5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down...
Published on January 26, 2011 by Alicia

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but difficult to read
I found the plot an characters in this story brilliant, very good pace and always something exciting happening. Also the way Rae talks through the story can be quite comical at times, and it was refreshing to have a strong female character, rather than the weak willed characters that become frustrating after a while.
My only problem was that there were quite a few...
Published on April 13, 2011 by Katsa Grace

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but difficult to read, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Glamour: Dystopian Romance (Rae Wilder Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My only problem was that there were quite a few typos, and parts of the story that didn't read very clearly. I especially found this in fight scenes where it became quite difficult to understand at times and I had to re read a few sections to fully get what was going on.
Definitely give this book a go though!

3.0 out of 5 stars Light Read, no depth., March 21, 2011
When I first started reading this book, I kept having to go back and reread paragraphs as I just wasn't able to follow along. The book is pretty fast paced, which might explain my inability to keep up in the beginning.
Also, there could be some explanations as the author bypasses alot of key points in the book that make it hard to follow. Its not very indepth into character or key plots, its very much a light read.
That being said however I found the book entertaining and totally want to strangle Rae, the main character; she is pretty wishy washy when it comes to men. Rae has trouble adjusting which I get, but sometimes her problems are just extreme.

I will say, that since this seems to be a trilogy, the next books could provide more depth into the characters and key plots. I am willing to read them to find out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down..., January 26, 2011
I really enjoyed this book! I didn't feel like the writing was stiff at all and I must have read the "cleaned up" version b/c I only noticed a couple grammatical/spelling errors. The day did seem very long, but Rae gets up a few hours before the sun comes up & when you start your day that early it does seem never-ending. Pile on everything Rae goes through and you do have a recipe for the worlds worst day! If you like books about creatures that only exist in the moments of time that can't be seen, then give this book a chance. My only complaint is that I didn't realize it was book 1 of a series, so when I got to the end I was a little irritated that I will have to wait for the next book to come out. It seems I'm not a very patient person.

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs a rewrite and intense editing, April 21, 2011
Per popular demand...fair warning: A few Spoilers ahead.

This book is set in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity has been clustered inside walled cities to guard against demons (vampires, witches, fairies, etc). Rae is a girl training to become a Cleric until one day she discovers she is a fairy. So, starts this book. The entire storyline takes place in 2 days but, oh boy! does a lot happen in 2 days. Rae is thrust into a war between 2 fairy factions, 2 love interests (the fairy named Breandan and the vampire named Tomas) and so on...

I found the idea of the story interesting. This book does have some potential IF some very big issues are addressed.

Grammar: If there was ever a book in need of an edit, this is the one. The grammatical errors, missing words, wrong words (at one point the author writes `right' when it should have been `wrong'), etc. made reading the book so distracting and frustrating that I could barely concentrate on the plot. I don't think I went 2 pages without encountering a mistake.

Character development: Characters are largely undeveloped and have no depth, even the main ones. For example, we get very little in terms of interaction between Rae and her best friend Alex, so the events of the end did not have any effect on me whatsoever. We didn't get to care about Alex at all. We learned little about her, and only through Rae's narration. Basically, that is the problem, we learned everything from the author telling us than from the character development.

Character interaction: I will make allowances for Rae's sudden trusting happy lovey dovey relationship with Breandan but, not with Tomas. We get no frame of reference, rhyme or reason as to why Rae is interacting with the vampire Tomas the way she is. From their first encounter to the second, there is a world of difference. I mean, talk about jumping the gun!

Basically, this is a story with potential if the author decides to review it and expand on the book, fix the errors and get a good editor. Also, am I missing a chapter between 9 and 10? :/ That was a BIG jump in events.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh awesome, I'm a fairy!, September 12, 2011
Oh my gosh, this is the totally awesome story of how I found out I was a demon (well, actually a beautiful fairy) with super-cool powers who is actually the key to the future of fairies and maybe the world! I was in school to learn how to fight demons, but fortunately I didn't pay much attention, so everybody I meet in the fairy world has to spend tons of time explaining fairy powers and society to me. And I get my very own fairy-boy! We're like, fated, to be together . . . at least until I get my vampire-boy! Now that I'm a fairy, I'll do whatever I want! I'll sneak vampires into my dorm room despite the fact that they eat humans and I totally live with a bunch of humans! I'll make out with my fairy-boy and then I'll make out with my vampire-boy. There's a whole fairy society and stuff, but that doesn't matter, because I make my own rules! Rules are for losers who aren't very important fairies.

