4.0 out of 5 stars Understated
I agree with a lot of reviewers that this album requires a couple of listens. When it was announced FOREVER ago that her 4th album would drop I was super excited. Life For Rent and No Angel are among my top favorite albums, but I just couldn't fall in love with Safe Trip Home. It was slower and somber and it didn't seem like 'my' Dido. When I first listened to this album...
Published 15 months ago by Raychel G. Terschluse

3.0 out of 5 stars Dido is *almost* back
Dido's original strength as an artist came from the rich, intense atmosphere of her music coupled with the pain and self-reflection in her lyrics. As someone who loved Dido's first two albums and was disappointed with her third, I was excited to learn that Dido was finally releasing a fourth album, and I had high hopes that the generally poor reception that Safe Trip Home...
Published 15 months ago by K. Carey

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Dido, the girl who got away, May 13, 2013
I love all the songs except for the rap songs on the album. The first song, No Freedom is amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely album of songs, May 2, 2013
This review is from: Girl Who Got Away (MP3 Music)
Dido's "No Angel" is one of my all time favorite CDs. Her musical style has changed a little bit since then but her voice remains extraordinarily beautiful. I enjoyed "Girl Who Got Away" and will definitely purchase more by this artist in the future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Growing on me, April 5, 2013
I love Dido. If you're used to the music from her other albums, this one is a bit different. I'm not a big rap fan, but there are enough songs on the album that I enjoy to make up for the rap. If I had known there were songs with rap, I may have just purchased the individual mp3s, but I'm sure the album will continue to grow on me, and my son (who enjoys rap) will probably love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has Some Solid Moments, Could Use More Pizzazz; 3 ˝ Stars, March 30, 2013
British pop singer Dido returns after a five-year hiatus with her fourth studio album, Girl Who Got Away, released via RCA. Girl Who Got Away follows up 2008s underperforming Safe Trip Home, which was deemed favorable by many critics. Girl Who Got Away is a solid album for the most part, though not one that will likely one that will revitalize her previous commercial success or buy her new legions of fans. "Let Us Move On" smartly brings in burgeoning rap darling Kendrick Lamar, but the chances of large exposure of the track seems unlikely.

"No Freedom" seems concerned with the ambience, with Dido's vocals laden with reverb. She sounds incredibly relaxed, which complements the folk-pop quality within the cut. "No Freedom" is by no means an intense cut in itself, but the vocal arrangement and addition of instruments on the chorus add more body and intensity to the cut itself. "Girl Who Got Away" follows consistently, opening with cool, pulsating synths. Dido's vocals are smooth (particularly her upper register), lacking the echoing reverb of the opener. Simply on the chorus, Dido sings "If only for today / I wanna be / the girl who got away / the lover who really loved / the dancer who danced / to the last song..." The main rub with the title cut? Perhaps Dido comes off too relaxed and slightly lacking in personality.

"Let Us Move On" finds Dido continuing in her casual, mysterious vocal approach, complemented by production to match the sentiment (Jeff Bhasker is onboard here). Like the previous two cuts, this one is pleasant and Dido keeps things simple, particularly vocally on the chorus ("Let us move on...for this is short / and it will pass"). Kendrick Lamar drops a verse that matches the sentiment of both Dido and the cut itself. It isn't the year's greatest triumph per say - it feels like it is missing something - but it is an enjoyable cut if not necessarily exceptional.

On "Blackbird", Dido continues to indulge into her refined vocals, if perhaps a bit much. Listeners do get a clever lyric, intact with a staccato vocal execution: "He put the coffee in the cup and with milk he filled it up / he added sugar and I never knew he liked it like that..." The production has some nice cues, though remains subdued. Songwriter/producer Greg Kurstin assists on "End of The Night", which takes a cool electro-pop approach, intact with driving synth and programming. Dido's best moment is during the bridge in which she exploits her upper register ("After the fall comes loves / I hat to hate and love to love"). The results? Pretty good.

