Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Give Me Liberty!: An American History (Seagull Third Edition) (Vol. 2)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 19, 2012
The perspective that Give Me Liberty presents to its readers is predominantly one of the voice of the under represented or disenfranchised in the history of the United States. Professor Foner makes a concerted effort to convey how the average citizen experienced the history occurring around them and casts them as players in that drama.

What I have found surprising though is that for an academic text, Give Me Liberty often lacks objectivity to the point where Professor Foner blatantly injects his own subjective opinion into the text. It isn't even that he is giving examples of the thinking of others which would reflect his thesis; he just comes right out and tells you what he thinks. An example of this can be found on page 656, in the section which discusses "The New Imperialism." Foner writes, "... eventually, they would be accorded the right to self-government, although no one could be sure how long this would take. In the meantime, 'empire' was another word for 'exploitation.'"

While I may agree with this sentiment, I was under the impression that an academic text, especially one intended for a college-level audience, should, as objectively as practical, present the facts and allow the student to exercise their critical-thinking ability to consider the evidence and draw their own conclusions to the material presented.

Another minor issues I have with the the text is that Professor Foner has a tendency of using unattributed or anonymous quotations. An example of this is "... one historian has written,...." Well, if it is one historian, who was it? I can understand if he is making a generalization of how a large group of people felt about a topic, but if it is just one person, can't you attribute the quote to them? I don't necessarily expect footnoted references, but at least say who the person is.

Even with the issues that I have presented, I have given Give Me Liberty a four-star rating because of the fact that this text has caused me to look at American history from a much different perspective than that which was presented in other American history classes or as portrayed in popular culture. If you are open to the ideas presented, it will definitely give you a fresh perspective into what the American Experience has been for the majority of the people who have experienced it.
44 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2014
Purchased this as the required text for a college class, was pleased to find the author's writing on the events of this time period(Reconstruction to early 21st century) was neither excessively liberal nor conservative. Foner does a fair job of bringing historical events to life, and his writing is very insightful.
on January 23, 2013
I had to have vol 1 and 2 for history classes. I love the way the author tells the "stories" of history. I like that this book isn't just dry facts, but tells about people's mindsets through the time periods as well. I am not going to sell my copy back simply because this is a wonderful read that I wish to keep on my shelves.
on December 4, 2013
Another really well written history manual by Eric Foner. He does a tremendous job of distilling a ton of information down to its base meaning.
on July 15, 2013
Foner is super-mega-ultra detail oriented in this book, and writes in a way that isn't dry and featureless. Between this guy and the Library of Congress you can probably learn everything you ever wanted to know about American history.
on May 3, 2015
Perfect condition, works in place of edition 4, and it's WAY cheaper.
on August 30, 2013
After completing my college US history class that covers United States history prior the Civil War, I decided to keep it rather than selling it for a handful of bucks. It's actually an interesting read with a good telling of history. I found it somewhat useful for my class.
on January 23, 2014
This book was in very good condition when I got my hands on it and it was much cheaper than at the school book store. This was definitely worth my money.
on June 8, 2014
Honestly i can't expect much. I bought it for 10 bucks and it'll do what i need it to do. All the pages are there and its not colored all over. The only down side is that the book smells like it has been marinading in a tub of ghanja for weeks. I guess ill be getting a contact high every time i need to do some homework. None the less, great deal for the money.
on June 3, 2015
Had a error made with the ISBN when order was placed. But Best Corp. Took care of all my issues, a job very well done!! Thank you!!!!