5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down...
I really enjoyed this book! I didn't feel like the writing was stiff at all and I must have read the "cleaned up" version b/c I only noticed a couple grammatical/spelling errors. The day did seem very long, but Rae gets up a few hours before the sun comes up & when you start your day that early it does seem never-ending. Pile on everything Rae goes through and you do have...
Published on January 26, 2011 by Alicia

3.0 out of 5 stars Great story, but difficult to read
I found the plot an characters in this story brilliant, very good pace and always something exciting happening. Also the way Rae talks through the story can be quite comical at times, and it was refreshing to have a strong female character, rather than the weak willed characters that become frustrating after a while.
My only problem was that there were quite a few...
Published on April 13, 2011 by Katsa Grace

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but the poor editing bothered me, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Glamour: Dystopian Romance (Rae Wilder Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really did enjoy Demon Girl, especially since I didn't have to pay to read it. It definitely got me interested enough to buy and read Demon Day and I've got Demon Dark in my Kindle reading list now too. I will likely buy Demon Boy when it is released as well (hint, hint author and Amazon--finish it and then get it on the site for pre-sale!).
The one thing that really bothered me was the lack of good editing. There were lots of typos/grammatical errors/misspellings--and I'm not including the differences between UK English and American English.
To Penelope Fletcher: if you want some one else to proof your stuff, I'd be happy to help...these errors really distract from your beautiful stories!

2.0 out of 5 stars I had to force myself to finish it..., December 2, 2011
I picked this up as an Amazon freebie. The cover art caught my attention so I figured "why not?". I really wanted to like this book but it was a no go for me. I won't be reading the next book in the series, that's for sure. I ended up having to take a break from this book to read another book. I pretty much had to force myself to return and finish it. The story was kind of disjointed and not very fluid. I really wanted to like the main character Rae...but this just felt like this another "vamp vs were" love story with a weak, unknowing woman. But instead it was a vampire vs. a fairy. It was a half hearted love story at best. Breandan (whom she is mated to) and Tomas (whom she equally cares for) both get the short end of the stick. Neither really wins the girl. I didn't feel like Rae was really into either guy, it seemed kind of forced and lacking. Actually, the whole story seemed forced. Rae learning that she is a fairy, finding out about the two tribes of fairies, the rules of fairy life and fairy politics...blah, blah, blah. Good rebel fairies versus evil Devlin and his followers. To top it off, the whole all demons vs humans angle didn't really grab me. I mean, I think the general idea of the story was good, but there was a lot of room for improvement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Read but Too Familiar, September 27, 2011
I immediately felt the "twilight" feel of this novel, almost turning me off to reading it. I stuck it out however and it was decent though I must say I found the heroine Rae annoying as hell. I thought the story was plausible and believable for the fantasy it represented. It was nice to see fairies represented as something other than the "goody-goody" for a change. I doubt I would pick up another but only because of the age demographic its obviously aimed for.

3.0 out of 5 stars great story- not so great editing., August 8, 2011
I fell in love with Rae and her world almost immediately. The only thing that distracted me, as others have pointed out, is the atrocious amount of typos I stumbled upon. They really took away from the novel, honestly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bi-polar, July 26, 2011
I perhaps could have finished the book four hours earlier than I did, had I not spent so much bloody time rewriting it in my head. There are so many orphaned plot lines it leaves one's head reeling, and there really, truly, does not have to be jam packed action every other two sentences, it's highly unsettling and distracting. The love triangle thing is so overdone, can we please move now, please? The author would probably have done better to have had one love interest either "good" or "bad" or perhaps a combination of the two, maybe a good guy with a slightly darker edge. Then there's the host of supporting characters that never get fleshed out with actual personalities but rather serve to advance the plot points, that also never get fleshed out. This book is chock full of potential that fizzles. The plot was just too big and was hard to follow. I was going to read the second installment because the author has a rather lithe imagination and I had hopes that the plot would straighten out and calm, but the more I think on it the love triangle thing is too irritating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative!, June 12, 2011
The one thing I like about this book, above all the others, is the world in which it takes place. I think it is sooo interesting to combine these fantasy/dystopian/post-apocalyptic elements the way Fletcher did. This world is a fascinating place to be in.

What made it hard to get into this book was that there was a LOT of British slang, and I'm no Brit. I had a hard time understanding what the characters were saying, even with the benefit of context. And ANOTHER LOVE TRIANGLE?? REALLY?? I wish someone would ban those. So tired.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ends too abruptly, March 16, 2011
I am not sure if this is the first in a series or an intermediate one; however whichever it is it could do with a prologue to explain a few things, for example what was the "Rupture" which seemed to cause the existence of demons. What had Rae, the heroine and demon girl of the title been doing for the last 200 years that she seemed to have no memory of. The other thing I did not like was the ending where the book ended literally in mid chase although I accept that authors need to leave events so that a sequel can be written and I know that there is a short extract from the next book included I believe that it would have been better if it had been "topped and tailed" so that reading the series out of sequence would be easier.
OK criticism done. I liked the book and thought that the world created within was remarkably well constructed and had a believable feel to it most of the characters including some minor ones were well described and there was a sense of tension throughout the book. This is probably aimed at the teen market and I am well out of that range but I still enjoyed it and look forward to the next chapter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Selfish and Frivilous Heroin, April 21, 2011
I liked the story as a whole. It was very hard to follow though. The author needs to take some more writing classes in my opinion. I can't pinpoint why it is so hard to understand what is going on half the time. It might have to do with the fact that we are in the main characters "head" so much. Speaking of "Rea", I have never read a book with a more selfish, immature, rude heroin in my life. She seems to think the world revolves around her. She never cares about anyones feelings but her own. She does what she wants, yells at who she wants and tramples whoevers feelings she wants. I DO NOT like her one bit. She has almost no redeeming qualities.

2.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't even finish., December 31, 2012
Ok. So I've seen this book for a while now and I couldn't decide whether I wanted to read it or not. Now I wish I went with the latter choice. I don't think I made it past five chapters before giving up. The main character is completely stupid. Why go running in the forest you know has demons in it and then when you meet the demon what do you do? Make out with him. Yea so believable. Not to much the writer writes like she has adhd. I read a review where the girl said she had to re-read paragraphs to really get what was going on. I had to re-read pages. It was too much. Not even worth the free price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a try, October 6, 2012
As I started reading, I was really sucked into the world and totally wrapped up in the setting. Unfortunately the story didn't really reach its potential for me. The main character, Rae, seemed interesting in the beginning, but as the story progressed I found her less so and at times she was difficult to care about. She didn't have much depth, but then I didn't feel any of the characters were well developed. I was also disappointed that there was a love triangle, particularly as there was no emotional buildup within those relationships; Rae just suddenly had feelings for the two. The story shot along at great speed, at times uncomfortably and awkwardly so, and at the expense of plot, character and relationship depth and growth. Having said that, it was still an interesting story, and there were parts I really loved. I would certainly recommend it to try for free.

‹ Previous | 1 2 337 | Next ›