Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD Kids Edition Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

A Girl Like Me
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$9.01+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 23, 2004
You can't fault Emma. She's ace! She was always my favourite Spice Girl, and I followed her solo career when it started. She can sing, and her songs are upbeat guitar pop. Very ace. This is definitely the best solo Spice album yet.

Track rundown:

1. What Took You So Long (5/5)

I'll always love this song. Emma's first solo No.1, this is so catchy and upbeat, with a guitar backing it. Most people know this song, so I don't need to say much apart from the fact it's ace!

2. Take My Breath Away (3.5/5)

For some reason I never liked this song that much. I have no idea why Emma decided to release this song as her second single as it's not the strongest song on the album. But it's good. The chorus is really catchy, but she repeats the words 'Take my breath away' too many times.

3. A World Without You (5/5)

An amazing ballad. This is really ace! One of the only ballads on the album, this really hits the spot. Emma shows off her voice, and the lyrics are amazing. One of the best tracks on the album, she should have released this instead of 'Take My Breath Away'.

4. High On Love (3/5)

Like in 'Take My Breath Away' - the words of the title are repeated WAY too many times for one song. The song is upbeat, with a guitar backing it and it's catchy but kind of bland.

5. A Girl Like Me (5/5)

I love this! It's so feisty - a woman at the beginning (I don't know if it's Emma it doesn't sound like her) says 'Can't f**k with a girl like me'. It's a wicked RnBish styley song, with a great catchy chorus. One of the best songs on the album. Emma socks it to the guys on this track!

6. Spell It Out (5/5)

This song has something irresistible about it that I can't put my finger on. The beginning of the song is great, with Emma singing, with a solo instrument in the background. It's strong, with Emma saying 'Do I have to spell it O.U.T, will you get the message finally?'. Very good!

7. Sunshine On A Rainy Day (4/5)

The first time I heard this song I didn't like it, I thought it was boring. Now I'm listening to it again, and I quite like it now. The music at the beginning is great, and the way Emma sings is great. Good song!

8. Been There Done That (4/5)

I like this song. It's quite catchy with a great beat, and a RnBish feel to it. Emma's vocals are kind of drowned out by the music, but that's ok because it's catchy.

9. Better Be Careful (3/5)

This song is really bland to me. It's upbeat with a great beat but for some reason it doesn't appeal to me. It's kind of boring.

10. Were Not Gonna Sleep Tonight (5/5)

This is ace! I have no idea why it only got to No.20! God only knows why it flopped, it's actually one of the better tracks on the album. Emma sings through a vo-corder on the verses and it's a great effect. It's very Spanish sounding, with a great catchy chorus.

11. She Was A Friend Of Mine (5+++/5)

This is my favourite on the album! It's the most RnBish song on the album with a kind of Spanish feel, but it's still pop at the same time. I don't know why so many people hate it, I LOVE IT. It's so catchy with great lyrics about a girl who Emma thought was her friend - but the friend betrayed her and seduced Emma's boyfriend. The chorus is really catchy, and Emma sings really fast. IT'S ACE!

12. What I Am (4/5)

I love this song, but I don't like the ending of it with the guitars. I love it up till then. This song went up against Geri in 1999 for the No.1, and in my opinion it should have gotten the No.1 instead of Geri. I love the lyrics.

Top 5 songs:

