Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on February 12, 2013
If you desire to do more for God but have not known how. If you have desired victory but you feel worn and weak. If you have always felt there was more to you and the life you are living now, then Girls With Swords is for you. This book is full of truth and everything you need to live above your circumstances, above mediocrity, above so much more than what life brings your way, Girls with Swords is for you. Whether you have been walking with God for years or a day, Girls with Swords is for you. This is not just another feel good book but a book full of the word of God that will forever change your life. It is full of power and everything we need to walk out of the shadows, into the light and into victory! It stirred my heart and let me see that I can be a hero. I can walk with my head held high and confident, not in my abilities but in the power I have received by being a daughter of the Most High. The days of being quiet and staying in the background are gone. The day for us to arise as women and take up our cross is now!!
22 comments32 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2014
Lisa Bevere's book, Girls With Swords, encourages women to be the heroes God designed them to be in an age when Satan is full-out attacking women through prejudice, sex trafficking, abuse and genocide. It's a book about spiritual warfare, spiritual growth, and discernment.

Her premise and the way she walks through each mention of 'sword' in Scripture was innovative and enlightening. I liked how she covered topics such as remaining silent when others speak out against us and about needing to know the fullness of God's Word and not just spiritual catch-phrases and the highlight moments of the Bible.

Perhaps my chief disagreement with the book was the way some of the points seemed stretched and ill-fitting. Fencing terms and random other sword history or information about swords may be intriguing, but much better to work from the Biblical discussion of swords and move out from there--not the other way around. I wasn't convinced by her explanation that 'God's word' was close to "God sword" to make the connection. How about instead relying on Ephesians 6:17 in its discussion of the "sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God"? No need for 'fancy footwork' to make that point. Because she used anything that related to a sword as the basis for each chapter, the overall progression of the book seemed choppy and occasionally jarring and confusing.

With that said, I loved some of Bevere's points in this book and have many statements underlined so I can return to them and remember. She writes with clarity and directness and her passion for God's Word is unmistakable. That alone can stir readers up to take a stand and fight battles with the Word of God as our source of strength.

I received this book free from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review and the opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
11 comment18 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
Girls with Swords: How to Carry your Cross like a Hero is Lisa Bevere’s latest book. I wanted to like this book. One of my “book buddies” at church loves her husband’s books, so I started into this book hopeful, only to soon feel she was stretching to reach her analogies. For instance, she uses the fact that the word sword is found in the words “God’S WORD”. To me this means nothing except she is trying to find anything to make her points. I would be much more impressed if that was the case in Greek as that was the language in which the New Testament was written.

I also disagree with her statement on pages 68-69:

“I don’t think the rulers of that age were particularly surprised that Jesus rose from the dead. They had seen the dead raised before, and Jesus had told everyone he would rise after three days.”

When it says in John chapter two:

19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple and the building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When there he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they belied the scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

I don’t believe that when Jesus’ own disciples did not understand until after the Resurrection that it was going to happen that the rulers had more spiritual insight than Jesus’ disciples.

She also quotes generously from The Message which is not the most accurate Bible translation available. It’s good for a devotional, but I prefer a more accurate translation.

I felt the theology was a bit off as well. Of course, I don’t agree with a lot of Pentecostal theology and this book seemed to be of Pentecostal persuasion. I did read the entire book, and there were sections I enjoyed. I liked when she told personal stories. I would have enjoyed this book much more if she would have talked more from her life and less about swords, as I think it’s a stretch to say that the cross is a sword. I believe there are better books on spiritual warfare and living the Christian life, but if you are a Lisa Bevere fan, you will likely enjoy this book.

