5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME!!!
Published on November 30, 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what's portrayed on the cover
My almost-four year old picked this out at the library. The cover looks innocent, showing two goldfish and a dragonfly. I didn't think this was an appropriate book for him - the father goes underground, their home is flooded with people escaping the country, then they themselves must leave their home and spend time in a refugee camp. When they return home, their house...
Published on February 14, 2007 by Boiler Babe

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME!!!, November 30, 2006
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
This Book, Gleam and Glow, by Ebe Bunting is an awsome book, the main character who tells the story is a young boy named victor, his father has to go to the underground to fight in a war. Victor, his sister Marina, and there mama have to leave soon to, so they can cross the border before they get attacked!!! One day a man comes with some fish, that he can't carry any more, mama finally agrees to take the fish from him, and Marina has already named them, Gleam, and Glow, but they agree that when they leave in three days, that they cannot take the fish with them. Before the family leaves, they slip the fish into there backyard pond, and hope they will survive. They start there journey to the border, when they get there they will be safe.

Will they see there dad?

Is there dad alive?

Did Gleam And Glow make it?

Did the house survive,

and most important,

did the family make it

READ THIS BOOK TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS, I would recomend it to ANYONE, my teacher read it to us, and I am in 6th grade, and I still thought is was awsome!!!!! READ READ READ!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring., January 6, 2012
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
I'm in awe. Bunting based her story on the true account of the Malkoc family, who fled the Jezero village during the Bosnian war.

Two little girls are given two gold fish, Gleam and Glow, to care for from a refugee who fled the village days before them. Before they leave to seek safety, the oldest girl places Gleam and Glow in the pond. After many months of war, the family returns to their village. Everything has been destroyed my the bombs...everything except the pond thriving with goldfish.

This story is heartbreaking and inspiring. I'll admit that it brought tears my eyes. The illustrations are not typical of a book depicting war. The illustrations are beautiful, warm, hopeful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Story of Difficulty & Survival, July 3, 2010
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
This is one of our favorite Eve Bunting stories. She is an incredible writer and touches upon so many different subjects - all of them heartwarming and real. As one reviewer wrote, some of her books are more appropriate for older children (of about 6 - 8 years old, I'd say). Some of the content speaks to hardship and may be difficult for the younger ones to understand. Most of her books (like the story of the Christmas tree in the forest) are a must read for all ages. We have thoroughly enjoyed all of her stories and this is definitely one of our favorites. Many of her stories are so beautifully written that by the end, my voice is shaky as I hold back tears (and my son always wipes them away) - especially this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture book for many topics, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
I bought this book to read with my fifth grade students as we're studying theme. It's a touching story of a family that stays hopeful, as well as determination and love. This book is great for literal and inferential comprehension, a thematic unit on conflict, and studying cause/effect, characters, theme and settings. I would recommend it for grades 3 - 6.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story! I use it to teach theme!, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Kindle Edition)
My students enjoy the art work, history, and lesson. Great for many age groups. I've read it to 6th and 8th graders.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, September 18, 2013
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
It is a beautiful story about hope. It gives children with no idea about war the opportunity to be sympatheic to those who have had to go through it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching story!, July 29, 2013
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
I am a 5th grade teacher and read this book when we were discussing theme in reading class (hope during war theme obviously). There were several "wet eyes" in the classroom when I finished reading (including mine). The students really responded to the story, especially since the story's main characters are children. Also, the hope and encouragement that the story gives (that life goes on after war) at the end is what the students really responded to. Extremely touching literature...

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad but a great ending, June 11, 2013
Rhonda Garcia (Castro Valley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Paperback)
The fact that this is a true story is wonderful. There is tragedy in the beginning of the story based on historical content. The illustrations help set a mood. The end of the story helps us see that something good can come from adversity. Also, I enjoyed seeing the family who originally owned the fish do what was best for their entire village/town. Unselfishness, community mindedness, caring to do what is right all came through in the story that is based on war. There are no details of the war so that young children from 1st grade through 4th grade could enjoy this book without knowing all the particulars of war. Excellent book.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful story, March 19, 2013
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Hardcover)
Eve Bunting is a never fail! The book is beautifully written and illustrated. My students liked the book as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Gleam and Glow, October 8, 2012
This review is from: Gleam and Glow (Hardcover)
This book was a wonderful book to use as a supplement to a unit about war-Bosnia. It provides a unique, uplifting view through the eyes of a child in the midst of war.

Gleam and Glow
Gleam and Glow by Eve Bunting (Paperback - August 1, 2005)
$7.00