Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 16, 2004
Jun 16, 2004

The most ambitious Vannelli's work to date! A superb work with highly improved dinamics, flashy drum breaks, percussive ambients, accurate guitar leads and many complex line vocals are the estructure for an intense, sexual, moody and soft dimed musical atmosphere. An extrordinary work that shows efficently the higher levels of Love and responsability: Love of my Life, Omens of Love, To the War, Carnal Question...

"If I came back
Just a cripple from the war
Would you hold me close
Just like you did before?
And what in the world would you do
If I could not make love to you..."

As well as soft songs with existencial regrets and highly questioned thouths inside our minds:

" If God is good
then God be cruel,
Take back the world
You've granted the fools...
Where are the summers of my life?..."

Through this intense atmospheres, Gino Vannelli is supported again by his fellow brother Joe Vanelli on Keyboards, Graham Lear on Drums (Former member of Santana), Richard Baker on various Keyboards, John Mandel on percussion and Dido on Congas...

Here in Mexico on early 90's Gino Vannelli and his brother came to play live and on a T.V. show, and I remember that neather the host Veronica Castro nor anybody, never ask anything (in that disapointed interview) about the Gist Of Gemini album, and Gino didn't say anything as well. So it was obvious that nobody (and I mean nobody!) really knew who was Gino Vannelly the man, the musician and his Work!... ain't that a pitty!

THE GIST OF THE GEMINI (1976) is Vannelli's best work to date and an effort seldomly reached, a "One in a million" recording and a must for the vannelli's REAL FANS. Another excellent past musical efforts were the "Powerfull People" album (1974), a more jazzy ballad oriented; and "Storm at Sunup" (1975) that appears like a transitional album between Powerfull and The Gist... And I bet that nobody imagined the musical direction for the vannelli brothers in 1976 but they created a new Fusion mixture of Rock, Jazz, Classic, Bossa, Cruzeiro & Ballad; that reached unimaginated levels, an intense feeling and a new statement for the rock music,....A new fix for 2007. Good Luck!
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2000
One of the best albums of the 70's is Vannelli's "Gist of the Gemini." Soulful, passionate, and reflective, the artist weaves a musical work covering a variety of musical genres, from pop to R & B to classical. The man has it all.
on January 9, 2003
After 25 years of listening to gino's work I still maintain that this is his best. A way-ahead-of-its time infusion of rock,dance,jazz and even classical! Genius stuff,here,folks! True musicians love this work and the variety of moods,vocals and instrumental styles make it at once serious,fun and insightful. Enjoy!
on October 29, 2001
I had the pleasure to finally meet Mr. Vannelli a few years ago when he played in Buffalo, New York. I took the LP "Gist of the Gemini" with me to the club so I could get his autograph after the show. He was so gracious! I treasure that autographed album cover, but I play this CD every day. The song "Omens of Love" is my personal favorite and I was extremely disappointed when Gino did not sing it at the club, despite my pleas from the audience. The whole album, for me is a spiritual experience and I think, at the time Gino made it, it was for him too. I have EVERYTHING he has recorded and I am proud of my collection. There is NOONE like him in the world.
on January 16, 1999
Gino's voice is unmatched in versatality. From his low end warmth to his smooth pleasing head voice, Gino doesn't miss a note in between. Backed by his own siblings in the music department, the quality of the instrumentation easily keeps pace with Gino's voice. Then, to top it off, the genius of the music itself is overwhelming.
on April 6, 1999
This, in my opinion, is Gino's best album. His brother, Joe Vannelli, really deserves credit for putting together all the overdubbed monophonic synthesizer tracks. A real masterpiece in my opinion. Every single track is excellent and the final track, "Summers of My Life," with its ocean wave crashes, is a beautiful, dreamy ballad, which I feel is Gino's masterpiece. His backup singers (which kind of sound like Gino with his voice sped up to sound female, and as is the case on his Pauper In Paradies album on the track "Valleys of Valhalla") truly are tight in their harmonies. (Is that you, Gino?) I classify "To The War Suite" as being tantamount with Gino's "Pauper In Paradise" orchestral work, that of a truly ingenious work by the most talented artist in the world in my eyes. Keep going strong, Gino! John Remy in Dallas, Texas
on November 2, 2006
This artist, for writing in the 70's, appears to be way ahead of his time. With music appropos to genres both pop and classical I found this to be a refreshing accomplishment of music.
on June 16, 2005
There's nothing quite like seeing the Master himself rise out of the concert hall floor amidst swirls of dry ice playing the piano and singing "Omens of Love"--I've never forgotten that song or concert in 30 years. Such a POWERFUL song. "Ugly Man" and "Fly Into This Night" are great songs with emotional impact as well. This is a more serious, introspective Gino, and the voice just emotes every lyric as heartfelt and personal. I love it.
on January 7, 2004
I have loved this work since it first came out. "Omens of Love" and "Fly into this Night" are two of my favorite songs, yet aren't - but should be - on any of his 'Favorites' CD's. The 6th through the 11th track are a continuous work. They lead us through thoughts about our responsibility - and the price we pay - for defending our liberty. This almost 30 year old set of songs is more relevant now than when it was first recorded. I not only have this work on CD, but also on its original LP form and still listen to it on my Linn Sondek LP12 with Dalquist DQ10 studio reference speakers. My my how it takes me back.
on August 21, 2000
I have been listening to this album since the 70's.
Gino's voice, the words, and emotion on this work stand apart.
He feels it through and through. Its one of those albums that makes you say "I've never heard anything like this."
To be honest, some of the synth's sound dated - even to my ears -but it doesn't matter.