the shavings out with an air hose and replaced the rim strips with Ritchey Snap-On Bicycle Rim Tape - Pair. The wheels could also use a bit of truing and some bearing adjustment. I see no need to replace them immediately, as some others have suggested. As long as you follow these steps, they should work just fine, at least for the life of the bearings.

Next are the brakes. The ones that come on it are only suitable for a short ride or two, on relatively flat ground, at modest speeds. I certainly wouldn't ride it in traffic, where you might need to make a quick stop. We replaced ours with Tektro R539 Dual Pivot Front Brake Caliper - 47-57mm, Hex Nut, Silver and Tektro R539 Dual Pivot Rear Brake Caliper - 47-57mm, Hex Nut, Silver, which bolted right on. We also replaced the pads with Kool Stop Dura 2 Dual Compound Insert. With these modifications, the bike stops much better and feels safer.

Although the shifters and derailleurs that come on it are serviceable, we ended up replacing ours sooner than we expected. My single bike has Shimano Ultegra components, which made it somewhat difficult for me to get used to the little thumb button on the ST2300s. Also, I found the difference in responsiveness to be a bit frustrating. We ended up using Tiagra shifters, 105 front, and Deore LX rear derailleurs that I scrounged on eBay. These are nine speed shifters, which required the purchase of a new cassette and chain, as well. Combined cost, about $300, including installation at the local bike shop. The bike shifts like a dream now. I should point out that even though the specs for this bike on Amazon list a Shimano freewheel, ours actually has a standard cassette.

We also made some changes which we consider "personalization". These are changes that we may have made, even if we had bought a more expensive tandem. Saddles, seatposts, pedals, rack, bars, stem, and threadless adapter. The saddles are Velo Bio:Logic Bicycle Saddle and Velo Bio:Logic-F Bicycle Saddle. The seatposts are M-Wave Seat Post and M-Wave Alloy Bicycle Suspension Seat Post with Clamp. Longer for the Captain, suspension for the Stoker. The Stoker bars are bullhorn type from eBay. The Captains are Avenir 200 Series Flat Top Road Handlebars, which I really like. The nicest threadless adapter I could find was the BBB BHP-21 (Google it). It doesn't seem to be available in the US, but I ordered ours from Wiggle and it arrived in less than two weeks. We used a Dimension Threadless Stem: 120mm; 83/97 Degree; 31.8; Silver, but one nice thing about using a threadless adapter, is that you can get stems in different lengths and angles to suit you. We probably spent another $300 on these items.

So, for just over $1k, we have a tandem that rides as nice as ones costing twice as much. You can see the finished (for now) product here: http://ridewithgps-DOT-com/photos/198918/large.jpg

Down the road, we may upgrade the cranks and bottom brackets, but maybe not until something fails. One possible crank upgrade would be the Sugino XD600s, which can be pieced together for around $300. By piecing them together, we can get different length cranks arms front and rear, and choose from many different size chainrings. Stronglight would be another option. Their Z'Light cranks are available in sets with different crank arm lengths, and an assortment of chainring combinations, for about the same price as the Suginos. Their Impact crank sets are half the price, but only come in 170mm length, front and rear, and have more limited chainring combinations. Since I'm 6', and my stoker-wife is 5"3", it would be nice to have longer arms in front.

Even further down the road (sooner if something fails), we may eventually replace the wheels. Handspun has perfect replacements with Velocity Dyad rims on Shimano HF08 hubs (WE9738 and WE7259). It would be nice to get something a bit lighter, and with presta valves. Problem is, the pair would cost as much as the original price of the bike. Maybe we'll come across a better deal for something used on eBay. Until then, we're perfectly happy with the ones that came on it. Also, it might be a bit faster if we ran narrower tires, say 28mm, but it rides so smooth on the 32s.

Sorry for the lengthy review. I found the detail in some of the other reviews very useful, so hopefully others will find the detail in mine useful, as well.

