Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on August 13, 2012
I have nothing but praise for Ms. McKellar's series of math books. The latest volume tackles Geometry with the same style as her previous 3 books covered Basic Math, Pre-Algebra and Algebra; providing clear explanations of key concepts and examples of how these concepts can be applied to solve numerical problems in the day-to-day lives of her target audience (young women of middle school to high school age).
She is successful at making math understandable ... and fun. Male readers and those of us who have long since put our high school years behind us can learn / re-learn much forgotten math in these volumes. (Keep in mind: McKellar's illustrative stories are geared toward females in grades 5 through 12). The website for each book provides fully worked-out solutions to all the practice problems contained in the main text.
It is also very admirable that Ms. McKellar provides pep-talks in each book to encourage and empower young women to overcome their math anxiety and to never "dumb-down" in order to perpetuate the damaging myth that popular, poised and attractive female students don't "do" math.
Hopefully she will write additional volumes in the future covering the basics of Trigonometry, Pre-Calc and Calculus!
66 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2014
My daughter loves this book and is getting an "A" in geometry in her freshman year of high school. More importantly she is inspired by Ms. McKellar and is finding math fun. I will be buying all the rest of the books in the series.
on October 14, 2013
My kids were very frustrate with math for years and those teachers were not very good. I used to love math which was because I had wonderful teachers back then. Now I forgot how to do it and bought all Danica's 4 books. They helped me to refresh my memory of how doing it. I helped my kids and their grades have so much improved now. Some of Danica's tips/tricks are WONDERFUL that I never knew! I hope Danica will make another book for PreCal, Trig and more!
on October 1, 2012
My daughter LOVES IT!!!! First she did not want to read another book for help. But, once she start reading it. She LOVED IT!!! It helps her some much on her math. THANK YOU!!
on December 28, 2012
I purchased this book for my grand daughter who is taking geometry this year. She started reading it and came out of her room saying, "Why didn't I have this book sooner, It is great and explains it really well!" I couldn't give this book a bigger compliment. The material is explained in a meaningful way for girls. It relates to their world. Highly recommend for any one going into geometry.
on October 30, 2012
I am a big fan of Danica McKellar. I have all of her books. In this book, she introduces Geometry. She writes about lines, triangles, circles, and proofs. The book is geared to girls, but she has a way of explaining math that is relevant and understandable to young people, girls and boys. As one who struggled desperately with math, I wish she was around when I was in school. Now, I actually enjoy math!
on May 14, 2014
This isn't a math book, it is a book with math in it. Three copies have been given to the tutoring center where I'm working this year. We give free tutoring and all we have to help us are the books that people give us and the textbooks that the kids bring in (I bought one of the dummy books myself, and it wasn't much help). I feel bad giving this book 2 stars, but the other reviews are mostly from people who got the book for someone else. I tutor the someone elses, so I think it's right to speak out. Here's the thing, the girls sit and read this book but first off, they mostly read the stories about the girls instead of the pages about math. When they do look at the math pages (which I read and I think are okay, but the topics aren't tied together) I always have to show them how to do their homework problems which means they aren't learning. I tutor geometry because the other tutors won't and to tell the truth it's the math I had the most trouble with when I took it. Geometry is something that takes time and work to learn how to do. I don't think there is any easy way. The girls like this book but it is not a math book.
on April 22, 2014
I purchased 4 of Danica's books for my 12 year old niece. She was having trouble with math, found it boring, and her grades were dropping. I was worried she would be insulted that I got her math books, but she was really pleased. She started the first book the night I gave them to her. Her mom told me that she started reading them as well, and thinks they are brilliant.

Danica is able to make math fun! She takes math, and likens it to everyday situations that girls might enjoy. Math is turned into quizzes, problems about shopping, boys, and other things she could relate to. Her mom also said it helps raise her confidence about doing math, and has given her a more positive outlook. We have already seen improvements in her ability to work the problems in her homework, and her grades are back on the rise.
Danica Mckellar is an actress, and a math teacher. This amazing book that's designed for teens, or anyone who seeks expert math advice, is clear, funny and concise. The author is a Master storyteller, is heartwarming, and is a Great teacher. This book is for any teen that's nervous about Algebra, who will receive important skills and good advice on step-by-step How To Problem Solving. I remember when I needed this help many years ago, and I wish this book was available back then, it would have been extremely helpful! The author delivers expert math education, includes easy to follow math lessons, fun doodles, and real-life stories about personal experiences. In addition, testimonials are included from successful women as the author provides her own feedback, while acting like a personal tutor. Danica has you covered and will have you feeling confident as you take control, while mastering high school geometry. Illuminating, Educational, and extremely helpful. Highly Recommended!
on April 28, 2015
It worked! My daughter was struggling with her grades and I got her this a couple more books. She definitely liked this one and, even though she unmistakenly worked hard to improve her grades, I think the book helped her grasp geometry concepts that the school was otherwise failing to give her. Everyone's case is different, I know, but I recommend it -- for $15, it's a nice try before you hire a tutor, which I ended up not needing to do.