4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry helmet, but its small so check sizing carefully
Published on July 23, 2008 by Steven

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too small
I measured my head and ordered this thinking it would fit nicely as I have a pretty small head and I was within the specifications here. Well, it was way too small, small enough for a child I would say.
Published on April 12, 2011 by sammie

4.0 out of 5 stars Great entry helmet, but its small so check sizing carefully, July 23, 2008
Steven (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
Having owned many Giro helmets, and currently having a high end model, this is an excellent Giro for the price. The expensive models really give you huge vent openings, but this one is pretty good. The styling is excellent and the dial fit adjustment is comparable to the RocLoc system of the higher models. If you need a nice bike helmet at a good price, this is certainly a great choice.

However, make sure you measure your head! This is listed as a universal fit Womens model, which is a total joke. I bought this for my 3 year old daughter, who has a head that measures more than mid-way in the fit range, and it fits her great. On the other hand, my wife who wears a medium Giro Monza, a not-uncommon size for many women, could never fit into this helmet and it almost looks like she's trying to fit a kids helmet on her head. Obviously this will fit many women, but don't read "universal sizing" and order without measuring your head. The Skyla fit range is 50 to 57 cm. In comparison, a medium Giro helmet is 55-59cm (Roc-loc limits) because it also has a larger shell. By the way, the Giro Flume children's specific model has the same fit range of the Skyla of 50-57cm, and the Giro Rodeo toddler helmet is 50-55 cm.
When a Womens helmet has almost the same range as a toddler helmet, you know Giro is trying to limit the number of women who will fit into this helmet, forcing many to move up to the more expensive models that come in sizes; and there are some good reasons to buy the expensive models like fit, Roc-Loc system quick adjustability, and increased air flow.

But if your head fits, its a great helmet at a good budget-friendly price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight and comfy, October 22, 2006
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
I bought this helmet in white gold. It's a great helmet, very comfortable and light-weight. I was excited to find a women's helmet that fit me perfectly (many unisex helmets are too big and require adding lots of extra padding).

The flowers are barely visible on the white gold version, but it still looks nice. My only complaint is that when I tried to remove the snap-on visor the shell felt like it was going to break so I just left the visor on.

It's a great value for the price, I really don't even notice when I'm wearing it and I use my bike almost every day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Cute and Pretty Comfortable...At first I thought it was too small, May 1, 2011
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
I just got this helmet. When I first put it on I thought it was way too small. So I tried adjusting the wheel in the back. I loosened it as far as I thought it would go. It felt a bit better but still felt too small. I tired to adjust the wheel more but it would not turn. I was very disappointed since my head measurement was just under 22 inches and it should have fit. I had already decided that I would have to return it and started to research other helmets. While I was putting it back into the box I turned the wheel some more and realized that I could still adjust it to a much larger size. I guess that with it on my head it would not adjust as large as it could go. Not only was it larger it was too large! I fiddled with it some more and got it too a very comfortable fit. The straps do sit at an awkward angle. I adjusted the strap using the adjusters near the ear and managed to get the straps to lay correctly around my face. Overall I would say it is a very good helmet for the price. I barely notice that it is on my head now that I have adjusted it properly. You just have to do a lot of adjusting to get the right fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life saver, October 7, 2010
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
This helmet performed perfectly during a recent bike accident. I went over the handlebars due to a front tire lockup. This happened so quickly I did not have time to react (ie. attempt to break my fall). Luckily I had my Giro Indicator on when I landed on my head! The shell was scuffed up however it was not cracked. The styrofoam absorbed the impact and did break up as you would expect. Even though I suffered multiple injuries (fractured clavicle, road rash, bruising, etc) I did not even have a headache after the crash.
This helmet works. Thank you Giro.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snug but secure, October 6, 2008
I've got a small head, so finding a bike helmet that doesn't fit like a five gallon bucket is a bit of a challenge, but this fit fine for the most part.

My only complaints are that it's a real pia to get the straps adjusted right (although the back circumference type adjustment is a snap), it was really irritating the top of my head (solved by using all three of the extra pads on the crown of the helmet to keep it from rubbing my apparently non-aerodynamic head raw) and the cheek straps lay a little weird.

Overall... I didn't notice it beyond the first few moments on my bike, which is saying a lot, because I hate helmets, so it does the job, and really, for the price, it's hard to be picky. The graphics are nice, it catches attention on the road, and after getting it fitted right its fairly easy to snap on and off without losing skin.

I'd give it a 3 stars for comfort and 4 stars for overall value. If you've got a small head that's mostly round, this would absolutely be the helmet for you. For us egg heads... it'd be nice if Giro threw in a couple more sticky pads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits Great, February 1, 2010
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
My head (measured around where my eyebrows are) is 21 inches. This helmet is too snug on the smallest setting but too big on the largest settings, so it fits me right in the mid-range. It looks pretty well made. It is not a top of the line helmet by any means but is a great buy for the price. I would not try to skimp on a helmet and I feel comfortable with the quality. Plus, it matches my bike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, Breezy and inexpensive, January 6, 2007
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
I bought this helment primarily because I needed something and it was inexpensive. I was really surprised that it fit so well and it is so sturdy. In fact it is so comfortable that I often forget I have it on. I highly recommend this helmet

2.0 out of 5 stars Way too small, April 12, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars good helmet, good price, May 24, 2008
asc in md (Elkridge, MD) - See all my reviews
I chose this helmet for the price. It fits well and is easy to see out of. The back of the helmet allows for a ponytail to come out the back. I haven't had to put it to the test yet and hopefully won't, but so far it's working great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rider Recommendations, April 16, 2008
Amazon Customer (Barksdale AFB, LA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Giro Skyla Sport Bike Womens Helmet (Sports)
I went to the 2007 RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Bike Ride Across Iowa) as a support crew member, meaning I did the cyclists grocery shopping, set up their tents, that kind of thing. I was just starting to get into the cycling scene, and wanted to observe the different brands of cycling gear the team was using. Most of the guys owned Giro helmets, I was actually overwhelmed by how many of them had them. I had a conversation about the brand with one of the riders over the campfire and he sung its praises. I was skeptical, until the next day one of my teammates wrecked, pretty badly, and he was covered with scrapes and scratches, his helmet was wrecked, but he didn't sustain any head injuries, thank god. He walked away with not even a headache. The next day he went out and bought the same exact helmet again.

When mine came in, I was excited to try it out. The female designs are really cute, and are incredibly adjustable. I have a pretty big head for a female, and I was skeptical that it would fit my melon, but sure enough, if you crank that dial in the back long enough, it will fit. The numerous air slits are awesome too, as it lets your body heat out through your scalp. The only downside to that is you should probably wear a light bandana to avoid tan lines in your scalp. Even if you have long hair. As far as I can tell, the visor isn't removable, which wasn't a selling point for me at first, but it's about the perfect size, it doesn't get in your line of vision, and its just long enough to shade your eyes from the harsh sun. The helmet itself is also incredibly light, it doesn't weigh your head down, and half the time I feel like I'm not wearing anything on my head. I can't wait to road test it at this year's ride. Til then I'll be training with it.