Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Girl of Fire and Thorns
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 27, 2016
This whole series is excellent. This book has a heroine who has strength, humor, and is developed in such an interesting empowering way. A must read.
on July 26, 2016
This is the first book in the series. Elisa is a princess on the cusp of her 16th birthday. Her sister has been raised to rule the kingdom, while Elisa holds the Godstone, a divine gift at birth. It marks her as the chosen of the generation, although no one knows what her task may be. She is to be married in a political alliance. Her prince, while kind, shows little attraction to a heavyset, shy, awkward girl. As she journeys to her new home, her sister warns her to only place full trust in her companions. An ambush along the way, reveals that her companions have more skills than she ever would have expected and she surprises herself with her own fortitude. Elissa must deal with prejudice and is shocked by what is hidden about her relationship with the prince. The story takes a dramatic turn with a kidnapping, and Elisa begins her transformation and her journey to understand her purpose, using her mind and her knowledge of strategy to her advantage while she seeks out information about the Godstones and their bearers. This first installment has a lot of world building to do and the plot and characterization can suffer from time to time. The concept is interesting, so I will see where the story goes in the next book.
on July 25, 2016
An intriguing story but I am not sure how I feel about it.
on July 25, 2016
I loved the idea behind this book, but I also think it's fair to know the genre and style beforehand. Although it is fantasy, it has a strong Spanish style throughout. I do wish I'd have known that ahead of time, because I was personally not in the mood. I saw the William C. Morris award on the cover and read the first few reviews several times before buying the (recommended for me) Kindle version.

With that said though, it's a clever concept, style wise, with only a couple grammatical mistakes. Those could've been because I read the Kindle version. They're still aggravating though. It's definitely for a younger audience and Fantasy Fiction. Therefore, it cannot truly be compared to other Spanish style prose. Was it as good as Julia Alvarez's, In the Time of the Butterflies? No. Was it good for a younger fantasy audience? Maybe, if you're in the mood. I just wish someone would've said something pertaining to the style in any of their reviews.
on July 19, 2016
This book was really good. The story was captiviating, the characters were inthralling, I love the character growth that happens in this story! However, I found the god-stone thing a little wierd, especially in the end. But if you can ignore all that, then this book is great :D!
on July 17, 2016
I wanted to like this book. I was looking for something similar to Sarah J Maas and one blogger recommended. However, the blogger did not make it did not sound very good at all but the ratings were high and on very well written rating on Amazon was enough to convince me otherwise.

I am a spiritual person, not a religious one so when I read the synopsis I felt I could tolerate the level of faith throughout the book. I found it over ridden with it, to the point of skipping paragraphs and pages. I feel with a careful editing, it would not be missed and the story would have flowed better and the pacing would pick up just enough to keep interest. Also, the faith aspect could still be present without being overwhelming to non Christian readers.

Also, a map would have been great just to reference what the layout of this fantasy world looked like. It was hard to keep up with where she was at any given time or truly understand the sense of time passing.

I was curious to know how the proceeding books ended, but not enough to actually wade through the writing. A quick spoiler search on gave me just enough to satisfy my curiousity without wasting my time.
on July 11, 2016
I'll start by saying that by the end of this book, I loved it! The beginning seemed like a different story, but it followed the main character's growth very well-starting with less depth and increasing with her depth, strength and courage. I love that the main character was not skinny/curvy/hot. At the beginning, I thought it might be just the main character didn't realize how she looked (self unaware girl actually hot, which has been played out a lot) but this was so much better! I wish she hadn't lost the weight but loved herself anyway, but I guess a long trek through the desert with limited food would have to trim you down. Anyway, she was everything you'd want- courageous, a great leader, smart! A great role model. The story moves quickly and keeps you caught up in it. I'm very curious to see where these characters go and how they continue to grow and evolve!
on July 5, 2016
The Girl of Fire and Thorns is a beautiful story. I love Rae Carson and the world she has created. It is nice to have a main character that does some serious developing and isn't shallow and boring. I read this book in 2 days and am anxious to move on to the next one
on July 1, 2016
I can NOT put this book down. The writing is so fluid, the storytelling is wonderful. The characters are so well developed and the world so vivid, I can't stop reading it and I am only sorry there are only three books, I will be sad when I finish!
on June 24, 2016
I enjoyed this entire series immensely, after I got into it. The beginning of this first book was pretty slow. Give it a chance. The world building is lovely and such a change from the usual kingdom settings I've read. Strong female protagonists who aren't afraid to lean on someone else, either. So many times you get weak, irritating female leads or strong female leads who refuse counsel from anyone else. I stayed up entirely too late for 4 days reading all 3 books.