Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 15, 2006
I am a pastor of a congregation and we are using this as a congregational-wide discussion on the theology of stewardship. What I treasure about this book is that it starts with a good theological background before getting into nuts and bolts sorts of issues. Because Powell argues that all of life is about stewardship, this book is an excellent read for those who are tired of seeing people who only associate stewardship with church fundraising.
on June 25, 2007
I really enjoyed reading this book. The very unique but biblical position that the author takes on giving is totally refreshing. So many books just want to press on with tithing or guilt trip stewardship, but this refreshing look at the whole concept made me want to give even more - not just money but time. We all need to consider that everything we have is a gift from God and how we use all of these gifts (not just 10%) is important.
on November 5, 2006
This is a great book on stewardship. It's easy to read and provides good news on the subject from a completely different perspective than I have ever heard before. I am using this book in adult Christian Education classes and it is overwhelmingly positively regarded. Mark Allen Powell is a superb author with keen insight and fresh perspective. I highly recommend this book!
on February 3, 2012
My congregation studied this book. Mr. Powell is good at inviting theological reflection and insight into the meaning of giving, and an engaging writer. This is undermined by the chapter in which he encourages people to figure their "share" of a congregational budget, partly based on his mental algebra of what a responsible share would be. Most congregations I know do not budget as they would if generosity was the norm, because many attenders are not proportional givers. And many congregations would go out of business if generous givers who embrace generosity, and/or the tithe as a marker of generosity, adopted Mr. Powell's approach, and cut back their gifts of 7, 9, 12% of their income by adopting his fair share of the whole concept of doing one's part, and then perhaps more, not generosity. Many people use comparative justification to fail to discover generosity, and so hold us all back from helping our country to flourish through intelligent creative giving. The "share" is a poor heuristic anchor for generosity, which is why the parable of the talents doesn't endorse it.
on August 18, 2012
I've never read a stewardship book that was very exciting reading, and this one is no exception. For those seeking guidance in personal stewardship, however,and surely for church leaders seeking a congregational study book to stimulate giving, this book offers sound, non-legalistic, and simple to comprehend advice. I wouldn't recommend this book (nor any other) as the absolute definitive answer on all stewardship questions. Yet its ideas are fresh and will stimulate the reader's own thoughts and commitments to giving to God.
on February 12, 2009
This book is a quick read but powerful conceptually for helping us to transform our thinking about God and who He is. It is about stewardship and understanding that everything belongs to God. Stewardship is an act of worship, expression of faith and a discipline for spiritual growth. It is important that we not on be good stewards in terms of finances but also in terms of our time and talents.
on October 25, 2009
Giving to God by Mark Allen Powell is an easy read on the subject of stewardship. It is written from a Lutheran perspective, but is Biblical based with scriptures to support the authors point of view. He presents some interesting concepts, some old some new,and thought provoking. The author's writing style is easy to read and the layout of the information is well organized. This is a must read for anyone interested in stewardship regardless of demonination.
on March 4, 2009
I bought this book to prepare myself for a stewardship chairperson position within my Lutheran church. It is very, very clear. It is very much bible based, giving many passages of reference. It gives wonderful ideas regarding stewardship and loving God. It was even more than I expected! I plan to have each committee member read it. If we are all fired up about stewardship and what God expects of us, perhaps we can get our congregtion fired up as well.
on December 14, 2013
Mark Allen Powell uses personal vignettes along side the biblical witness to open up the matter of generosity. Where does it come from? What are our own expectations, hopes, and how does our own generosity reveal God at work in us and in this world.
on September 4, 2013
This book does an excellent job of exploring the foundation of giving in the modern church. It shows that there are strong biblical and historical roots to the sacrificial nature of giving, emphasizing the need to give of the first fruits of our harvest. It shows that there are strong biblical and historical roots for giving to those in need. It emphasizes the benefit to the one who gives as well as to the one who receives.