Customer Discussions > Stone Temple Pilots forum

Glad I'm not the only one who Didn't care for the new album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2010 7:19:57 PM PDT
J. S. says:
review pretty much says it all. this is STP tamed down.

http://spectrumculture.com/2010/05/stone-temple-pilots-stone-temple-pilots.html

Posted on May 28, 2010 2:07:48 AM PDT
MrSavoie2U says:
Compared to Core or Purple sure, but so was Tiny Music. Doesn't mean it wasn't a great cd, just as this one is. This cd has its fair share of rock and is actually pretty well paced.

Posted on May 31, 2010 5:09:38 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:
That's cool if you don't like it, but there are plenty of people who do.

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 10:52:35 AM PDT
P. McGrath says:
OK - I'm in my mid-40's and, geez, I've mellowed (sorry). Core and Purple are now only rarely in my rotation and I'm looking for solid rock grooves, hooks and melodies. This new CD is currently rocking my world. I'm totally into it. Screw Core. That groove is 18 years old and getting stale.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 4, 2010 12:39:49 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:
Right on P McGrath! Glad to see not everyone still lives in the past.

Posted on Jun 23, 2010 2:34:47 AM PDT
I agree with P. McGrath...though I still enjoy Core and Purple, this is STP now, and the new album is definitely one of their best. A great comeback that is in heavy rotation in the car. We can't keep comparing one album to another, because all good bands evolve and offer something new through the years.

Posted on Jun 27, 2010 8:14:41 PM PDT
brandon9271 says:
I've only heard the first few songs and so far I'm not impressed.. It MAY grow on my like Tiny Music did.. but I'm not really feeling it. So Far I actually think "Army of Anyone" was infinitely better than this! Maybe its because Weiland isn't on drugs anymore. I know, RHCP drifted into suckville after they got sober!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2010 6:01:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2010 6:10:30 AM PDT
K. G. Rhoads says:
I'm sorry that you aren't a fan of the new STP album. Maybe it just needs a second listen. Sure, every fan loves Core and Purple, but would you really want every STP song from now on to sound exactly the same as those 90s albums? Some musicians and fans get stuck in an uncreative bubble and never get out. The last thing the world wants is another band like Nickelback or a nickelback fan. Musicians and fans often forget to stop for second and start thinking (and listening) outside the box. Because once you do, you'll find out just how much you were missing out on.

Stone Temple Pilots never wanted to get stale so they kept evolving and pushing forward with their sound. Look at how different Core and Purple are from No. 4 and Shangri-La-Dee-Da. Although most people criticize the last two albums I mentioned, they are probably two of most musically ambitious and creative journeys the bad has ever been a part of. If you don't believe me, keep your mind open and take another listen.

In my opinion, the newest album isn't quite as creative as the last two, but it is very different and very well done. As another fan mentioned above, the hooks and classic grooves alone are well worth the price of admission. Like them or hate them, it took a lot of guts and even a little genius to finally go from grunge to glam and classic rock. I wouldn't want the next STP album to sound EXACTLY like this one, but I personally dig the new "old school rock" sound on this album. I hope STP continues to push on with even more influences and new sounds in the future.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 9:01:54 AM PDT
brandon9271 says:
I wouldn't want every STP album to sound the same but Its not like their Led Zeppelin/Doors/David Bowie/grunge rock amalgam was getting old.. at least not to me or most STP fans I know. STP is a band who's musical inspirations are timeless. When I hear STP I don't think of 90s rock. Sure Core was grunge but STP hasn't been a grunge band in a long time. This album is just too much of a departure for me. They're all talented guys and as far as musicianship its top notch as always but this album has drifted into an area I'm not really comfortable with. I little too Pop rock for me. 'Between the Lines' and 'Hazy Daze' are good songs.. The rest is mediocre and songs like 'Cinnamon' and 'First Kiss On Mars' are so sappy they give me a toothache. I'll say it again, Army of Anyone blows this album AWAY! Hell, AoA is some of the Deleo brother's best work, in my opinion and I would suggest it to any STP fan.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 10:09:49 AM PDT
NikNak says:
newer fans of stp might like this album and the pop rock genre but if you've been a hardcore fan of theirs from the get-go you cannot seriously like this album...seriously. i'm not even knocking the softer side of rock, i also love the Army of Anyone album and overall it was a fairly mellow album. true stp fans do NOT waste your money or time on this one, sad but true.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 12:23:00 PM PDT
S. Joiner says:
New fans of STP might like this album? No...any true fan will like this album. It might not go down as their best - but one thing's for sure - it's a solid rock album.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 12:04:13 AM PST
Lycanthropy says:
Not sure on the drugs angle, but I have to agree the preview clips just don't sell me. Weiland's vocals are limper than the efforts of the "Army of Anyone" collab, and the music is watered down too. I liked Weiland in Velvet Revolver, but I miss the rougher sound STP maintained back in the day. I mean, really, none of the songs on this self-titled effort have a "Lady Picture Show" nostalgia, or any of the edge, or artistic merit of Tiny Music. In fact, upon listening to this 2010 rendition of a band I used to love, I think I'll just go back in time and buy Tiny Music instead of this album.

I grew up listening to grunge and still like a little more rock in my rock albums; this effort is teetering towards easy listening at times. Blah.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2012 6:13:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2012 6:15:04 PM PDT
I 100% disagree with you NikNak. I been listening to STP since the beginning. And I love every STP album. My least favorite of theirs would have to be Shangri-la La Dee Da. And that is still a great record too! Granted this new cd is a lot less heavy than old STP. But it is still a solid rock record and an interesting new direction.
I can't wait for their next one. I do admit I am hoping it is a little harder edged, but if they stick with the same groove, so be it. It is still great, and I'm 100% on for the ride. And this is from a "old" STP fan. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Stone Temple Pilots forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  May 27, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Stone Temple Pilots
Stone Temple Pilots by Stone Temple Pilots (Audio CD - 2010)
3.8 out of 5 stars   (177)