5.0 out of 5 stars One tripod to buy if you want all
Published on December 12, 2009 by Binh Pham

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable customer service
About 6 weeks after I bought the GT2541 one of the rubber feet disappeared. Grr. I played a game with Gitzo's customer service in which I would call and leave a message, because nobody is ever available there, and then they would call and leave me a message. This went on for a week (3 or 4 times). Admittedly, I was not available to take their call, but I'm not in the...
Published on November 9, 2011 by John Brzezinski

5.0 out of 5 stars One tripod to buy if you want all, December 12, 2009
This review is from: Gitzo GT2541 Series 2 Carbon 6X4 Section Tripod with G-Lock Replaces GT2540 (Electronics)
This tripod is the best in terms of the right weight and stability. My gig is kind of heavy, Canon 1DS MK3 with the 70-200mm F2.8L the heaviest lens that I currently have and it supports it without any issue. I also have the Arca-Swiss Z1, which is also considered to be the best and the combination is so good to use. It is not light nor heavy but if this is the one tripod that you must have for all purposes, then I can't think of any other tripod to buy. It is pricey, but if you want the best and keep with you for a long time, then just buy it and forget it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No regrets...so far, November 2, 2011
Tomcat (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The tripod itself is a beautiful piece of equipment. You can't help but admire the look and feel of it. The Gitzo designers did a nice job. That helps a lot to make you feel better about spending the extra money on this tripod. I particularly like the four section model because it fits easily into a 26" suitcase when I want to take it along on along on an airplane trip. (You can also make it fit into a carry-on suitcase, but you would need to take out the center column and put it in diagonally, which would take up almost all the room in the suitcase.) I was nervous that being in a checked suitcase some luggage inspector might want to keep my tripod, but so far it hasn't disappeared.

I also spent the extra money on this tripod because I thought this would be a lifetime purchase, and I also want my pictures to come out as great as possible when I'm in a once-in-a-lifetime spot. I've seen other people post updates about their purchases, and I'll do the same if I experience any future problems, but so far, I'm happy with the purchase, althouth I'm still afraid to tell my wife how much it cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect pod to hold my eos d20 and canon 300 f/2.8 usm is lens, October 9, 2010
jun bug (Antioch, Ca USofA) - See all my reviews
It's good i waited this long to purchase this pod because i never expected that i'm gonna buy a canon 300mm F/2.8 usm is lens. When i first got the lens it was okay for me to go around shooting birds handheld but, there are times that i needed a tripod to hold it. I have to put it down sometimes after walking a mile and the only way to get the weight off my back or shoulder is to put it down on the ground. So, it was easier for me to decide what pod i'm gonna get. This is a perfect pod for my set up, very fast to set up, light to carry around and substantially strong enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I got it, January 22, 2014
just go back from aruba one of the windiest places in the world with winds from 25mph-15 mph this tripod held its own iv never been so impressed with a tripod, could the price be a little better? yes is it going to last a lifetime i sure hope lol, but based on how it held up to the heavy usage i put it through I'm sure it will. heres a timelapse i made exclusively using this tripod in 20 mph winds! keep in mind these short clips are over a hour each of an untouched tripod in massive winds! hope i helped [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid stability, light-weight, quality workmanship, December 17, 2013
This is by far the finest tripod I've owned. It folds up small enough to fit in my Kelty Redwing 3100 (along with my other gear for the day), but stable and strong enough to handle my 200-400 F4 zoom. Fit and finish is to a very high level.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is a great one, August 11, 2013
You can read all number of reviews stating that eventually you buy an expensive tripod. I have done just fine for years with various tripods including my latest Manfrotto. But I must admit this tripod is every bit as good as others say. I bought it for long hikes. It is light weight but very sturdy. Easy to set up. I use an Acratech ball head. Buy this tripod. You will never be sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits in carry-on luggage, July 10, 2013
If you leave the ballhead off, this will fit in a 22-inch roll-aboard suitcase. Put it on a slight diagonal and it's good to go in the cabin with you, instead of checked luggage. I use a RRS medium-sized head and just screw it on when I get to my destination. With an Optech/USA sling, it's easy to carry through crowded streets. It also fits well on my Lowepro backpack. Setup is quick and easy; I like it much better than my old Manfrotto aluminum for . . .well, for everything, but for the twist knobs instead of the levers. It's stable: I've successfully shot HDR series with 10 knots or more of wind, using my body to block a little and maybe a camera bag slung underneath. It's only a pound or two lighter than the Manfrotto--but that makes a big difference after a few hours. And on a freezing night in London I came to appreciate the difference between metal and carbon fiber.