As you've probably figured out, we're very happy with our purchase. You won't find a better deal on a road tandem. For the price, it has an awful lot going for it. Even if we make the future upgrades I've listed above, our total cost will still be under $2k, which is about as cheap as you will find a tandem at the local bike shop. And we will have been enjoying ours for several years by then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
I purchased this bike expecting to have to do some work on it and put some money into it. I've been riding for a while, and wanted to be able to ride with my wife, who can't keep up with me on her own bike. It does the job quite well, at a great price. We just got back from our first ride on it, and were pleased with how smooth the ride is.

The package arrived in typical Amazon style, showing up at the door before Amazon said it would even be shipping. It was packaged very well, and didn't get any damage.

On to the bike... If you don't have experience working on bikes, plan to take it to a bike shop for an overhaul, if not for assembly. I couldn't find any instructions for assembling the bike. Just a user's manual, and instructions that had come with some of the Shimano components. I've built a few bikes, though, so I probably wouldn't have used it anyway. The first thing I did was readjust and add grease to the headset and both wheel bearings. Out of the box, all of the bearings were stiff and way too tight. As others have mentioned, the rim tape was a little off, so should be adjusted to avoid punctures. The wheels were mostly true. The rear derailleur needed no adjustment, but the front needed a little help. Most of the components are obviously cheap, but the important parts are all low-end Shimano, so they work well. I was disappointed about their decision to use a threaded headset, since threadless aren't much more expensive. They also used relatively low-pressure tires -- only 85psi. Higher pressure tires would have been nice.

I immediately replaced a few components after taking the bike out for a quick ride:
-The idler pulley on the timing chain between the captain's and stoker's pedals is LOUD. I replaced it with a rollerblade wheel with a deep groove cut in it, and that completely eliminated the chain noise when pedaling.
-Most importantly, the brakes are not suitable for a tandem. They use no-name single-pivot caliper brakes, and the bike just doesn't have the stopping power necessary for two people, especially going down a hill. DO NOT purchase this bike unless you are willing to immediately spend $40-$100 on a new pair of dual-pivot caliper brakes. Besides safety, this also provides the convenience of a quick-release lever on the brakes to widen the pads for easy wheel removal.

Last, the frame geometry is a little off. My wife and I are both about 5'9". I captain, and the handlebars are just a touch too far away for my liking. Riding stoker (the back position), my wife's handlebars are too close to her, and she occasionally bumps her knees. We'll be getting her a shorter handlebar stem.

All considered, we are incredibly pleased with this purchase. For the price, it's a great bike, especially for couples of differing riding levels. With some care and upgrades, it makes for a fun, comfortable, and so-far-reliable tandem bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting platform. Can be made even better very easily., April 3, 2014
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
A few years ago I picked up a Kent Gran Cour (Another Kent cheap bicycle) tandem for me and my wife to ride. This year I finally got around to getting out on it with her and we loved tandem riding from day one. We liked it enough that I wanted to get a better performing tandem with an upgrade path as far as the components were concerned. As mentioned by others, this is the follow up to the Lamborghini and has pluses and minuses.

I received mine yesterday and here is the analysis of what I found and what needs to be done or will get done in the future. To be clear, I do all of my own bicycle repair. I have an extensive set of bicycle tools, many of which are required to disassemble this bicycle. I will note where I used them in my breakdown.

