Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on April 26, 2008
I bought this helmet last September. Excellent fit, very comfortable, light, and good ventilation. It's protection ability was tested yesterday when I hit a curb wrong and went flying - cracked the helmet & recieved 16 stiches to my eye but no concusion or other head injury... which really surprised the emergency room doctor. I'm buying the exact same model today as my replacement.
99 comments|453 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2007
This helmet performed perfectly during a recent bike accident. I went over the handlebars due to a front tire lockup. This happened so quickly I did not have time to react (ie. attempt to break my fall). Luckily I had my Giro Indicator on when I landed on my head! The shell was scuffed up however it was not cracked. The styrofoam absorbed the impact and did break up as you would expect. Even though I suffered multiple injuries (fractured clavicle, road rash, bruising, etc) I did not even have a headache after the crash.
This helmet works. Thank you Giro.
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 11, 2007
This helmet was really exactly what I wanted. It has a good fit and actually looks good on my head. The cheapo helmets that I was looking at at local retail stores were gigantic on my head (super thick) and I looked like a kid riding his bike in a cereal commercial or something. This has a much better 'low profile' design and it includes several extra cushioning pads that you can place where you want to inside the helmet. Very good purchase!
77 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 1, 2009
You can tell the dramatic difference in the weight of this helmet versus a comparably priced Bell helmet. It's as light as they get, comfortable, and definitely keeps your head cool.

The big negative and the reason for 2 stars is the Y shaped adjustable connecter that connect the two straps on each side of the ear to form the single strap that connects under jaw.

Most Y connectors allow the straps to lay flat against your cheek, this one however forces a twist to the straps as they enter the connector, making the strap and connector rest at an angle on your cheek. Not only is this very uncomfortable, but I imagine very un-aerodynamic. My friend has a bigger round face (he's overweight) and it was very uncomfortable. I am in shape and still had the strap angle on my cheeks instead of resting flat, so just adjusted the Y connector under my jaw line so I didn't have to feel it. That worked fine for me and still felt secure and safe for an accident, but my friend could not adjust it that low given his facial structure. The only good thing about the Y connector is it flips open easily with a finger so you can adjust it up or down quickly without a mirror. However, the way it rests on your cheeks is unacceptable and should never have made it to the assembly line (imo).
88 comments|171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2006
Was looking for a biking helmet after purchasing a new Trek 1500 this weekend and wasn't sure what I was looking for..

I went to Giro's website and read up on the company and it's history and thought I would try to see if I could find an "affordable" helmet thinking that these helmets were more "high end" and that most likely I would end up with a "cheaper" line but I was pleasantly surprised when I ran across one of these at a specialty bike shop for only $35! I tried it on and with the help of a wonderful sales person in the store had it adjusted to my head! The color I chose was white and found the fit and comfort of the helmet to be very good! So...I plunked down my $35 and tried it out that afternoon and love the feel and look! So for those of you looking for a name brand helmet at an affordable cost you can't go wrong with this line! Very pleased with my choice!
66 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2010
I purchased Giro indicator because I like the brand and this model has good reviews. I dismissed the complaints about the straps twisting against your face because I thought that the reviewers must be picky or adjusting them incorrectly. After receiving the helmet in the mail, I can confirm that the straps do in fact twist and lay at an irritating angle against your face. I am in the Marines and used to wearing kevlar helmets made by the lowest bidder so I would not consider myself picky about comfort. In my opinion, the build quality is also slightly less than my wife's Trek brand helmet which is similarly priced.
on August 2, 2012
It figures, right? You purchase a new helmet, adjust it, and get going. I go out for my tour, enjoying my ride, and head on home. As I'm cruising on home, and am a mere block away, my brakes fail, and I hit a curb going around 15-16mph. I went over the bars, fracturing a rib. The helmet got scuffed up and scratched... but no damage to the noggin whatsoever.

When it comes to safety while riding, Giro is absolutely the way to go... This may be an "entry level" helmet price point, but it protects your head like a top level helmet.
on September 28, 2011
I bought this Giro helmet to replace a very good but very old Giro helmet that I had used previously. As far as the shell is concerned, it looks good and is super light. The adjustable forehead band is easy to use and provides a snug fit.

However, this helmet gets one star for comfort... who want to ride a bike with something uncomfortable strapped their head? The problem lies in the chin strap design as mentioned by several other reviewers (I missed this flaw when doing my research. Dont make the same mistake I did!!). The design of the Y connectors make the straps and the Y connector lie at right angles to your face, digging into you face and providing a very uncomfortable fit. I dug my old Giro helmet out of storage, the shell is noticably heavier but the chin straps are very soft and the Y connectors allow for the straps to lie comfortably on my face. How Giro managed to go backwards on the design of the chin strap is a mystery to me!

Bottom Line: I'd rather wear my much heavier 20 yr old helmet than the new one. The new one is going back to Amazon tomorrow.
on October 17, 2011
I had a crash with this helmet on. Side impact with ground - left temple area. Got a good concussion with memory loss, requiring ER visit and CT Scan. No headaches, scratches or other external head injuries.

Bicycle helmets are not designed to prevent you from getting a concussion, only from getting dead. So I guess it did its job well enough, maybe. Can't be sure if it prevented anything other than superficial scrapes or a massive TBI, so that's why I'm not giving it 5 stars.

I am buying another one (exact replacement) from Amazon again.

Giro does have a crash replacement / credit program, but it takes a while and you have to pay for shipping the helmet back to them. Also, I need the helmet soon (waiting for broken elbow to heal enough) and it's only $30 or so anyway. If I has a $200 helmet I would probably go through the Giro program.

I like cheap helmets. That way I replace them every 3-5 years and whenever I crash (my first time for that) instead of thinking I can't throw it out because it is too expensive. There is no data available ranking relative crashworthyness of helmets, only if they pass the federal tests or not. Without that relative information, I'll stick with a cheaper helmet that passes.

Indications are that the rounder and smoother the helmet, the better. Those funny-looking aero helmets (exaggerated teardrop shape) are almost worse than no helmet at all because the tail of the teardrop can get caught on things or pushed around on contact so that it wrenches your neck very badly. Smoother surfaces are better because they slide on the ground, rather than grabbing the ground in a big hurry.
on July 26, 2013
I was disappointed that the helmet was too small for my head (wide on the top). The narrowest points are located right at my temple, causing headache and dizziness. (Some kind of medieval torturing apparatus.) I had to return it... Can't say anything about its safety if it doesn't fit.

I ended up getting a Bell (for less) at local Target, after trying out everything on the shelf. Many of them fit me just right - the entire head fits comfortably but not loosely into the bowl of the helmet without one place being too narrow.

My advice is: don't buy into the hype. You've got to fit it personally before you buy.