Some people have complained about the feet coming off; in 20 months, that hasn't happened to me. (I do keep checking, though!)

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding tripod., January 28, 2015
This was my third tripod. Like many other people, when I first started out in photography and needed a tripod I couldn't see the value in purchasing one for lots of cash. I think my first tripod cost less than a hundred dollars. My tripod pictures were never tack sharp. My next tripod came as a gift. It was beautiful and came from a most reputable maker of tripods, but it was a weighty beast. I always thought twice before bringing a tripod with me because it was just so painful and annoying to carry. Still, because it was such a solid and sturdy and reliable beast, I couldn't justify purchasing another one. So several years passed as I mooned over the gitzo carbon fibers here on Amazon. Year. Honestly. Finally as I was about to go on a photography vacation I pulled up one of the tripods I'd stored in my cart and hit the "buy it now" button. Oh My.... why did I wait so darn long? I am writing this long preamble to my review because I know I am not alone in my thinking and I want others who think there is no reason for replacing a perfectly good tripod with a lightweight more expensive tripod, to think again. There is EVERY REASON to go this route.

This Gitzo is rock solid and so wonderfully lightweight. I ordered the 2000 series 2 because it can accomodate more weight and I wanted that flexibility. I went on a birding trip with the gitzo. I rented a canon 600mm lens which I paired with a wimberley gimbal head and the 5d11 camera. This is a very weighty combination and the tripod never balked or budged. If I'd had my old monster tripod with me I think my back and shoulders would have shut me down after the first day. The Gitzo made things so much easier from a weight standpoint.

Set up and break down is also a breeze with their leg lock system. I never felt the legs creep or slip. They are thin and light but oh so steady and do not yield to gusts of wind. You can also remove the center column in order to bring the legs down even lower. I think they go down to six or seven inches which is a real plus for getting more interesting angles. And, of course, there is the center column hook on which you can hang your camera bag, either for even greater stability or simply to get it out from underfoot. I used this feature often.

This tripod is designed to be with you for a lifetime. I can't imagine needing to replace it any time soon but of course, technology is always advancing so there may be something down the road that hasn't been invented yet to replace this. For now, this is it and I plan to keep it for a long long long time. It is easy to see that they used quality hardware that, if cared for properly will outlast me.

If, like me, you are someone who appreciates the beauty of good construction this tripod will appeal to you on that level as well. It is beautifully designed and executed.

BOTTOM LINE: This is a no brainer. This tripod is for you if you do serious photography with heavy cameras and lenses and want to see tack sharp results. Stop wasting money on the inexpensive pods that don't last. Treat yourself and your camera to this and watch it last you a lifetime

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the best all in one tripod..., May 24, 2012
The heaviest lens is 70-200 2.8 for me. I bought a BH-55 Full-Size Ballhead coupled with Gitzo GT2541, best combo ever for my D800. I wanted something I could travel with and this does it. I plan to get the 200-400 f4 later, if this tripod won't be sufficient sturdy, which I doubt, then I will also get the GT3531. I did buy that initially but it was to big to carry around, more for like studio work.

I plan to get the 200-400 f4 once I get more money in.

This is quality stuff (made in Italy) not china crap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you go GITZO you will never go back, March 24, 2013
Ok let me keep this short and simple.
i have owned many tripods but nothing in my opinion compares
to the quality of this bad boy. I know this tripod will last me the
remainder of my time.
do not settle for less, spend the extra for something will last.