Wheels and tires.
- Wheels in general. - The wheelset is good enough to get by for a while. Eventually they will be replaced with much better wheels that cost more than the bike itself. I pulled the tires, tubes and rim tape and blew out any aluminum shavings in them. There were some marring marks from the truing machines but nothing of note. I threw away the original rim tape and replaced it with new. I put each on my truing stand and made adjustments as necessary. After a hundred miles, they will need to be tensioned again.
- Front hub - The hub was way too tight and felt gritty inside. NOTE! This is a loose bearing hub. I pulled the hub, cleaned the cones, bearings and shaft, greased everything, assembled and tightened everything. After everything was back together, the hub turned freely. ****Requires flat cone wrench****
- Rear sprocket - I have seen references to the rear wheel being a freewheel rather than a free hub with a cassette. My bike came with a free hub and a cassette which is a major plus as I can upgrade the cassette to a broad range 8 speed Shimano cassette.
[...] explains the difference between a freewheel and free hub.
- Rear hub - I pulled the cassette to see what I had. This is not necessary. ****Requires Shimano cassette tool and chain whip****. The hub was tight and gritty feeling just like the front hub. NOTE! This is a loose bearing hub. It was disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, reinstalled and tightened. Afterwards it felt very good. ****Requires flat cone wrench****
- Tires - The tires are Kenda brand and rated to go to 85 PSI max. They are 700cx32 with a schraeder tube and are decent quality. I am building this bike to be a road bike, so I picked up a pair of Continental Gator Hardshell Duraskin tires and a set of stop flats to go into them. They will be a bit heavy and very hard, but will resist flats and have good rolling friction.
The tires are these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XYNAWQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cranks and BBs. (BB is bottom bracket or bottom bearing)
I pulled all cranks. ***Crank pulling tool required***
Both BBs were difficult to turn and felt like they were grinding. In fact, I did find some metal slivers in there when I pulled them. I didn't have all of the tools to deal with the bearings but I managed to pull the left side tensioning cups and get the shafts and bearings removed. The bearings are held together by a metal ring and should not fall out. Be careful though not to lose any of them in case they are loose. Also pay attention to shafts when you pull them so that they are put back in the same way that they are taken out. In time, both BBs will get replaced with Shimano sealed BBs when these wear out and start grinding. The cost will be less than $80.00. After cleaning, lubricating and reinstalling, both BBs felt very good and turned quite freely.

Shifting components
- Brifters (brake and shifter) are Shimano Claris 3x8 brifters. Although not top of the line, these are very adequate and probably the best components on the bike besides the frame.
- Front derailleur - I didn't even check the model of the front derailleur as it is very low quality in my opinion. As soon as I measure the mounting tube, I'll be replacing it with a Claris triple derailleur.
- Rear derailleur - I didn't check the model or type of the rear derailleur. It is decent quality but I can't see it taking more than a season or two of heavy riding. When I upgrade the front derailleur, I'll also pick up a Claris long cage rear derailleur and replace both of them. This will cost less than $100.00.

Brakes.
I was surprised to find caliper brakes on the bike and they actually aren't too bad; however, they will be replaced with Shimano Claris calipers when I start upgrading other components as in the end they are cheap brakes. The brake shoes are a bit small and should be replaced with something more durable but you can get by with the originals for a bit. Brake pads and new calipers should come in around $80.00

Crankset and triple - As this is a tandem, that needs to be kept in mind when looking for new cranks. There are many options available. The right side triple of the stoker crank set isn't the best quality. It is acceptable for now, but I'm going to look at upgrade options. As an example, the Trutative on my road bike has well over 10,000 miles on it and is going strong. This one? I'm not so sure that it can take those number of miles.

I can live with the saddles and seat posts. I suspect that I'll have to look at the front stem to see what I can do about bringing the front handlebars back a bit. The pedals will also be pulled for Shimano SPD clips.

General adjusting - The brakes adjusted very easily and provide a firm grip. The rear derailleur was simple to adjust and get shifting. The front triple derailleur has been a pain to get positioned and adjusted. But it was late last night when I worked on it so it'll likely go better when I am fresh and rested.

The tensioner for the tandem chain is not the best quality. It operates freely but makes a lot of noise. I've yet to look at options for it but I'd expect that a better idler sprocket will make a big difference.

In closing. All in all the frame of the bike makes this purchase a worthwhile investment. If you don't have the tools, buy some and teach yourself about maintaining you own bike. When I add things up - original cost of the bike, $100.00 for new derailleurs, $80.00 for new brake components, $100.00 for new tires, $600.00 for a new wheelset, etc... I come up with a good bike at a fraction of the cost for a top of the line tandem.

For reference and part number look up, I will be using these Shimano Claris components.
[...]