"Sitting On The Roof Of The World" is one of Girl Who Got Away's strongest showings. Dido sounds beautiful, commanding, and never over-sings and the production matches her reservedness. Backing vocals accentuate the lead during the second and successive iterations of the chorus. The chorus itself is simple, but there is a beautiful innocence in its penning: "There I was / sitting on the roof of the world / there I was, there I was / Not knowing how I go there or how to leave..." "Love To Blame" contrasts the simplicity of "Sitting On The Roof" with an interesting groove with a reggae undertone coupled with a pop/electro beat. Dido's upper register continues to shine, particularly given her breathy vocal approach. Lyrically, she hits a high mark with lyrics "She said I've dotted my I's and I've crossed my T's / had time for friends when they needed me..."
"Go Dreaming" makes one nod their head, given the percussive, driving beat with Europop flavor. On "Happy New Year", Dido agains floats too casually, a detraction throughout Girl Who Got Away. "Loveless Hearts" is more commanding than the latter, with Dido's vocals always commanding without necessarily being 'fiery' or forced. Closing cut "Day Before We Went To War" is appropriately placed, but isn't quite as enjoyable as the beginning trio or the easygoing juggernaut "Sitting On The Roof Of The World".

Does Dido miss the mark? Nope, she sounds solid and for the most part Girl Who Got Away has more solid moments than ill advised ones. The main problem for Dido is that sometimes the productions are too cool and the vibe too restrained and unflustered. Usually, being 'flustered' might be a detraction, but a shakeup wouldn't kill Dido. Not known as a vocalist for histrionics (nor is that expected of her), Girl Who Got Away could have been even better and made a bigger splash with some more risks. But examining this set for what it is, it is solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dido's Best Yet, November 27, 2013
Wayne "comprev" (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I loved the first three albums so much that I didn't think it was possible, but I think that this one is her best yet. I'm glad I picked up the Deluxe edition, as usual, I found songs on it that I like as much as on the standard album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly delightful, June 9, 2013
CCG (Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
Most of the songs on this disc are lovely. Very melodic, not too loud, nothing to harsh my mellow. That's what I enjoy about Dido's music. So I'm driving along enjoying it in my car, when I am suddenly jolted out of my state of relaxation with a rap break in the middle of "Let us Move On". This is not performed by Dido, but by Kendrick Lamar, a hip hop artist. Talk about an unexpected turn. It makes no musical sense in my opinion. I find it so jarring and out of place that I immediately switch to the next song every time I get to that section. I may even burn a copy of this cd and omit that track. Too bad, cause I actually liked the rest of the song. What was she thinking????

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful..., April 30, 2013
Long overdo...amazing voice...each track enjoyable...
Purchase this CD and you won't be disappointed!!!
Would love to see Dido in person....

4.0 out of 5 stars Dido is back, April 26, 2013
I was so happy when I learned Dido had a new album coming I pre ordered. She does not let you down. Love it all but I could do without the rapping parts the lyrics are good but maybe a feature artist could sing instead of rap

5.0 out of 5 stars Dido Girl Who Got Away Album Review, April 4, 2013
This is one of Dido's best albums I believe. Her voice & lyrics are great. If you don't like this album then you are not a fan of Dido.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Senior Release From Dido, April 3, 2013
I pre-ordered this CD months back and received it the day after its official release. All I can say is that I am so impressed with you, Dido Armstrong! I have listened to this CD everyday and just can't seem to get enough of it. I love all 4 of Dido's CD's and "Girl Who Got Away" has the classic Dido touch with more confidence than her previous releases, which I thought could never be beat. There are two songs that feature a rap verse and while I don't care for rap alone, it works here very well the way it has been incorporated into the songs. There are absolutely no fillers on this album and Dido is a too good of a song writer to do that anyway. The more I listen to this album, the more I like it and if I had to choose the top 8 songs they would be: No Freedom, Girl Who Got Away, Blackbird, End Of Night, Sitting On The Roof Of The World, Day Before We Went To War, Love To Blame and Everything To Lose. This album is a combination of Pop, Folk, R&B and Ambiant and every song flows together smoothly. Buy this today!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Girl Who Got Away
Girl Who Got Away by Dido (Audio CD - 2013)
Rate and Discover Movies