Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on PlasmaCar

Format: DVDChange

on September 13, 2000
Girls Just Want to Have Fun is an 80's classic, representing the time and culture perfectly. If you want to know what it is like try thinking of an 80's version of Center Stage and mixing it with Dirty Dancing. The movie follows Janey Glenn(Sarah Jessica Parker), who has just moved into town, as she tries out for the DanceTV contest to be a regular on the show. But as always in the 80's the parents get in the way and she has to sneak out in order to practice with her elected dance partner Jeff Malene(Lee Montgomery). As romance blossoms so does jealousy for a spoilt brat Natalie Sands(Holly Gagnier) as she tries her hardest to break the two up, to win the guy and the contest, by getting Janey into trouble with her strict folks! But who will win? Well Getting into trouble is easy, but getting out of it is all the fun! Look out for some younger versions of stars of today - Helen Hunt(Lynne Stone - Janey's new friend), Shannen Doherty(Maggie Malene - Jeff's younger "Punk" sister) & Jonathan Silverman(Drew - Jeff's annoying friend).
on September 13, 2004
If you like to dance, then it's almost guaranteed that you'll love this movie!

Girls Just Want to Have Fun tells the story of a girl whose dream is to dance on her favorite dance TV show. Then she finally gets the chance in a dance contest! But before she can dance on the show, she has to learn to get along with her partner, beat out the snobby girl and HER partner who are also in the competition, convince her dad that being on the show is good for her, and improve her dance skills.

I thought this movie had great dance scenes, and great actors! I thought Sarah Jessica Parker was wonderful! Although I'm not pleased with the movies she's in today, I loved her in this movie!

I would recommend this movie to any girl who loves to dance, and any girl at all.

P.S. Please don't make mean comments about my review. It's not very nice.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2005
This movie is one of my favorites.. I am a sucker for a cheesy movie with all the ingredients.. I watch this movie whenever I need to just smile and feel good... Sarah Jessica Parker and Helen Hunt make an awesome pair in this movie.. I used to watch the movie every night as I was going to bed during my single days:)

Great feel good movie!!!!
on October 1, 2003
I really love this movie...the cast is great, the music is
phenominal. It certainly is a totally 80's experience not to
be missed. The Dance contest at the end is the greatest.....
The best part to me is that sexy Lee Montgomery....whoo hoo..what
a body...what a face:) The nice thing about the movie is no sex
and I don't recall any it is family friendly...
Just a all around great movie, but don't take my word...see it
on May 10, 2006
well I would rate this higher if the stars had allowed.

This is the story of Janey Glenn (parker) who tries out for a dance contest after watching dance tv, who are looking for a new couple to star on there show, Janey and her friend Lynne stone (Helen Hunt), both try out but lynne doesn't make it, cause Natalie (Holly Gayniar?) Pays out her partner to ruin her chances, but Janey does and is paired up with Jeff Melane (Lee Montgomery), at first the two don't connect. In the meantime Natalie learns that Janey doesn't have permission to be out of school and calls her father to say she's not in choir practice, so Lynne and Janey have to act fast by pretending Janey almost spun to death in Gymnastics try-outs. Janey and Lynne find out that Natalie is having a ball, so they distribute flyers to social deliquents, punks and outcasts who gatecrash the ball. Natalie Declares war; for the time being Romance developes between Janey and Jeff, there Dancing becomes co-ordinated and their screen chemistry is dynamite, feel good, she sneaks out to dance and be with Jeff as they prepare for the contest, all falls apart when Jeff runs into Jp Sands, Natalies father who says he could put Jeff's dads job on the line if he dances in the contest, Janey and Jeff have an argument, then She gets caught sneaking into her home, setting off the alarm, she is grounded. Jeff talks with his dad who encourages him to continue in the contest anyway saying he'll worry about Jp Sands, the moral is that Janey and Jeff dance in the contest, they win, becoming the new dance tv regulars, Natalie sulks, Lynne becomes the New Miss Dance Tv. Happy ending.