**** EDIT TO ADD ****

Even though the crank bearings were smooth after cleaning and greasing, after 100 miles or so the tandem really seemed to slog along. After pulling the cranks to check the smoothness of the bearing assemblies, they had gotten extremely rough. I replaced both set with Shimano BB-UN26 (68x122.5-mm) sealed bearing cartridges from Amazon. They made a world of difference. The wheelsets are still very smooth rolling.

**** EDIT TO ADD #2 ****
My road bike has 175mm cranks on it and I am very comfortable with them. Tis tandem comes with 170mm cranks which is good as I can spin on them a bit easier. My wife has much shorter legs though and the 170mm cranks cause her to have too much bending of the knees. Using the ratio of my inseam as compared to crank length (31.5"/170mm) and comparing it to her inseam of 27.5" she needs to have 150mm cranks. We purchased a custom set of cranks, 170mm on the front and 150mm on the rear from DaVinci tandems. They cost more than the tandem. The timing sprockets are smaller so I had to shorten the chain which gave a bit more slack so that I could re-replace the idler wheel with a larger one off of a mountain bike. It is much smoother flowing now.
The triple on the new crankset sits out a tad further from the frame than the original one did, so the front derailleur will not get the chain on the largest sprocket. I also upped each sprocket on the triple by 2 teeth on the small and medium sprockets and went up to 53 on the large one. So after measuring things I opted to replace the 122.5mm BB cartridge with a 110mm one. If it is too narrow, then I'll go with 113.
Next will be a new wheelset. In a year, I'll probably upgrade everything to a 10 speed with new derailleurs and shifters, but that can wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars rocketship for two, May 5, 2012
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
My friend purchased this bike, and I assembled it for him. He purchased spd pedals and new dual pivot brakes for the install. Dual pivot brakes are a must as the stock brakes would be dangerous if someone actually needed to stop! Also, the frame is not set-up for disk or v-brake installation, so some dual pivot brakes are the way to go! The stock shifters, Shimano Sora, shift well and after just a little adjustment I got rid of the derailluer rub on the chainwheel. The stock seats are very firm, but would work on short rides, 10-15 miles or less. The stoker will need a suspension seatpost upgrade as the frame is very stiff. In fact the frame alone is worth the purchase price of the complete bike! If you are even thinking about trying out a tandem, this is a hard bargin to beat! My wife and I have been riding tandems for over 10 years, this bike flew underneath our feet! Fast, fast, fast, a very stiff frame that will be worth upgrading as the stock components fail. This is a great bike! Expect to upgrade it as your skills and "want-to" grow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Viaggio Tandem, September 7, 2011
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
This is a good value in a road tandem. It arrived without assembly instructions and I lost some time attempting to use the larger of the two seat posts in the forward seat tube. Don't make that mistake, the larger seat tube goes in the aft location, the handlebar adapter clamps quite nicely to the smaller seat post. I budgeted several hundred dollars for upgrades to make this bike a fun and useful cross country tandem and it wasn't necessary. I upgraded the tires and brake pads and have been satisfied with the results. I expected to upgrade the wheels but have discovered that, although heavy, the wheels are aerodynamic and would be fairly expensive to improve. Handlebars are steel and could easily be improved, the cranks and chainwheels are heavy and could be improved at considerable expense.
With road tires the bike is pretty fast. I rode it ten miles at 19 mph by myself. In other words the bike is as fast as my half-bike on flat terrain. Yes, it's heavy and has cheap components, but you would have to spend a lot more money for a better road tandem.
I would recommend this bike for someone wanting an inexpensive road tandem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review for Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl), April 26, 2013
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
I went ahead and ordered the Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike after reading all the reviews here on Amazon. It arrived on Thursday evening and I spent several hours to inspect, assemble, and make adjustments. My plan was to have my sweet-hot-stoker wife join me for a group ride on Sunday.

Comments from other reviewers are well taken and these are what I did with my G. Viaggio tandem:

Wheels: They are slightly out of true, but not that bad. I removed tires from their rim, clean all metal shards. The rim tape is so narrow and off center so I use black electrical tape to go over it and around several turns. The hub bearings were over tighten so I loosen them up to get the wheel turn smoothly.

