Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 45 Count
Size: SingleChange
Price:$11.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on November 26, 2011
We've been using these bags for YEARS and they've always done the job until Glad changed their design. The box now says "Stronger With Less Plastic". They got that half right. It's less plastic for sure, but they now shred easily. If you push the trash down, they shred. If you put something in with a hard edge, they shred. If you don't pull the strings with a delicate touch, they shred. These are just terrible. We're going to try switching to the Sam's Club or Costco store brand bags and see if they work better. I'm definitely not buying these bags again unless they switch back to their old design. If anybody knows of another brand that works as well as these bags used to work, please post it in a review so we can all switch bags and move on with our lives. :)
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2011
"Stronger with Less Plastic" - yeah, right. Less plastic sure enough. I lifted the first one I used by the drawstring, and ended up standing there with the drawstring in hand and a shredded opening on the trash bag. Great, clean up the mess and get to use a second bag which also shredded. Spin and twist the bags and they still tear below the twist.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I love these bags because they are just easy to use. They are not rolled together on one sheet so they are easy to just pull out of the box without fussing with tearing at all. They are very strong, we pack them full and they never break. I always pay a bit more for glad than the store brands because I know that they are never going to break.
on May 1, 2012
I tried and switched to these bags about a year ago and recently i find us having to double bag because they rip under the slightest pressure.
Supposedly they changed the formula to make these easier to biodegrade. Im all for anything to better our environment but wheres the savings
when we have to double up just to get it to the street??????????????????
on May 6, 2013
I bought these after reading a Consumer Reports evaluation of the strength of garbage bags. My daughter has lots of diapers which weighs heavily in garbage bags. I used to buy generic store-brand bags, but the bags kept ripping. These suckers are pretty strong. I don't want to shell out the extra cash to buy construction-grade bags, so these are an excellent substitute for kitchen trash and diapers and haven't torn yet.
on May 11, 2012
I honestly haven't had a single issue with these trash bags, however I will admit that the bag itself feels thinner and more likely to break if I happen to gather enough heavy trash inside, and there's a good chance that under these conditions the bag could rip and cause a huge mess on my kitchen floor. However the drawstrings work really great for me and I haven't had a single issue with them. I recommend these trash bags.
on December 30, 2012
We've lost two out of six of them so far. They are really much weaker and more likely shred and tear. We've been doubling them up which we are sure is a great way to save our natural resources. We guess it's progress like those low flow shower heads requiring longer showers to get the soap off and low flush toilets having to be flushed twice.
on September 4, 2012
I have resorted to doubling up these bags because they leak EVERY TIME. The sooner I am done with this box the better! This is a result of the re-design. Never had a problem with Glad bags before this.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is a very satisfactory kitchen trash bag. It is what we have used at home for several years. We find it does the job perfectly well, although for some households if the loads are heavier or packed more tightly, you might want one of the heavier reinforced versions that Glad also makes ("ForceFlex" for example).

I normally purchase these at the local W**Mart store, and I decided to see if it would be possible to purchase them here on Amazon, hoping both to save money as well as make it more convenient to re-supply when we run out.

To begin with, it turns out that purchasing a product like this on Amazon requires a bit of a research project.

First you need to sort through the various styles of kitchen trash bags offered by Glad - reinforced, not reinforced, or "ForceFlex" extra strong reinforced; with drawstrings or not; with or without odor shield - to make sure that you are looking at the product that is equivalent to what you normally buy. This version is the reinforced bag so it is stronger than the 'normal' version, and it has drawstrings which make it very easy to tie off the bags. This is a 13 gal bag, 2 ft x 2 ft 3 3/8 inch x 0.95 ml (top) / 0.78 ml thickness (body). Again, it is not the reinforced "ForceFlex" variation, and it does not have the odor control.

Amazon offers this product packaged in various quantities, from 22 to 100 count, just as most large supermarkets offer. Actually, Amazon doesn't offer the largest size that we normally buy - 120 count. But they have plenty of other choices.

The question is really - what is the most cost-effective? Which one is the least cost per-bag, and does it compare with the local discount supermarket?

I paid just under fifteen bucks today for the 120 count at the local W**Mart store - that works out to about 12.5 cents per bag.