I received a copy of this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. The opinions are my own.
22 comments55 of 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2013
Although the basic principle of bearing the sword of the Word of God is made significant, the author fails to connect many of her points very clearly to the principles. Also, her use of Scriptural references out of their cultural context leads to some interpretations and applications which are questionable. We have been using this book in a small Bible study with young ladies, and though it has sparked conversation, we have at numerous times had to set the book aside and address the practical application of the Scriptures referenced more carefully... talking about modern fencing techniques and terms may be interesting, but the connection with the cultural context of swordsmanship over 2000 years ago is not clearly established.
on January 29, 2014
I liked the foundation of the book. Teaching girls/women that they play a key part in the battle ahead is a wonderful premise. What I had a problem with was in Chapter 6 were it says that you are dishonoring God by being obese or having an eating disorder. I understand that gluttony is a sin and that your body is a temple, but being obese isn't always about being gluttonous. To write a book that is supposed to uplift girls but yet tell anyone that is obese or has an eating disorder that they are dishonoring God is hurtful and could be detrimental to a girl/womans mental well being.
0Comment22 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2014
As an avid reader and having loved two of her books in the past, I was so looking forward to this book. The title intrigued me as well. I was not impressed with this one. In fact I skipped through most of it because so much of it was scriptures from the Bible that I can read myself. It was like she cut and pasted much of the book from her Bible. Lisa usually has so much insight and power in her writing. I was disappointed.
on February 27, 2013
The premise of Ms. Bevere's book is that as women we are called to be warriors for Christ against the devil. She argues that as the offspring of Adam and Eve we are the ones that the devil has targeted and there are plenty of examples in today's world about how he is getting us away from Jesus. Bevere uses MANY biblical references, terminology that has to do with swords and fencing, and combines these with today's issues to show us how we as women are called to be warriors for Christ.

I felt like this book would have worked better if it were a speech given by Ms. Bevere, rather than a 200 page book. To me the message was repetitive throughout the book and took away from the imagery and the urgency of the message.

I tried. I really did. I tried to like this book. I tried to read it and not think that I have heard all of this before. I tried reading it and not fall asleep. I really did. But it didn't work. This book was not for me. It felt like a Religion text book that I would have read for a class during my undergraduate days (yes, I majored in Religion) rather than a book I would choose to read as a 30 something mother who is trying to strengthen her religious beliefs in this time in my life.

Disclaimer:

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review. All opinions are my own.
0Comment27 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2013
I probably should not have been reading this book by Lisa Bevere, Girls with Swords: How to Carry Your Cross Like a HeroDS the same time I was reading Secrets over Sweet Tea (previous post). The authors' styles are so different and truthfully I felt almost like I was on a beach vacation with Denise's Secrets and back in a classrom while reading Girls with Swords How to carry your cross like a hero.

I like the fact that Lisa uses a lot of scriptures in this book, but I'm not 100 percent in agreement with everything she says, example:when she speaks about The language of heaven. (I'm not of the Pentcostal persuasion).

And Lisa's contrast between a soldier and a warrrior was a new concept for me but I love her statement, "While most soldiers are paid, true warriors are made". She also tells the Bible story of the woman caught in adultery who was brought to Jesus. And because of Jesus's infinite wisdom and communication, this woman was not stoned, but Jesus freed her and empowered her to walk in the light, and I'm fairly certain she picked up a sword to fight the good fight of faith, to become the hero God created her to be and as Lisa says, to stand courageous, discerning, forgiving and wise!

Lisa talks about several different swords: some of which are the sword of harvest, sword of light, swords of song, sword of silence (ooh, that one is one of the toughest for me!) Sword of forgiveness and restoration, and how a warrior will take up her sword (in due season) and fight!

Lisa's passionate love of Christ Jesus comes across in her books and even though I don't agree with everything she says she is a strong voice for women, and her book, Girls with Swords is a book worth reading.

I received this book from Waterbrook Press in exchange for my honest review and the opinions I've stated are my own.
0Comment10 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2013
God has spoken to my heart in and through the writings of this author. Lisa has bee given a word to not only women, but the Bride of Christ. We are in a battle of epic portions whether we want to believe it or not. But our heavenly Bridegroom has not left us defenseless. It is time for the church to take up her sword, the very word of God and to be all that God has called her to be. Lisa gives great insight into where the battlefield is, who we are to battle against and how we are to enter in to the battle for eternity. Thank you for sharing from your heart all that God would have us to know.
on January 26, 2016
I wanted to love this book. It has such a catchy title. I've been reading a lot about spiritual warfare lately and I thought this book was going to really add to that study. I saw the War Room movie and loved it so much, I thought this book was an excellent companion to it. I did love the book for the first few pages, but you don't have to get far in to see that the entire book should have been a blog article or a pamphlet. She repeats herself over and over and over and over. How many times can you say the exact same thing with some different words and make the same generalizations? Well if you're Lisa Bevere the answer is a whole bunch.