This is a feel-good chick flick, full of music, dance, romance, a good cast, well worth the watch, even to gogle at Lee Montgomery who is hot and sexy, also to see Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt and Shannon doherty in their earlier roles.

When I watch this movie, I imagine being Janey and wish I was with Jeff in that time, Dancing on dtv and having lynne stone as my best friend. There are a few websites dedicated to this Movie and the Soundtrack is well worth purchasing also the best place being ebay, if you cannot purchase this soundtrack here on Amazon, contact, the sountrack to this movie includes the songs:

1)Come On Shout

2)On The Loose

3)I can Fly

4)Dancing In Heaven

5)Girls Just want to have Fun

6)Dancing in the street

7)Too cruel

9)Wake Up The Neighbourhood

The soundtrack contains versions from the movie not the original artists, apart from a newer version of this soundtrack that contains a couple of Cyndi Lauper dance mixs and two songs by Cyndi Lauper from the Goonies Movie.
on August 30, 2003
I can't count the number of times I have watched this movie.It's one of those movies you can watch over and over.I have.I think that Lee Montgomery is so sexy.I also like the other famous actors and actresses in this movie,its also about dancing so that's a major plus too!!I love this movie.
on June 23, 2002
This movie features solid beginning movie roles for Sarah Jessica Parker & Helen Hunt and just fun all around. Hunt is annoying yet loveable with her ability to get the duo out of sticky situations. And Parker can be downright annoying as well with her naivete. But somehow it's OK in this flick. Lee Montgomery comes into the picture as the token "hot guy". He closely resembels actor Joey Lawrence in my opinion, but I digress. It is up to Parker & Montgomery to win a dance contest.
Shannen Doherty delivers a spunky lil' performance as the sister of Montgomery. I don't understand how a 17 year old would let his little sister hang around him all of the time, evidently it does happen in Girls Just Want to Have Fun Land. Jonathan Silverman is a fun character as Montgomery's scheming friend who can't get a date.
This movie is typical 80s: they go to the mall, there are boys (like, ohmigod, totally!), and an 80s soundtrack in the background (i.e. "Dancing in Heaven" & "Technique"). Not to miss are the 80s fashions, including Helen Hunt's dinosaur barettes. Any pre-teen or teen girl will really enjoy this movie and people older than that may enjoy it for nostalgic 80s reasons.
on December 28, 2001
I love this movie! I've watched this countless times since I was 5 years old, and I'm 22... can't imagine NOT watching it. The music, the dancing, the attitudes, and the clothing are everything the 80s are about. I now own it on DVD, and it's still as great as ever. As an avid fan of Sarah Jessica's "S&C"--she still HUGS THE SAME (and is as sweet then as now)!! really-- check it out sometime. If you LOVED Dirty Dancing-- YOU've got to watch this movie-- I think this came out before it and it is so much alike. Definitely recommend watching, buying, owning, and loving this movie... what girl (or even guy) DIDN't want to be on DanceTV???? <<grin>> :) And don't we all just wanna have fun!!!!!
on November 28, 1999
I saw this movie for the first time when I was probably only 10. It is now my forever favourite movie and I finally found it and bought it this year, after renting it over 20 times for sure.(I can even speak along with it). Get together with a group of your girlfriends and watch this movie! It will make you laugh at the craziness of the 80's and wish you could be friends with Janie(Sarah Jessica Parker)and Lynn(Helen Hunt). It's also really funny to see stars of today when they were just starting out. Still looking for the soundtrack though because it's got awesome music. Anyway, this movie is timeless!
on October 31, 2000
In this staple 80's movie, 2 girls get the chance of a lifetime when their favorite show, Dance TV, holds auditions for new dancers. Overly protective parents, an obnoxious little brother, and a love-hate relationship make for many funny moments throughout the film.
The plot, however is somewhat weak. Much of the film is nothing more than fluff.
And yet, this is still one of my favorite films. Maybe this is because it reminds me of growing up in the 80's, when stone washed jeans and leg warmers were way cool.