Published on March 18, 2009 by enelsonnorgaard

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected...
Published on September 12, 2009 by Book Lover

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected..., September 12, 2009
Book Lover (Minneapolis, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give It All, Give It Now: One of the Few Things I Know About Writing (Hardcover)
I have been a huge fan of Annie Dillard for years. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek remains one of the top 10 books I've ever read. So I was excited to see this new book. As you can read in the description, it's a "book" that unfolds out into a long, beautiful work of art -- the words are great -- they express a wonderful sentiment about the urgency of sharing your gift -- and the artwork is lovely. But the whole work is only a couple of sentences long. I expected much more writing.

So, buy it as a work of art or for a nice affirmation, but don't expect to read more than a couple of sentences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect gift for any aspiring writer, beautifully illustrated, March 18, 2009
This is an amazingly under priced gift book filled with inspired illustrations by the great 93 year old water colorist, Sam Fink. Obviously, Annie is as much an inspiration to Mr. Fink with her "secret" to great writing as she is to legendary writer, Susan Cheever. You just can't find interestingly conceived items like this: a slip cased, hard cover art book which folds out like a mural, accordion style. Buy a few and give them all now to your loved ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect way to send the most important message of today, March 30, 2009
A sweet book with a timely message. It is so important in this time of need for those privileged enough to give to do so. This book provides the right message on how and why to do this.

What a great message to spread and in such a wonderful package! The message, illustrations and the accordion all give reason to BUY THIS BOOK!

1.0 out of 5 stars a very expensive greeting card, June 19, 2009
reader (munster, in) - See all my reviews
I bought this book at the mall, and luckily my kids and I stopped by the food court for a snack, at which time I gently slitted the shrink wrapping with my Borders Rewards Card and coaxed the book out of its slipcase (which is one size too small). Imagine my surprise and dismay when I saw it was just one sentence spread over the alleged fifty or so accordion-style pages. The paintings were beautiful and very attractive to me, a collector of books, images of books, and figurines of people and even animals holding books or reading; and the sentence they illustrated was admittedly very profound and inspirational. But that was all it was -a sentence. And for the price (19.95 plus tax) I felt it was no more than a book-bound greeting card. And with no music to boot! Also, I turned to the back pages,hoping for some text or additional words and watercolors, and all it was, was an expanse of wispy clouds against a blue sky. I promptly and carefully pushed the "book" back into its slipcase (which [did I mention?] is one size too small) and returned it to the store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gift book for Writers?, April 21, 2009
[...]

As an admirer of Annie Dillard's work, I was intrigued at the publication of the new novelty book, Give it all. Give it now. The book is a unique blend of watercolor and the written word, a sort of picture book for grown ups.

Dillard encourages writers to "give it all" and not to hoard for later that which seems good. She assures that more good ideas will come, like a well filling from beneath. The words are inspiring in many ways. Directed to writers, the advice is also pointedly applicable to those of us who fight the impulse to keep for later use what might be beneficial to our neighbors today. I'm sure I run the risk of being too literal with Dillard's advice, but I certainly found myself nodding along as I read her words.

Sam Fink, a former advertising executive and teacher, has published two previous novelty books that incorporate famous words with his original illustrations. In this, his third book, Fink chose Annie Dillard's advice to fellow writers. The book itself is not traditionally bound, but opens up as an accordion to stretch 20 feet. Expecting the pictures to meld together is a mistake, though, as each two page spread is separate unto itself. This structure makes it easy to sit and look through the book, without needing to open the entire thing--although I would certainly advise doing that at least once! The illustrations themselves are sometimes brilliant, sometimes a little too simplistic, but the quality is always good.

This book would be a unique gift for a writer or collector of Dillard's books (or those of Susan Cheever, who wrote the introduction.) I'm not certain how often this book would be pulled off the bookshelf to be re-read, but I can equally see how this text might be just the encouragement one might need to push oneself a little harder. In fact, some writers might even be so bold as to unfold the book and hang it up on the wall, as a giant sort of motivational poster.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Annie, Very Disappointed in This Book, March 13, 2009
I failed to read all of the description. Annie Dillard, Susan Cheever - why would you need to read a description. They had me with the title and the beautiful cover and I couldn't wait to get home today to my Amazon delivery. Boy, was I disappointed!!!! First, I couldn't get it out of the sleeve - (yes it comes in a sleeve) -had to pound it on the counter top to get it to where I could grasp it enough to pull it out and when I did, second disappointment-it's a picture book!!!! I was so looking forward to reading this book tonight that I sat right down to write a review to let everyone know to BEWARE - it's a beautifully done, accordian style picture book. I don't put Annie Dillard and picture book in the same genre. Sorry but I wouldn't even give this book as a gift since you curse like crazy getting it out of the sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Fink's inscription and illustrations are outstanding, July 18, 2009
Not suitable for library lending rigors but absolutely perfect for gift-giving for any writer is GIVE IT ALL GIVE IT NOW: ONE OF THE FEW THINGS I KNOW ABOUT WRITING. Gorgeous colorful pages in an accordion-style format with a classy slipcase accompany tips on becoming more spontaneous and less angst-driven about writing. Her short words are inspiration beyond the literary world, offering ideas for living. Sam Fink's inscription and illustrations are outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, April 15, 2009
I saw a copy of this book at the store for my daughter and got more online to have as birthday gifts for her friends. My 11 year old is an artist, a writer, a creative soul. Everything about this book from its non-traditional format, gorgeous design and simple but powerful content is perfect. it is a great gift, a wonderful message, for pre-teens and older.

2.0 out of 5 stars Really, really disappointing, March 15, 2014
The summary on Amazon implies that you will learn a lot about Dillard's current take on writing. In reality, the only text is one long paragraph about writing. Yes, the illustrations are charming, the accordion format is fun but too precious. I gave it two stars because I am a Dillard fan and I'm too lazy to return it. Not worth the money. Get her book THE WRITING LIFE, published in 1989. Much, much better.

2.0 out of 5 stars OOPS!, September 3, 2013
Big Annie Dillard fan, so much so that I would purchase about anything she's written without having to 'peek inside' or read reviews. My mistake this time. Yes, beautiful artwork, and an inspiring sentiment (first put into print in 1989). But it's only a couple sentences. I agree with others who've written that they were expecting more text. 'Don't judge a book by it's cover' is fitting in this case. I should have investigated before ordering.

Give It All, Give It Now: One of the Few Things I Know About Writing
$19.95 $16.09
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.