Did I mention that I'm beautiful and I have tons of powers that nobody else has and I am in love with a fairy AND a vampire? In case you didn't get it, I'll refer to my fairy-boy and my vampire-boy a few more times. Check out the sequels where I'm sure to break some more rules, uncover more unprecedented powers that only I have, and be with two guys while I try to figure out which one of them I really want - the fairy-boy I have an inexplicable, instant, and powerful bond with or the vampire-boy I have an inexplicable, instant, and powerful bond with!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poorly executed, May 22, 2011
This story had a really good, if somewhat overdone, premise: A young woman, Rae, raised in a world destroyed by a war with demons (fairies, weres, vampires, and witches) and taught to hate said demons, who suddenly learn that she is herself a demon (fairy). She then has to hide what she is from her human community, while being quickly pulled into the intrigues of demons. As with many such books, her newly revealed past makes her integral to the future of the world and she's drawn between two love interests, one "good" and one "bad."

Unfortunately, the book just isn't well written. There are many grammatical errors (tense, punctuation, etc) that continuously pulled me out of the story. Too often I had to stop and re-read a sentence or paragraph to understand what was happening. I also felt that the pacing of the story was uneven. The first half of the book was one day - and so much occurred to Rae that it was hard accept, even for a fantasy novel. And though the author explains Rae's background and motivations, in the end I just couldn't understand the choices she made. The character and her actions just never seemed to fully come together.

I had hopes for this story, but don't anticipate reading any further books in this series.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Feelings, May 17, 2011
Penelope is a decent writer with a good writing style. I only wish I didn't have so many gripes about this book (not including the ridiculous spelling and grammatical errors).

My first and biggest issues is that I couldn't understand or relate to how unstable the main character is - so much so, half the time I wanted to reach into my Kindle and slap her. And not just her, but all the people in the book. They all seem to be extremely emotional and immature (with extremely contradicting personalities - maybe they have MPD?).

I know this is fantasy, but even fantasy needs some amount of logic. Long lived creatures like the fairies wouldn't be so manic depressive. Age is supposed to bring wisdom and tolerance - the ability to "pick your battles" - and yet these people are running around like children... it's like Lord of the Flies, the fantasy/apocalyptic edition.

I also wish that the author didn't try to pack all the action into a two day span. Many of the things that happen would be more "believable" if she spread it out and created some sort of build up. The relationships that are formed within two days aren't even close to being realistic - especially when their lifetimes span hundreds of years.

Finally, there are some unexplainables and loose ends that should have been tended to before the book ended... for example - Rae's age/childhood/family situation.

I would still recommend this book for mindless entertainment, but simply caution that if you're a tad critical like me you may find yourself mentally editing and rewriting parts while you read. It's not terrible, it's not great... it just IS. If someone offered me the next book in the series, I'd probably read that, too. Would I seek it out because I just HAD to know what happens next? Not a chance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great YA, May 15, 2012
I thought this book was great and read it in 2 days. I couldn't seem to put it down.
Grammar errors? Yes, some. Does the grammar errors interrupt the story? No.

Supernatural, magics, fairies & vampires & demons....

Rae, the main character, can be very comical at times! The story is told from her confused point-of-view. She lives in one of the human schools (a post-apocalyptic world) but often jumps the wall into the demon territory, which include fairies, were-folk, and vampires. In one day everything changes and Rae tries to find out who she really is and if she is a normal human being.
There is a very interesting love triangle and decisions to be made.

Warning... this is part of a series...
1. Glamour
2. Compel
3. Enchant

One young adult(Penelope Fletcher) writing about another young adult(Rae Wilder)= Believable! 13+

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story Needs an Editor, February 27, 2012
Shayne (Odessa, TX) - See all my reviews
The storyline for this book was fantastic. Great view of what it would be like if the Fae (demons) were to come out into the open. Very post apocalyptic view which is exactly how I would imagine it to end up! The only problem is that she definitely NEEDS an editor, or at the very least a proof reader! There are a tremendous amount of grammatical errors, as well as doubled up words, sentences that are started then restarted, as well as missing words, or all together incorrect words. All-in-all a GREAT read though, and since it is FREE well worth the price!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, February 18, 2012
I was transported to another world and didn't want to leave. The author created really interesting characters and a great story line. The second book is a worthy sequel.