Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

on October 11, 2010
Having written on Giorgio Agamben myself (in 1999 and again in 2005) and having wanted myself to produce a comprehensive study of Agamben's work as a whole (and not merely his recent and controversial Homo Sacer project) I was delighted to discover this book by the young Harvard scholar. Upon reading the book I at once contacted Professor Durantaye to congratulate him on what I feel is a real achievement. Like me, he sees a profound coherence to Agamben's work as a whole despite the philosopher's extraordinary and intimidating range of interests, readings and scholarly investigations which border on the esoteric. Any future serious discussion of Agamben's work will have to pass through this essential volume.

The volume is less a critical introduction to than a critical magnification of Agamben's work. Whatever the reader thinks of Agamben's daring philosophical, aesthetic, or political conclusions, Durantaye thoroughly elaborates the reasoning, resources, allusions, paradoxes and intellectual proximities with unparalleled clarity and fairness. This is not a polemical text but an unintimidated tracking of the philosopher's investigations wherever they may have led. In addition, numerous corrections of previous publication information concerning Agamben's works are cited. Anyone who wishes to understand Agamben's work in whole or in part must have this volume at hand.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse