Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

on October 22, 2009
The Gitzo traveler 1521T tripod barely fits inside this bag and no room for a ball head. The side pocket is small to put anything except a small ipod or phone. The material looks durable and waterproof and it matches my Kata Sensitivity V camera backpack. I'm not sure if I will keep it. I wish it was made bigger to accommodate my Gitzo ballhead.
on December 2, 2009
After coming to terms with the fact that a $600 Gitzo tripod doesn't come with a case (not counting the included dust bag), this case was one of only a few very small tripod cases that mostly meets my needs. Except for the very short strap, even at its maximum length, the case is great. It has has a small side pocket that will hold a quick release plate and small tools. The case also has thin padding.

Now about the strap... It can retract to become a great handle, but unlike the image on the tag it is far too short to wear across your back unless you are very thin. Most people will be stuck wearing it on their shoulder only. This defeats the purpose of buying this tripod and case for hiking. There is a clip attached to the bag. I used that clip and another clip that I purchased to clip the case to my lowepro slingpack using the slingpack's handle and another strap.

If the strap were 10 inches longer, I would give it 5 stars.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2011
GT1541T + GH2781T + GS3750DQR don't fit in.
Even when GS3750DQR is detached, the pocket is too small to squeeze it in.
on January 26, 2012
There are a lot of confusing reviews for this, so I hope I can clear some things up with my recent purchase.

I have the Gitzo 1581OT Ocean Traveler tripod and a Really Right Stuff BH-30 ballhead with lever release.

First I will state that WITHOUT the RRS BH-30 ballhead the Gitzo Ocean Traveler with it's stock stainless steel ballhead will fit snuggly/easily/perfectly in this GC1201T bag.

With the RRS BH-30 ballhead w/ lever release it's a little tricky to fit and zip up. After playing around for about 5 minutes in different ballhead positions, I found one where the bag can fully close without forcing it too much (just a little tug on the zipper). Hopefully I will get around to uploading a picture of it to this gallery.

Would I recommend this bag? Sure, on my other Gitzo 3 series mountaineer, I have the padded Gitzo shoulder strap on it which is more convenient for hiking on trails with (but it's so much more heavier!). Also in how the traveler folds up, I do not think the Gitzo shoulder strap will work well as the legs have to flip/fold out (unless you plan to reattach the shoulder strap each time!), not to mention with it I do not think it will fit in this it was a trade off with one or the other. I could keep the tripod in it's not folding up position, and instead in the standard closed position and get a bigger bag (like the new Kata adjustable one) with the shoulder strap, but then it just defeats the whole purpose of a compact tripod design IMO.

Yes the shoulder strap on this bag is not padded, but you can always improvise that and make your own out of fabrics, etc. I am about 5'10, and pretty much overweight at 230 pounds and detaching the velcro on the strap end you can extend the strap length like another poster mentioned. The strap does fit around me comfortably (with the exception of no pads on the strap).

The extra pocket on the bag is a welcome to store a bubble level for the hotshoe, snacks, cellphone, and keys or just your standard Gitzo cleaning/repair kit. Most other tripod bags don't even have this outside pocket, so this is a +1 in my book.
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 4, 2012
This bag is very well made: It's weather protective, it's soft, it's neat. In a way it is appropriate for such expensive equipment. So to store a Gitzo 1542T in its reversed traveling position without a head mounted it is a very good bag. It's best use might be for that specific tripod when walking, biking or attaching the expensive tripod outside e.g. a bagpack checked-in during a flight.

When it comes to an actual photoshooting, let's say, you want to carry your equipment for short distances between certain locations or you want to store it in a Rucksack while biking/hiking, then you have to unmount the head each and every time you store the tripod and you have to fold it into it's reversed travel position when packing it. That wouldn't be neccessary all the time. Only for going by plane/train or anywhere minimal size is required. Otherwise permanently reconstructing the tripod takes time and simply sucks your energy off!

So it was great having a bigger dust-bag out of a slightly damping fabric for daily use and having this bag for longer trips when compact size and protection is required (like the cheap Manfrotto nylon bag or the VidPro TC-27).

I recommend it with some preserves.
on December 25, 2010
This case fits the 1550T with ball head attached (about 17 5/8 inches) like a glove. I assume that's what the case was made for. If you happen to want to attach a fluid head to a 1550T, however, you'll be disappointed. There is no room in the glove to spare beyond the ball head. Gitzo went to extremes making the 1550T collapse to such a small size. They weren't about to make a case that would take up more space in a suitcase or backpack. I understand that, but I still wish I could squeeze in my fluid head.

The strap was designed to be capable of tightening up so that it fits snug against the body of the case. In addition to the usual adjustable buckle, there is a tip that rolls up with another 4+ inches of extension. Be sure you unroll that before you decide the strap is too small. Frankly, I don't see why they didn't just make the roll-up tip a couple of inches longer.

I'm an average height, average build of 5' 10", 165 pounds, and the strap is big enough for me. I can comfortably sling it over a shoulder or across my body with no problem.

I gave it five stars because it works for me, and it's of extremely high quality. It's as expensive as two or three cheap tripods with their cases, so it should be. It has some padding built in, but not enough to add bulk. The materials and workmanship exceeded my expectations, even at the price. It is a super-premium product at a premium price.

I wish you luck with your decision.
Tim Naff
on March 21, 2010
I find that this bag can take my Gitzo GT1541T Series 1 6X 4S G-Lock Traveler - Replaces GT1540T (Black) Tripod even when fitted with a Gitzo GH1780QR Series 1 Magnesium Center Ball Head QR (Gray) and Gitzo GLEVEL1 Series 1 Bubble Level. It's a bit of a squeeze at the head end, but it works (bag is partly made of stretch neoprene), and no other bag fits this combo so well.

The pocket can take a cable release plus a Gitzo GS5370MC Quick Release Plate, Medium Length with 1/4" and 3/8" Screws & Video Pin for the ballhead. The latter is very useful if you want to be able to slide the camera to balance a heavy camera/lens combo such as a D700 with 24-70 lens where the lens is not fitted with a tripod mount.
on July 1, 2010
My main concern with this bag was if everything would fit into it. I have the Gitzo GT1550T T6X Carbon Fiber Series 1 Rapid Column 5 Section Traveler Tripod and put on the Gitzo GH1780QR Series 1 Magnesium Center Ball Head. Everything fits perfectly and I still have about 2 inches to spare from the top.

It is disappointing that the strap is too short. 4/5 stars simply because of the short strap. Everything else was exactly what I was looking for in a light compact travel case.
on May 7, 2012
This bag fits the Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T ballhead (with lever release) perfectly. It's a snug fit (need to wrestle a bit to get it in and out) and only works with the legs reversed back over the head/center column, but it's the smallest bag you can get away with. It also has a nice side pocket that holds my wireless remote Canon RC-6 and small tools. Fit and finish are superior, it's stealth and the strap DOES extend. My only nitpicks are:

- I wish the strap were padded (easily fixable, but annoying at this price),
- The strap was a bit longer (it's just long enough for an across the back setup if you're not a big guy), and
- it was like a half-inch longer for faster access and exit with ball head attached.
on October 5, 2012
3 Stars for neutral. Haven't had occasion to actually use it. Just want to alert others since I didn't check carefully.

No doubt this case is as advertised, it is well made and good looking, but ... be aware that it ONLY carries the tripod, NO HEAD!!

If you, like me, leave the heads on your tripod for normal use, a bummer :-(

The "sack" that comes with the tripod along with the same for the head makes a nice combo.

See 1 answered question