5.0 out of 5 stars Light and comfortable; awesome upgrade helmet!
Published on July 20, 2009 by Robert Larson

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not fit Extra Large Heads - WARNING!!
Figure I'd give this helmet a try due to the light weight and very adequate venting. The design and dial in fit for the back is standard design for bicycle helmets in this price range.
Published on April 30, 2010 by Mr. Ed

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and comfortable; awesome upgrade helmet!, July 20, 2009
Robert Larson (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
Just starting biking instead of driving about 2 months ago, and needed a helmet that was comfortable, looked good, and was still affordable. After a bit of research, I learned that the better helmets were lighter, while still giving the same amount of protection. More openings in the helmet meant better air flow (so your head stays cool), lighter weight, but also a bit higher price tag.

After comparing a few helmets on Amazon in the $50 range, I decided on this one based on the look and what I perceived to be a good air flow. I've put over 300 miles on my bike so far, and I can honestly say it's easy to forget the helmet is even on. Having only worn toy-store quality hemets before, this was an incredible upgrade.

It's feather-light, and it rests on my head comfortably with an easy-to-use dial at the back for making it fit snugly. The straps looked a bit uncomfortable at first sight, but as soon as you snap the buckle together you forget they are there.

AND THE AIRFLOW! WOW!! I don't even know if that's the right word for it... but this helmet keeps my head very cool. I live in SoCal with 75-90 degree weather lately, but even with commutes as long as 20 miles, the wind rushes right through the helmet, across my head as I ride, and my head does not get hot and sweaty.

I don't know how they did it, but thank you Giro for this gift to bikers!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made product, just not the right shape for my head., April 6, 2011
M. Kaainoa "Kekailoa" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
For a number of years in college, I used a cheap Bell helmet which never really fit that well, but since I didn't have money to buy a better one, I just decided to deal with it. Everyone always talked about how Giro was one of the best brands, and now years later I decided to get this Giro as I'm getting back into cycling.

The colors and materials are great. One must remember that if you overly simplify the product, it is merely fancy styrofoam with smooth plastic cosmetics and a chin strap. The straps needed a bit of playing around before it fit properly over my chin, and it seemed great. The straps stayed tight throughout my ride and was didn't bind or restrict my jaw. However, on rides more than an hour, I noticed that there was a small pain developing on the sides of my head... I call it the top "corner" of my head. Now, my head probably has a funny shape, so this is not the fault of the helmet. I was sad.

I checked out some of the helmets at my local bike shop and ended up buying a Lazer helmet because the forehead padding was better and it had enough room for my "corners" on the top of my head. The helmet is noticeably larger than the Giro, which probably has a more streamlined design, while the Lazer was large and just was made with more tolerance space for different shaped heads. I ended up returning the Giro to Amazon because I can ride for hours with the Lazer and I don't even need to take it off to fluff my hair. I don't even notice it being there. However, in terms of build and design, I believe the Giro was a better product. The Lazer was a similar $40 price tag, so it's not like I'm comparing a $40 helmet to a $100 helmet.

I would suggest checking out your local bike shop for fit before buying, and if there isn't much of a price difference, just support your local store so they don't go out of business. Helmets are like shoes and jeans, fit is more important than price and brand. Saving $5 isn't worth the pains of something that doesn't fit well if you are actually going to use the product, so place go test it before settling on something. Even within Giro's product line, depending on the "technology" they use to strap the helmet on your head, the fit changes completely. I still like the brand, and if I ever need to replace my Lazer, I'll see what Giro has to offer at that time. The expensive Giros did fit better, but I could not bring myself to spend $140 for Giro when the $40 Lazer fit just as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st time Giro user - Great helmet!, March 4, 2009
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
This helmet has great a great fit (even for my odd shaped head). I love the quick adjuster. The vents provide great air-flow to keep you cool while riding. I am a mountain biker. I'm preparing for my first triathlon. Luckily I have no idea how well this helmet performs in an impact situation because I haven't wrecked yet. Hopefully I will never have to write a review about how well this helmet performed when I wrecked (knock on wood).