We are doing it in my Bible study group, so I have to gag my way through it but the more I read it, the more I hate this book. It is full of silly cliches and generalizations that go nowhere. She really reaches hard with her sword analogies to the point they just become funny. "God's word is God sword." I literally said "Oh come on!" out loud when I read that. She does know the Bible was not written in English right?

Parts of the book are just plain offensive and really skirt the edges of not being biblical. In the beginning she basically says that God told her to write the book and all the things God said to her. That sort of thinking is so incredibly dangerous. It's not that I doubt she heard God's voice. That is not for me to judge and many people have the same experience. But to write a book about scripture and posture yourself as some sort of divinely inspired expert as if God is writing through you... that is dangerous. The BIBLE is the only authority and the ONLY word of God. Once you put your own spin on it and you write a book about the Bible, then it's subject to all the issues of sin and humanity that we deal with. This type of rhetoric is how we get these preachers who tell everyone God said they need to have a jet worth millions of dollars so God wants them all to give money. If you read the reviews, many of her devotees call her a prophet. I shudder. The call her that because that's what she sets herself up as in the beginning of the book.

She then goes on to quote people that aren't even Christians. I about lost it when I saw that she quoted the New Age guru Joseph Campbell. Joseph Campbell is I'm sure, a lovely person. At least he seems to be in interviews I had to watch in college when we had to study his books for a class, but he teaches the very antithesis of Christianity!!!! He is probably one of the most anti-Christian writers around. I know his work intimately because I studied him before I became a Christian and I studied him extensively in college. Jesus said "I am the way, the truth and the life." He said that without him, NOBODY can get to the father, that he is our savior and he is the only way to heaven. Joseph Campbell takes all the religions of the world, not just the major ones, but even small tribal religions, and he cherry picks aspects of them to prove his belief that all religions are saying the exact same thing at their core. He completely dismisses the entire point of Jesus Christ and his death and instead lumps all religions under archetypal views of mythology.

How can a Christian woman writing a book about Jesus, intended to be used in Bible studies quote Joseph "All religions are mythology and all of them are the same" Campbell???? If it wasn't for my Bible study group, I would have quit reading but alas I had to finish this book.

She quotes the Message, which is controversial at best and herteical at worst. I am of the opinion that the Message is not the word of God. But okay... whatever, lots of Christians like the Message, so I can even look past that. But the book is just SO badly written. Cliches and generalities, very few good anecodotes, so boring. Then she body shames women for being overweight in chapter 6 because hey, we don't have enough of that.

She has a chapter, I think it's chapter 6, where she tries to make a distinction between soldiers and warriors. She says things like soldiers are just doing it to get a paycheck and retire when their service is up, but warriors keep fighting their whole lives. She goes on and on and on and on with this soldiers versus warriors stuff and as the wife and daughter of a veteran it made me so mad. She was so condescending and judgemental and it was a terrible analogy. My review is getting way too long or I would give more detail about this problematic chapter, but it was the one chapter that actually made me angry.

I have read the whole book and we are supposed to do the workbook with it. I flat refuse. I had enough gagging down the entire book. The ladies at my bible study will just have to deal with it because I've had enough.

I truly do not understand all the positive reviews for this book, but for me it's a no. I haven't read any of her other books and after this there is no way I ever will. I'm just so bummed she took this awesome title because someone who crafted their book carefully could really run with it.

If you dare to disagree and dislike a Christian book, the author's devotees usually will come attack you with a vengeance so it should be interesting to see the comments on this review. At least one person is going to tell me I'm not really a Christian but hey I have my card in my wallet so I'm good there. To those people, before you even type it, please read my review carefully and note my whole Jesus is the only authority bent.