Brakes: These no-name single pivot brakes are difficult to adjust for center with wobbled wheels. I replaced them with Ultegra 6700 brake set. I did a little drill job to the frame in order to mount these brakes on.

Chain and Shifters: I adjusted the pulley for idle sync chain to reduce the tension and noise. The front and rear derailleur only need minor adjustment for smooth gear shifting.

Frame Geometry: I am 5'2" and my wife is 4'9". The captain's portion is off but the stoker is okay. The threaded quill stem is long for me so I replaced with shorter stem with quill thread less stem adapter.

I am a weekend warrior and my wife has very little experience with bicycle. I took my stoker wife on our first group ride together on 40+ miles route and boy she was pretty happy. My next upgrade is to get a suspension seat post and a better saddle for the stoker so she can join me on longer rides perhaps century charity rides in the next several months.

Overall, I am very happy with the purchase of this G. Viaggio Tandem road bike. It's a good price for beginner tandem riders like us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Road Tandem for my birthday, July 11, 2012
This review is from: Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl) (Sports)
Okay so i decided to reward myself a new bike as my birthday present on which will also benefit my wife. We both ride road bikes together but at times, I just couldn't tolerate the pain in my neck from constanly looking back at her..! so I decided to go okay long story short. Yes! solution. let me put her on a tandem!
Received this new 'giordano vagina! I mean viaggio tandem' on april this year. I opened the box and immediately saw the white 7005 frame wrapped up properly. check what's included and immediately saw whick is called the 'bicycle kickstand!' I knew this would be a bike with a bicycle kickstand..If you know what i mean! I'm a not so bad of a bike mechanic myself. I do my own bike tune ups from brake adjustments to rear/front derailleurs adjustments. Put the bike all together within an hour or so Adjustments and everything. Let me starts with the low budget parts and parts that will not work for me. Front/rear derailleur 'Shimano tourney, very complicated to adjust. Rear wheel is 'bolt on' Not a skewer. The wheels are heavy and I can't believed it's a schrader! Tires are 700ccx32 kenda. Front is a skewer. Captain seatpost is 25.4 (shim/spacer) a 27.2 seatpost fits without the shim/spacer..so that's kinda weird. Stocker post is 27.2. Handlebars are both 44cm alloy front, steel on the stocker. Both are 25.4 stem. Stem is about 110mm; too long! I'm about 5'7 and Quill setup. Quills are for classic road bikes. Cranksets cap/stocke 170mm BB is taper! :/ This tandem is for sure loaded with cheap ugly stuff! Its components are very low budget but before buying this I saw a full potential for upgrades. All that I'm after here is the 7005 frame and the price you cannot beat for a tandem alloy!! Pls don't judge me on this but i consider myself a bike addict tinker weight winnie freak! and Stock oem setup I really can't deal with. We all upgrades our bikes at some point and I'm one of them! I didn't even ride the bike because I know the geometry isn't gonna help me and my stocker. Here are the upgrades Ive done since april of 2012. We are 272 lbs team. Bike is 42 lbs stock! not bad
-New Velocity Dyad touring 40H wheelsets (this tandem is 135mm rear spacing) won it on ebay $127
-Continental Gator 700x28 (fast tires and solid)
-New suspension alloy seatpost for the hottie stocker's ass
-Converted quill to threadless stem. New stem is 80mm 31.8 specialized alloy pro ergo handlebar
-New shimano 105 FD-5504 triple front derailleur. shimano mtb deore rear delr. 8 speed compatible
-New kool stop dual v-brake pads compatible for road bike rim brakes (this tandem is a road bike rim brake setup)
-New kmc sl9 gold chains. 215gr
-Captain has selle smp evo. Stocker has terry butterfly
-shimano M545 pedals front/back
-Sram 8 pg-850 250gr 11-30

-total bike weight 36 lbs!--

Future upgrades.
-new steel threadless fork
-new crankset setup (still triple)
-powder coat clear frame!

Giordano Viaggio Tandem Road Bike (White Pearl)
$599.99 $498.78