Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: A Girl Called Barney: Loving an autistic child is so easy... and so hard
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 31, 2012
This wonderfully written book will stay with me for a very long time. One of the most real, heart wrenching stories about the sweetest love for a child who needed this love so much that I have ever read. Her daddy (uncle) was relentless in making sure his girl was happy and as content as possible and they learned so much from each other. The author was masterful in putting humor into the situation when there was sometimes so much pain. My heart ached at times for Richard and for Barney and was so glad they had each other. If Barney could speak to tell her daddy how much she loved him, she would shout it to the world. This is a must read for all who care about a child, and or autism. I have a son who has down syndrome and autism and this book has been such an inspiration for me. I look forward to reading the authors next book about his son David.
on December 14, 2012
Excellent Book! This week I read Christopher Stevens books: A Girl Called Barney and A Real Boy. I really enjoyed reading these books. They have been very inspirational to me. My 6-year-old son is autistic. My son started talking at 3.6 years old. Now he talks all the time.:) He is a very bright boy and he is growing into an avid reader. He loves going to the library and he loves reading books. He even enjoys reading books on his Nook Tablet. I buy him plenty of books to read on his Nook Tablet. Now he enjoys reading books to me.
on September 15, 2012
As the parent of a little girl with Autism, I can say that this story is pretty much an accurate representation of daily life. What a brave and loyal man Richard Coleman is, at times I could very much share his heartbreak and frustration. His ability to remain patient during his trails and tribulations is admirable. It really is the same as very other situation in life, you have to take the good with the bad and hang onto those moments of pure joy. What a special gift our beautiful babies are!!!
on October 25, 2012
Loved this book - about what it really means to be a dad and that being their for the conception doesn't make you a dad. Its about an uncle who takes on raising his sisters child and the process of doing that and finding out she is autistic. It is a love story as well on how much one can love a child as his own and actually falling in love with a woman on the way.
on February 4, 2013
This helped me understand the trials my granddaughter is going through with her daughter who has just been diagnosed with autism. While Barney is a much more extreme case than our Naomi, it is clear that she must be handled with love and kindness, (as all children must) and explains some of the things she does. She has not been "naughty" those times when she couldn't communicate and join in with other children. A very good book.
on January 27, 2013
Initially, I thought I was reading non-fiction from the description. It is a novel, though it is based on the author's experiences with his autistic son. It rang true. It was very well written. I enjoyed it.
on November 1, 2012
Every little girl needs an uncle like Barney has. He never gives up on her and she is a handful!

I was impressed with the interesting ways he found to deal with her. It is a delightful story!
on December 18, 2012
I enjoyed seeing the love that Richard had for Barney! It was sad to see someone give up on their own child, but wonderful to see someone care for and love a child that was not their own no matter how hard it could get!
on August 4, 2013
This book is an amazing story of what love and understanding for an autistic child is all about. Every parent should read this book to be able to teach their children how to understand and have compassion for those who's minds see things different from the normal.
Chris Stevens you are my hero!!! Hope you write more about Barney as she grows into adult hood.

Judy from Chicago
on December 4, 2012
I loved how the parent truely loved and cared for his autistic child. So much love and caring in all that was done for the child. Truly showed how easy it really is to raise a child like this and show so much how much love that the child can in return give back! Michele W.