5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful deepening of Rumi's words
Published on July 30, 2008 by Jeanne Mackey

1.0 out of 5 stars No burning, none!
This is the most misrepresented product possibly ever! I saw the words "Rumi" and "Coleman Barks" on the front, can't go wrong, so I hit the buy button. Mistake. Big one. With all due respect, let me summarize the creation of this album: "A sufi was wandering the world--an unusual sufi, a tenor ballad singer--when he came upon a piano bar, and happily, for him, it was...
Published on May 2, 2010 by R. Crolene

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful deepening of Rumi's words, July 30, 2008
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
I have always loved Rumi's poetry since I first read "Let the beauty we love be what we do; there are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground." With this CD, Laszlo Slomovits gives us a new way to experience Rumi's words. The songs in "Give Light" help shift my perspective, whether it's the bluesy arrangement of "Keep Walking"(though there's no place to get to) with Madcat Ruth's smokin' harmonica or my favorite, "Don't Go Back to Sleep" with its evocative melody, shimmering flute, and insistent percussion. Laz's singing is joyful and nuanced, a pleasure to listen to. An added bonus: the songs help me remember the words when I need them the most! This CD is at the top of my playlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Light - The Poetry of Rumi set to music, August 8, 2008
Pat Micks (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
What a beautiful introduction to the gentle, wise, and mystical poetry of Rumi, written nearly 800 years ago. Laszlo Slomovits has given it new life with his music and his voice. I like the range of mood, rhythm, and style he created in the musical arrangements, but what impresses me most is how his voice expresses his own deep experience of Rumi's words. I think his personal expression is the album's greatest strength. I find myself dancing to the irresitable rhythms each time I listen, and I sing the melodies in my memory long afterward. Many of the songs would be lovely accompaniment for Dances of Universal Peace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slomovits - Rumi: Give Light CD, July 25, 2008
Gail Geary "Gigi" (Saint Augustine FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
Such a sweet (and portable!) rendition of Rumi's work. Highly recommended. Laszlo Slomovits has a strong, clear voice, making the words easy to understand. I especially like the variety of musical styles as a reminder that the poet saint's messages are timeless. Let us all give thanks that Laz is playing this music for The Host. -- Gail Geary

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Light:Rumi, July 24, 2008
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
This CD, with translations of Rumi poetry by Coleman Barks and set to voice and music composed by Laszlo Slomovitz, is joyful and playful, while it awakens and opens the heart to it's most intimate yearning for truth. It carries the listener to Light: the joy, the playfulness, the grace, the truth dancing in each their own heart. With each listening of this CD the words and music only grow richer and their message deeper, never old and stale. I find great healing and balancing of mind and spirit each time I listen to this CD; cumulative healing and balancing.
Freda

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift, July 24, 2008
Karen Chalmer (Chelsea, MI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
I received this CD as a gift, and what a gift it turned out to be! Rumi's wisdom is timeless, priceless, and often takes unexpected forms. This wasn't quite like any music CD I'd ever heard. Some of the songs appealed to me immediately, and as I began to listen I began to fall in love. The music and the thoughts dance so beautifully with each other. Together they are very nourishing. And there is something for every mood--a rich variety of musical styles and poetry invoking love, humor, sorrow, joy, courage, longing, mystery. It is a source of both inspiration and pleasure. Soon I began giving this CD to all my friends. They thank me heartily. If you're looking for a special treat for someone, perhaps something to get them through a hard time or to rejoice in a good time, you couldn't do better than this.

Karen Chalmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best CD On the Market!, May 14, 2010
PEP (Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
I first heard Las perform many of the songs from this CD at the Interfaith Center in Ann Arbor.
I was instantly transfixed by both the melodies and lyrics of this absolutely spellbinding and
breathtaking CD! It is pure genius, and I left buying a copy for myself and one
for my sister.

This CD is so beautiful, so light, bright and just right that it has become one of
my all-time favorites. The lyrics are all meaningful and speak to the human heart.
The music is captivating and will leave you smiling----for a very long time.

I highly recommend this CD to anyone who values gorgeous music and meaningful words.
To anyone who loves poety and fine art. To anyone who wishes to treat themself to
an enchanting musical experience for the ears, heart and soul. This CD is a real winner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual lift..., April 20, 2010
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
I love this CD. It is one of my favorites in my collection and I put it on whenever I need a spiritual lift. Laz's musical interpretation of Rumi's poems is wonderful. "Don't Go Back to Sleep" is one that I keep humming all day long. "The Reed Flute's Song" and "Today" are two that really resonate with me in different ways. They're all great! This CD is terrific.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Light:Rumi, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
Rumi's poetry beautifully set to music. Haunting, mystical and transforming. Laszlo Slomovits brings to life the powerful spirituality of this 13th Century Sufi mystic.

5.0 out of 5 stars GIVE LIGHT review by Nancy Heers, April 9, 2010
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
In GIVE LIGHT, the poetry of Rumi, translated by Coleman Barks, is set to music by Laszlo Slomovits. Laszlo expresses his own deep experience of Rumi's poetry. This beautiful music lifts the spirit and leads you to dance.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this CD, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Give Light:Rumi (Audio CD)
While I had heard Las Slomovits perform on several occasions, I was not familiar with Rumi's poetry before I received this CD. I became enchanted immediately. The wisdom of the words and the flow of the melodies are wonderfully woven together. The beautiful simplicity of the combination reminds me of Taize music and has the same soothing effect on my soul. I love this CD! May it introduce those have enjoyed Slomovits music for years to this great poetry and those who have loved Rumi to Slomovits wonderful music making.

Give Light:Rumi
Give Light:Rumi by Laszlo Slomovits (Audio CD - 2007)
Rate and Discover Movies