Customer Discussions > Magic forum

Girls In Their Summer Clothes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2007 5:43:56 PM PDT
Man I like that! I think it's not only the best tune on the album, but the best he's done in decades. Ironically, I don't like the Title song.

What are you're favorite and least favorite songs on this album?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 10:58:00 PM PDT
You gotta check out "Living in the future" and "Last to die". It really freaked me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 4:33:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2007 4:34:02 PM PDT
Kevin Clark says:
Without even seeing the name of this song, my first thought was "boy does this sound 'Beach Boy'-like. THEN I looked at the title ... very crafty of the boss.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 4:59:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 3, 2007 6:32:09 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Am I the only one who thinks of this song as a pseudo-sequel to "Out in the Street"? Besides the fact that "Girls" contains an almost identical line about "watching girls pass by," and the lyrics in general are similar and they both have a similar peppy swagger, the songs are also similar in their little, but distinct differences. For instance, their rhythm. Both are happy, fun tunes, but now its not as block-partyish, but more theatrical and whimsical, which also bolsters the lyrics that, while similar to those in "Street" are also more reflective, ponderous, whimsical and grown-up; the same guy going back to doing the same thing only doing it through the eyes of a man who is much more traveled in life. If the character were the same in both songs he would be 25 years older now, and the song is certainly sung from the view point of an older man watching the girls pass him by, not the young romper-stomper who once upon a time walked and talked the way he wants. If you think of the song and its lyrics this way, its really sort of bitter-sweet, and makes for a neat little wink from the Boss to his fans. If you disagree with my assessment, still it's a nice song.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 3, 2007 6:40:12 PM PDT
JosephCa64 says:
Puts me in the mind of the old cover Bruce did in concert years ago, "Pretty Flamingo." Not sure who recorded that orignally.

And, the long spoken introduction about Bruce and Stevie watching a girl(who they named Flamingo) walk past them every day, and how they could never get the nerve up to speak to her.

Fast forwarded to today of course, lol.

And, while the older man perspective of Summer Clothes may apply to us listeners--I'm guessing plenty of young girls still stop for Bruce, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 12:06:31 AM PDT
Rob House says:
ok... so i drive into town in the early a.m. and grab the morning coffee....then off to pick up the new c.d.. "unwrapping" with vigilance! of course while "swearing" at the usual commute etc.etc.

a few miles later, number six comes up!

any worry's of the day or work are gone....

i won't bore you with all the years of tours, show's, album review's etc that i could provide...

only to say that "tears" where flowing when "girls" was played!!

bruce's new album should have had fogerty's title..........."revival"

this is refreshing, "very" refreshing!!!

enjoy !!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 9:56:46 AM PDT
I wholehearted agree that "Girls" is one of the best songs on this album. The album in general is like a cold glass of water after wandering the desert for 23 years (since Born in the USA)!!! I do think that "Girls" has a Beach Boys feel to it but that makes it more unique to Springsteen's style.

"Living in the Future" is "Tenth Avenue Freezeout" the sequel and up there with "Girls". I am not too crazy about "Devils Arcade". It is a little too wimpy and just a rehash of all the non-E Street albums he has put out in the last 20 plus years. On the other hand, every album needs filler. At least it isn't 95% filler like "Ghost", "Devils in Dust", "The Rising", etc.

I will say the Seeger Sessions was interesting and I purchased it because it was in my opinion the only album in his body of work at that time was listenable.

It is nice to see that Bruce is back on track!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 12:44:02 PM PDT
Boss Fan says:
Carrie, I agree with you about the new stuff, but couldn't disagree more about everything else you said ("Devil's Arcade," "The Rising," "Devils and Dust, the "Seger Sessions" is his only listenable album in 23 years?!?!?!?), but I guess some people just want "Born in the USA" style Bruce and that is certainly their right, but it seems to me if you were actually "listening" to those other albums and songs you so easily dismiss, you would agree nearly all of those works you mentioned are not only better than "The Seger Sessions," but hardly that far in "Born in the USA's" shadow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 12:58:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2007 12:59:34 PM PDT
JosephCa64 says:
And Summer Clothes is a song where the sound, which many are complaining about--works wonderfully. The wall of sound fits perfectly there.

I really don't get how anyone doesn't think You'll Be Coming Down and You're Own Worst Enemy don't sound incredible.

I don't get it.

Maybe you guys are trying too much volume?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 7:53:17 PM PDT
P. Mcfall says:
He's better looking now than when he was younger IMHO, he was too skinny!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007 5:54:04 AM PDT
Eric Edelin says:
'Girls In Their Summer Clothes' might have a fun title and production straight out of 1966, but it's definitely not a happy song. You need to actually listen to the words of the song, or read the lyrics. Bruce, after all of these years, can STILL fool his own fans in that way. Catchy melody mixed with bitterness or melancholy; that's a testament to his writing ability that puts him right up there with John Lennon and Elvis Costello.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2007 6:21:12 AM PDT
My favorites (thus far): "I'll Work for Your Love", "Livin' in the Future", and, yes, "Girls in Their Summer Clothes". My overall opinion: "Magic" is the best Bruce has done since "Tunnel of Love", with which it has little in common, but the sound on "Magic" is terrible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2007 10:53:15 PM PST
Jon Crouse says:
Bruce isn't fooling us. The words convey the sadness, but the music picks us up and energizes us. We got hope, brother, we always got hope!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 4:50:21 AM PST
Boss Fan says:
Well said.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2007 4:26:53 PM PST
I'll echo Boss Fan and say that the perspective of an older man makes his music and his perspective interesting. I like Long way Home the best. Your own worst enemy, I'll work for your love, and Girls in their summer clothes are very good also. I think that one of the amazing things about Bruce is that his message is what he sings about and if you understand that his albums are amazing in their ability to communicate. Tunnel of Love is a clear example of a guy in a spurned marriage. Darkness on the edge of town packed his efforts into his new freedom from his old manager. I, myself, really only like one song on Born in the USA- Bobbie Jean which I think is a precursor to leaving his band and moving on. The point is that he isn't afraid to try different things and if you apply that in your life it is akin to being successful in four different careers actually. Some people have a hard time being successful in one. Anyone who has been selling his music since the 60's must be doing something right.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 11:58:47 AM PST
X says:
The horribly awkward lyrics in the "Shaniqua pours the coffee" section absolutely ruins this song for me. It sounds like Springsteen bashed that verse out in about 10 seconds. I wish that verse were different, as I could then enjoy this otherwise excellent song.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2008 1:10:07 PM PST
Boss Fan says:
Ummm.. NO. Bruce can't use the name Shaniqua or something? Why not?! That is a a great verse and the best part of the song is that, and the following verse. The whole song is about imagery, and the verse you are criticizing is one of the best in that regard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2008 3:39:29 AM PST
Boss Fan, your comment was incredibly on the button, for I thought the same thing. "...they'll pass me by" is in no way a statement of defeat, but it speaks so much, with so few words. I'm in my 50s now too, and the first time I saw the band was in very early '74. Wow, it's been 34 years, and I loved every Bruce moment. For that, I give thanks! And I always will. When I first heard MAGIC, I almost cried! It's that good!!! I'm looking forward to Feb 28...Bruce in Hartford, opening up (yet again) the second leg of the tour, which will continue through summer '08.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Magic forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2007
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Magic
Magic by Bruce Springsteen (Audio CD - 2007)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (457)