Here are some of the various choices available on Amazon, with the per-bag costs using today's pricing as I am writing this review:

Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 45 Count - (product on this page) 16.6 cents per bag for single pack; 48.9 cents per bag for double pack; 48.1 cents per bag when purchasing triple pack (this product is the same listing as below, but for some reason there are two different ASIN numbers on Amazon). (Note that the single pack is sold by Amazon, the double is sold by Liquidation Warehouse, and the triple is sold by Prime Inc.)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 90 Count - 14.4 cents per bag; 41.6 cents per bag when purchasing the double pack of 180 bags (the 90 count package is sold by Amazon; the 180 count package is sold by Prime Inc.) (Also listed on Amazon as ASIN B00GZIHYHI)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 45 Count (Pack of 4) - 22.2 cents per bag (sold by Online Direct and fulfilled by Amazon)
Glad Tall-Kitchen Drawstring Bags, 24 x 27 3/8, 13gal, .95mil, White, 100/Box - 31 cents per bag (sold by Buy DMi Inc.)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 22 Count (Pack of 2) - 23.1 cents per bag (sold by Amazon)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Garbage Bags, 78 Count - 28.2 cents per bag (sold by toolboxsupply and fulfilled by Amazon)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Bags, White, 22 ea - 54.5 cents per bag (sold by earlybirdstart and fulfilled by Amazon)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 135 COUNT - 48.1 cents per bag when purchasing triple pack; 48.9 cents per bag for double pack; 16.6 cents per bag for single pack (this product is the same listing as above, but for some reason there are two different ASIN numbers on Amazon). (Note that the single pack is sold by Amazon, the double is sold by Liquidation Warehouse, and the triple is sold by Prime Inc.)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Trash Bags, 13 Gallon, 45 Count (135 Count) - 38.1 cents per bag (sold by MEI ZUHOV)
Glad Tall Kitchen Drawstring Garbage Bags, White, 13 Gallo (4-Pack) - 35 cents per bag (4 x 45 count) (sold by pattysbooks)

Price per bag above was calculated using the current prices on Amazon as I write this review. Note that most of these products either include free shipping, or are free for Amazon Prime members. I did include shipping costs in the per bag calculation above, for those products that were non-Prime and have additional shipping costs. I'm including the links above not only to show the comparison, but because pricing on Amazon can vary widely, and it is very possible that changes could be made after I write this review, which would result in one of these other offerings becoming more competitively priced.

None of the choices above that I found on Amazon were competitive with my local supermarket. This outcome was a bit of a disappointment to me; from the standpoint of convenience, I'd like to be able to order these supplies from Amazon and have them delivered as needed. But with current pricing that is not attractive. And with such a wide variation in pricing here on Amazon, clearly it is necessary to shop carefully and check unit pricing, to make sure that the product is not over-priced.

As if this was not already complicated enough, most if not all of the various product listings given above can also be purchased from a variety of other sellers right here on Amazon. Generally, on the Amazon product page, near the top if you see something like "11 new from $xx.xx" and click on that link, then you'll see the full listing of sellers and their various prices. These vary widely and from time to time one or the other will be the cheapest - I believe that the overall cheapest with shipping included is the one displayed on the main Amazon page. But that means that you could find a different seller displayed than the one I've identified above as I write this review.

And given that there are many sellers claiming to offer the same thing on Amazon, buyers should know that the different sellers are not equivalent with respect to customer service, and there is even the possibility that the product supplied by some of the sellers will differ from what they claim they are selling. If you have not purchased from a particular seller in the past, then at a minimum I recommend clicking on the sellers name, and looking at the recent customer feedback posted by others who have purchased from them. If the seller has a high positive rating (I personally want to see 90% minimum), and if you don't see too many one or two star ratings, then that can provide some assurance. Unfortunately it is necessary to be skeptical about sellers here on Amazon - for some products you just cannot be sure of getting the 'real' name-brand product and not a knock-off or generic 'equivalent'. This is a real problem with some products on Amazon. I can't attempt to evaluate each of these sellers here, that would require purchasing something from each and every one of them, so the best I can do is simply include this heads-up in my review so that others are made aware.

The bottom line for me is this - these Glad trash bags are a great product and we use them regularly. Once they become competitively priced on Amazon, I'll be delighted to order them here. Unfortunately, that is not yet the case! I cannot recommend any of the sellers above since they are not competitive with local pricing, and the 2-stars rating is intended to simply draw attention to this large pricing discrepancy and make potential purchasers aware of it.
on July 20, 2012
Being disabled, I try to get as many items delivered as possible- so I was 'glad' to find these, especially with the drawstrings. I like to be stocked up for a few months at a time so I don't have to either order or shop as often. I also like brand names for trash bags, to minimize 'trails' when taking stuff out to the dumpster.

See 1 answered question