Comfortable
Sleek
Keeps you cool
Inexpensive
I highly recommend this helmet (and brand)

2.0 out of 5 stars Will not fit Extra Large Heads - WARNING!!, April 30, 2010
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
HOWEVER for anyone with large heads (>60cm) be warned that this helmet will not fit you!! I have a large head which is 60.5cm, and the helmet even with the loosest dial setting in the back barely fit my head and it looked like a mushroom on top of that. The description says "universal fit", which is incorrect. Had to return it. And went with another VERY POPULAR 4 letter brand (brand sold here on Amazon and has an even bigger name in the Bike accessory industry since the invention of the telephone by the inventor Alexander Graham....) which I know has a "universal fit" that truly does have settings for even the largest heads.

BTW - I normally take a size XL with motorcycle helmets

4.0 out of 5 stars little spendy looking back, March 18, 2011
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
I purchased this helmet the same time as the "Bell Adrenaline Matte Adult Helmet in Black". I paid $39.99 for the livestrong version, and $23 for the Bell. The Bell was for my girlfriend who didn't care what helmet I got her, so I went cheap. My issue is not that this helmet is bad in any way, I just don't see it being better than the Bell helmet. Side by side they looked almost identical, but the Bell's fit system was soo much nicer. The sizing, shape, vent placement, matte finish, weight, are all nearly identical, but when you put them on , I'd be surprised to hear anyone say they think the Giro feels better...cause it doesn't. So thats my issue, this helmet is great, it looks great, is adjustable, comfortable, and fits my head (23")., its everything you would want out of a modern Giro helmet, but costs $16.99 more than a helmet I believe is better.

I'm not going to return the helmet, it gets the job done, and is comfortable, there is nothing wrong with it in any way. I'm just surprised a $23 helmet was better, and I honestly don't think its just my opinion, there is nothing other than the Livestrong brand that makes this helmet worth more. The even more amazing thing is that some of the other colors cost $54. So maybe the extra cost is going into the paint job, which on most helmets are ugly anyway. A clean simple helmet leaves no regrets.

4 stars, based on comparative value only. Otherwise a 5 star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Helmet Saved My Life!, July 22, 2011
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
On the trails going downhill at about 30 mph front wheel fell into a very deep rut. I flew over my handle bars and landed on my head. Helmet is done but I'm not. Just a tiny scratch on my forehead and a mouth full of dirt. Will definitely buy another one. It's a pretty good looking helmet too for the price. Very light and good ventilation. No complaints here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to ask for more, August 24, 2008
Bruce Gregory (Deep River, Connecticut) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
This is my third Giro helmet. Like the others, the Rift is light-weight, comfortable, and easy to adjust. The biggest challenge I faced was mounting my Third-eye mirror. Attached to the side of the visor the mirror works like a charm. I can't think of any way to improve the combination. Oh yes, the price is reasonable as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, secure, inexpensive helmet, July 14, 2009
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
I liked the ventilation design of the Rift better than the cheaper Indicator, and I liked the Accu-Dial system on Rift better than on the more expensive Phase (the Rift felt more secure). If the Rift had 3 different sizes like the Phase does, it would be perfect.

Pros: Inexpensive; very secure fit; front band is very good at catching sweat and keeping it out of your eyes; looks good; comfortable enough.

Cons: Straps seem to lie oddly, and took a while to get adjusted initially so they felt right; one-size-fits-all design can make you feel like you're wearing a helmet that's too big.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not to bad, June 30, 2008
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
THe helmets not that bad. looks a little small to me but it fits like a glove. the only problem i have is with the inside padding. there needs to be more. the hard foam sits on my head and gets annoying after a bit. i can deal though. pretty good helmet for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didnt fit my head, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Giro Rift Bike Helmet (Sports)
I have a large head, and the Giro web site stated this helmet would fit. which it did not. I wear anywhere from a 7 3/4 - 7 5/8 hat. the look great and feels very sturdy. I was really disappointed that it didn't fit to my head.

Rate and Discover Movies