01. She Was A Friend Of Mine

02. Spell It O.U.T

03. What Took You So Long?

04. We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight

05. A World Without You

A very good solo offering, the best out of the Spice Girls. I am looking for Emma's second solo album, and I'm sure it will be as good as this! Excellent album, Emma!
on May 22, 2002
As I thought that Emma's solo album would be another typical pop album, I was wrong. She makes every song stand out on the album. Each song has its own special unique meaning.
"What took you so long" - A stand out hit. The acoustic guitar mixes perfectly with the song. It went #1 in the UK.
"Take my breath away" - A great song and 2nd single. The song and video do "take my breath away". The video is an ocean view of Emma and a horse. The song goes perfect with the video.
"A world without you" - Great lyrics. "Everything that I touch turns to blue when I'm living in a world without you" She really gets you in the heart.
"High on love" - Another great acoustic song written for Pauline Bunton (Emma's Mom). She really takes you away with her lyrics to "High on love" and I could just picture Emma by a fireplace singing this.
"A girl like me" - A disco-ish song. I like ... part in the chorus. Good theme for the album. "What you get is what you see This is how its gotta be Can't ... with a girl like me..."
"Spell it O.U.T." - A good song yet it needs some drums. The theme about the song is a guy doesn't wanna break up with her and he won't stop bugging her and won't get the thought of his head that she doesn't like him.
"Sunshine on a rainy day" - Not one of my favorites but a good song. Reminds me of Mandy Moore's "Yo Yo" on her debut album "MandyMoore".
"Been there, done that" - My favorite song! I love the chorus it sounds amazing. Yeah, it is your typical pop song but I think Emma did a great job on this new song.
"Better be careful" - A nice guitar rock song. Not one of my favorites though. She does have good, yet strong lyrics.
"We're not gonna sleep tonight" - This one has the latin flavor to it. It's a good song for parties. It makes me think of as a really fast remix of Ricky Martin and Christina Aguilera's "Nobody wants to be lonely".
"She was a friend of mine" - Has a bit of R-B flavor. I love the lyrics in this. "Every day shes in my face but every night she's trying to take my place". Great Vocals! Good Track.
"What I am" - A remake of Eddie Brickels. It is amazing. Emma doesn't sing it as good as the original version though.
If you like Britney and Geri Halliwell and all them other freaky pop singers YOU NEED TO BUY THIS. You will not be doubted!
Me:)
on December 4, 2001
Emma Bunton was always my favorite member of The Spice Girls. I adored her voice which, while not the strongest, is very sweet and pleasant. So, I really looked forward to getting her solo album and I was not disappointed at all. Out of all of the other Spice solo albums, Emma's has to be the best with catchy, cute songs (most of which she co-wrote) and great melodies. With songs like "A Girl Like Me", "Better Be Careful", and "We're Not Going to Sleep Tonight", she definitely has a winner. It's just a shame that most U.S. fans are deprived of what I have to consider some of Emma's best work. It easily eclipses a lot of what is currently seen as popular. I highly recommend this album to all who love good pop.
on April 19, 2001
Out of all the Solo Albums from the Spice Girls, by far, this one is THE BEST! She might as well depart and go solo from here ... Personally, I think Emma's voice sounds better than Melanie Brown(Scary) - however, Emma and Mel B have the better voices of the four remaining members.
As for overall sounds quality - Emma's album is the best. The first four songs and the last song (remake)...just Fantastic! If/When this album gets released in the USA, Songs 2 and 3 will make it on the Top 40 without a problem.
=AoA=DM
on February 9, 2004
An awesome album, a Pop album at its best. The songs are well written and properly organized, not to mention catchy. Ive always though Emma was the most talented of the Spice Girl. Her voice is just unforgettable and infectious, if you listen to Spice GIrls music, you can hear that she was the main chorus voice of the group, and with this album, she was able to show her talent not just as a singer, but a songwriter, and solidified herself in the music industry. Cant wait for her next album.
on April 17, 2001
Emma, the second to the last Spice Girl to relese her solo album. And what a GREAT job she did! The songs are catchy, fun, and very very well written (especially since there from experiences...)This is probably the best album so far ANY of solo albums the Spice Girls have relesed. I really recommend buying it.
on January 19, 2004
This CD was great, I love every song on it. I didn't think I would from the start of the first track, What Took You So Long?, but this CD with her wonderful vocal talents prooved me wrong. I can't wait for the next one. I wish I would have gotten this CD sooner.
on September 30, 2003
I give the album 5 stars because it is one of VERY FEW albums, that i can listen to from track 1 to end.
1) what took you so long
WONDERFUL this is a great song. Em's sorta gotta a country vibe goin on on this cd that i love. Very catchy
2)Take my breath away
This is a great song. I love it
3) World with out you
Although the lyrics are a little bit tacky, the song is still great. Very sad
4) HIGH on love
Great song written about Em's mum. I like the lyrics and the way the song is laid out.
5) A girl like me
The title track, im still not too sure why Em didnt release this as a single...???? its a great catchy fun song
6)Spell it O.U.T.
This isnt one of my favorites, but its still a good song about spelling out the lines of love.
7) Sunshine on a rainy day
YESSSSSS!!!! i love this song! Apparently, this is a remake. But i love it, very catchy and soothing. Calming
8) Been there done that
I like this song alot also. I love the chorus and the instrumental.
9) Better be careful
Alright song
10) were not gonna sleep tonight
The album version is much different from the single version. although both are great. When ever theres a girl's night out, i blast this song
11)She was a friend of mine
UH-OH! some one took Emmy's man!
12) What i am
Great remake of a classic song. Listen to it all the time
Over all, I think Emma just picked the wrong singles to release.
the first single shouldve been "a girl like me" followed up by"take my breath away", "sunshine on a rainy day" "high on love" and if succesful, then "been there done that"
I love the album!
BUY IT NOW!!
on April 22, 2001
Emma is the BEST!!!!!Her debut solo album (A Girl Like Me) is FANTASTIC!!!!I heared every song on the album and I would give a 10/10 or 9/10 to the songs on the cd!!Emma's songs are sweet,catchy,beautiful and nothing but the truth.
on March 21, 2002
Mel C did it Mel B did it and now Emma seems to be the third spice to go solo.If we compare this album with other Spices' solo albums(inc. Victoria's),i have to say this is the closest music to the Spice Girls and it has more spice taste than others.''Girl Like Me'' is not a one type music album.It has pop tracks ,killer r'n'b tracks and slow soul tracks.What can you more expect?
What Took You So Long and Take My Breath Away are cool tracks for the begining but you have to watch out the irresistable track ''A World Without You'' which is a definite hit with great lyrics and superb vocals by Emma.''Been There Done That''is a closer track to what Spice Girls did in Forever.Killer beats and cool lyrics.''Better Be Careful''is another highlight of the album with funny country atmosphere that you can probably turn out with ''Who is singin that?Shania?''.Album title track ''A Girl Like Me''is a suprisingly good track with censored lyrics :).''High On Love'' and ''What I Am'' are pretty cool tracks but didn't make an impact on me like the previous ones.''She Was A Friend Of Mine'' is another r'n'b flavoured track with killing vocals by Emma.The weakest track(the only weak one)of the album is ''Sunshine On A Rainy Day'' which doesn't fit with the other tracks.As a whole ''Girl Like Me'' is a cool album which has many music styles in it.You wanna listen pop?You can't resist to r'n'b? Are you more into slow tracks? Even you enjoy country? So get this album and give a chance to the cutest spice so far...