Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 13, 2010
As the mom of three kids, I have seen my fair share of play tents. Most are a big pain to set-up, and some rip easily (paper-like fabric). This tent is made of nylon-like tent fabric. Not the strongest material in the world, but just fine for what it is intended for. It also sets up very easily. Comparing it to the $50 princess tent that wouldn't stand up straignt, and had no sides or bottom, I'd have to say this is an excellant value, and very cute. Sans the frills -- i.e. no blinking lights like the princess tent, but we put our own blinking flashlight inside for a cool disco effect.

A number of other reviewers said that the pole holes were sewn shut. I must admit that I fell under the of power of suggestion. When first setting up the tent, I too thought the holes were sewn shut. However, my husband very quickly saw that the slit in the pockets were mid-way down the felt rectangle -- exactly where they should be, so that there is a "pocket" of felt surrounding the tent-pole, and it doesn't poke into the nylon fabric.

I'd have to say that it is very well designed and constucted -- and cute to boot! My ONLY complaint is the directions are horrible. Just a photo. A few words or two to explain the pockets would have saved me 3 minutes.

I think we'll be buying the boy version for our son very soon.
11 comment| 333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
I bought this for my 4 year old a YEAR ago and have left it up because I KNEW that even though it takes up half the floor space in her room, it would be a pain to put away. However, I have found this to be a great toy for LOTS of reason and have a solution to putting it away!!

First, she LOVES this toy. She doesn't play with it all the time, but regularly, so I didn't mind leaving it up.

Second, I don't know WHAT other reviewers are saying when they said this was "small"? Hmmm.. were you expecting an ACTUAL castle? My daughter share a fairly large room and it takes up half the floor space. It fits two young children inside easily. They even drag an entire dollhouse inside with them, though then it starts to get really cramped.

Third, setup is simple (especially if you are familiar with tent-pole construction.) It took about 4 minutes. The instructions say there are "small parts" that can cause choking. I have yet to find what they are talking about. The entire tent is one piece, except the poles, which are each solidly constructed, spring-pole types that I doubt ANY toddler or young child could take out once the castle is constructed (properly). It's hard enough for me, and I work out!

Fourth, "flimsy fabric" ... well, yes, this castle is made of a thin, polyester-type fabric. However, I can tell you that all FOUR of my kids have been inside it at once and we've had it up for a year, AND we have a dog with long nails and there are NO tears that I can see. That includes me picking it and tossing it over to the other side of the room now and then. We have an IKEA tent with tunnel that the kids have beat up over the years that has TONS of rips and tears in it. Note: they still love to play with them, even with the tears!!

Fifth, TAKE DOWN!! Now here's the one flaw. The metal o-rings (two -- at top and bottom) that (theoretically) could be twisted back via a figure 8 and put back into the original bag are Very Sturdy! That's a good thing YAY! Except when you WANT to put it BACK in the bag. I TRIED, for about 15 minutes and I said "Not worth my time". SO the solution??

I twisted it up as best I could, held it down and then I took two old shoe strings and tied it shut. I stowed the poles in the bag (see photo).

All in all this is a GREAT purchase for the price and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a good imaginative place place. We've surely gotten the use out of it this year and, if and when the girls are done with it, it will go on to a new home LIKE NEW!

I wouldn't even want the makers to change the construction as I think it is super-sturdy.... Perhaps they could just sell it with a LARGER (twice the size?) bag to store it in.

P.S. I didn't even know the stars glowed in the dark! It is so neat!
review image
33 comments| 204 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2012
I got this for my two year old daughter for Christmas. Husband was out and I needed to get things done so I tackled the assembly by myself. It seemed impossible until I hung the tent from the ceiling to keep it upright. Then it only took a few minutes to slide the poles in and tie them off! I used kitchen twine and binder clips to help assemble. : ) I put a Pillow Pet Dream Lite in the center for her to discover Christmas morning!
review image review image
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2014
Instructions are terrible (see attached photo). In particular, if you follow the instructions, you have a high risk of splitting the fiberglass poles and thus getting fiberglass splinters in your hands. This is not delightful at all, as you might imagine. The attached photo instructions have my suggestion for avoiding this issue. Wrote them for myself for next time I'm setting it up; thought people might find them useful. I wrapped the damaged pole in masking tape temporarily; electrical tape probably a better long-term solution for avoiding splinters from damaged poles or from shedding bits of fiberglass. (Why aren't these enameled metal? Probably expense.)

Anyway, aside from hurting myself on fiberglass splinters, this is a great tent. Wonderful size -- I can get inside it w. my 3 yr old -- and fun.
on May 14, 2011
Please be very careful with this product. I absolutely like it. Cute and fun, plenty of room for a 5'10" mommy, two twin 1 yr olds, and a couple stuffed animals, BUT it has been packed away until we are older.
The castle can tip and roll over, though not as easily as another product that we own. This did cause a rip in the tent material where the pocket of the pole is connected. Also, I would have LOVED the tent IF the support poles were completely concealed in a slip pocket all the way up. I do understand that the product is rated for a three year old. PLEASE DO NOT use this for a younger child. True there are no parts to choke on but here is why: My child (either in rolling the castle or by pulling directly on the obvious black pole) pulled the pole from it's pocket. The elastic pole instantly wrapped around her throat very tightly and I had difficulty unwrapping it. Freak accident? Maybe, but this is not for unsupervised play. The castle (that was fun while it lasted) has been packed away until we are five. Beautiful product, Good value, OK construction.
The windows allow for some ventillation (Dear goodness, do not buy a tent without them, this one still can get a little hot even with them).
We went to a different product that is not inflatable (we had one that deflated on us in two weeks), and without support poles. It is more flimsy, but has more mesh for breathability and won't hurt us for now :)
44 comments| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2010
I purchased this tent for my nieces for Christmas. We assembled it right after they opened it on Christmas day. The initial set up took longer than I expected, but after that we were able to put it together fairly quickly. This tent gave them plenty of room for play, as a matter of fact at one point there were at least four children inside of it. Later there was plenty of room for two children and a small rocking chair. I love this tent, it's very cute! It also seems pretty durable. I would definitely recommend this tent to others.
on April 15, 2015
Best gift ever for a little girl. Bought this as a birthday gift for my granddaughter's first...turned out to be a hit.
Very roomy.....toys, my granddaughter and I can all fit inside.
Very easy to put together and take down.
Spikes for holding down in ground as well!
on November 28, 2013
Got this for my 3 yr old grand daughter for her birthday and she ADORES it! Simple to put together and sturdy. Really cute too! She likes to take her dolls and stuffies in with her to share secrets with them.
on January 4, 2014
This princess castle is large and sturdy. I'm 6'3" and I can sit upright and cross legged and still have room for my daughter when she insists I join her. That being said, the trade-off is that this item has a large footprint so it takes up a decent amount of space in the room. Also, I was expecting something that was rigid but could be collapsed and popped up on demand. Not so. This item is like a true tent. It has tent poles to keep it upright. I had to fit my upper body inside it to put it together which proved to be a hassle. It is not something I am going to be taking down and putting up on a whim. So be advised that it has lots of room and is very sturdy but it takes up a lot of space in the room and is not so easy to breakdown and set-up that you are going to want do that every time playtime is over.
on October 8, 2015
babies have a lot of fun in the house !