Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Gleason's Gym Total Body Boxing Workout for Women: A 4-Week Head-to-Toe Makeover
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 31, 2007
Being a Personal Trainer, I enjoy reading all the fitness books that hit the market. Most of them have gimmicky workouts and strict eating regimens that are almost impossible to maintain long enough to see good results. Admittedly, I thought this book would be the same. Boxing for women? Surely some marketing genius was riding the coattails of a blockbuster movie, but what the heck... I am a trainer... it is what I do.

World-renowned trainer Hector Roca and owner of Gleason's Gym (an icon in the world of boxing), Bruce Silverglade, have published boxing secrets for women in The Gleason's Gym Total Body Boxing Workout for Women. This book outlines a step-by-step program that promises to get any woman into knockout shape in just four weeks.

Four weeks? Okay, so everyone knows that boxing is a dynamic exercise program in and of itself, but four weeks? I had to put it to the test. I read the book, looked over the drawings that I found particularly appealing to the female eye, learned the moves and got started, but I was mystified. Where was the strict eating plan? I searched the book cover to cover to find that the eating plan for a boxer was just using common sense, and that the best food for boxers was beans and rice! My vegetarian self was overjoyed! I can eat my carbs and get lean too? I was eager to put this program to the test!

Using unique combinations of muscle groups and both aerobic and weight training movements, this program works out the entire body at one time! Very effective and time saving, this program won't send you to the poor house either; all you are going to need is a jump rope and the motivation to get started (look at Hillary Swank's arms in Million Dollar Baby). Hector Roca takes you from how to make a fist all the way to awesome combinations. The most difficult part for me was getting reaquainted with my jump rope. Boxers jump rope because it helps with balance, speed, agility and it burns fat like nothing else!

So here I sit 4 weeks after starting the program. Does it work? Well, it worked for me. I am down 8 lbs. and 6 inches. If you need to switch up to a more exciting workout program that won't leave you starving but give you results, I highly recommend $2.00 jump rope, a bean burrito and this book.
11 comment| 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2008
I've been punching a heavy bag off and on for couple of years now and I knew just really basics on how to hit the bag and other things of that nature. Well I haven't been doing much at all lately and getting a little out of shape....So the wife and I decided that we would like to get back into our excercise routine. I went back to boxing, and she was jealous because my workout looked fun and hers was repetitive. She asked to be shown how to hit the bag, and I showed her basics, but other than that I didn;t even know. So the next day I went online and looked up reviews on boxing excercise regiments and this book kept coming up...I became intrigued and ordered the book. Well let me tell you just the basics I thought I knew I needed to make adjustments, and this book should be called boxing for dummy's. It teaches you everything from stance, to punching to movements, to lifting to you name it...if it's in boxing this book covers it. So I bought this book for my wife, but I got just as much use out of it as she has been getting.

Highly recommended!
on March 19, 2008
I found this book to be well done. It has a 4-week workout schedule with three workouts per week. I am on the third week and not only are my arm muscles developing, but they glow when I finish a workout and I feel great. This is a full-body workout - you don't stand still and push your arms around. In addition to 3-minute round-style combo punches and defense, you jump rope and do strength exercises (push ups, crunches, flutter kicks). The instruction is well-illustrated and the book does a great job of motivating you. This can be an intense workout, but you'll feel stronger after each one. You really need to put your all into the workout - no half-hearted punches, and no cheating!

I purchased this book to start boxing for fitness, and I love it. These are actual punches and combos you could take to the ring someday, if you wanted. I also purchased a DVD boxing video and I find myself drifting off and going back to this book because it encourages you to practice numerous combos and come up with your own unique workout, not a boring jab, jab, right, hook, repeat 10 times.

Get a pair of gloves (mine are pink), pick up this book, and really work off the pounds.
on June 4, 2007
This book in an absolute need for any woman looking into boxing as a sport or just for fitness. It explains everything simple and clear. No diets!!! Good advice and good workouts any one can do. Now you just have to do it and want to do it.
on February 4, 2012
This is a good book; excellent for a beginner. I would give it 5 stars, honestly, and plan on ordering a hard copy soon. However, the Kindle version I just purchased didn't have a table of contents. Since I paid full-price for the book, and given the reference nature of the book, I wanted to save other people the trouble. There is NO way you could do this book without a TOC. The Prologue is enormous, and the subsequent how-to chapters are exhaustive, which means (by the time the workouts started) I needed to constantly flip back to previous pages to check form/routines. This can't be done without prior, extensive bookmarking and searching, which shouldn't be necessary in a full priced book. Also, the charts with the routines aren't formatted quite right for a normal-sized screen, which left me confused-- was that 4 supposed to be reps, minutes, or intensity level?

Even with a TOC, I think the book would be a hassle. Safe yourself the headache and buy a hard copy.

Fortunately, Amazon refunded my money!
on April 17, 2016
I ordered this book because I stated boxing 7 months ago and I wanted to take my training to a new level. I really like how this book is written and the explanations it gives on not only the techniques but the training. It lists it day by day and makes it easy to follow. The book is easy to read and provides a lot of great information.
on April 9, 2011
I bought this book to supplement the boxing workouts I recently started with my trainer to 'shake up' my exercise routine. The book provided a great explanation for the sport and how I, as a woman, could benefit without getting all bulked up or even having to step in a ring, although I hope to do that at some point. As an almost-62-year-old woman, it feels good to be able to apply the books routines to my workouts and know I'm joining the ranks of so many younger female boxers with ease...well, 'ease' may not be the best word choice since it really kicks my #@%! The quotes and tips throughout are also helpful. I showed my trainer and he loved it, too. I may have to visit Gleason's Gym the next time I'm in NY!
on December 4, 2013
Gleason's is the Mecca of boxing and anything they endorce is worth a look, my daughters are facinated by boxing now and I want to set them off on the right foot. The format is easy to follow and the techniques are well illustrated. To prove it works my girls are doing the drills on their own and both have lost over 5 pounds in the last month.
on May 19, 2009
Explanations and images are very useful. The workout is designed to gradually increase your cardio resistance and your boxing skills. Highly recommendable.
on March 15, 2014
This book was fantastic, it helped guide me to figuring out that boxing was the sport for me and has really helped open door ways to other faucets of boxing and training that have bettered my self, emotionally, physically and spiritually. It's easy to read, easy to follow and the exerts of insight are phenomenal.