Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Glee: The Music, Volume 6
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$13.99

on May 23, 2011
The sixth regular musical collection from the hit TV series "Glee" (there having previously been additionally a few other special collections, either holiday-themed or devoted to specific episodes) is a decent cross-section of the music from episodes 17 to 22 of the second season. This is one of the larger stretches of episodes covered by a single CD among the recent collections, and I'd argue that it shows in some of the omissions. However, one obviously can't include everything (nor should one, since, much like pop culture in general, not everything to show produces is ultimately very good).

Compared to some past collections this year, it doesn't feel like any major voices from the show are significantly underrepresented. It's also worth noting the significant presence of several major guest-stars on this CD: not just Gwyneth Paltrow, who has had songs on two previous volumes, but also Charice, Kristin Chenoweth, and Jonathan Groff. The individual songs on this volume are:

1. "Turning Tables" (originally by Adele) - the sole contribution to this album from returning guest star Paltrow is the first of two Adele covers here (the other of which also features a returning guest star). Paltrow has impressed as a surprisingly good singer in the past, and she does fine here, but she lacks the distinctiveness that has made Adele stand out. Competent.

2. "I Feel Pretty/Unpretty" (a mashup of songs originally from the musical "West Side Story" and TLC) - one of the standouts of the collection, and the season as a whole, is this affecting mashup featuring Lea Michele (Rachel) and Dianna Agron (Quinn). Agron is arguably the weakest female singer in the cast generally, but this is by far the best work that she has ever done. Superb.

3. "As If We Never Said Goodbye" (originally from the musical "Sunset Boulevard") - Chris Colfer (Kurt) delivers another Broadway diva cover, this time easily my favourite of the bunch that he's done. This is an affecting cover of a lesser-known Andrew Lloyd Webber song that stands on its own while also gaining considerable effect from the story context in which it was sung.

4. "Born This Way" (originally by Lady Gaga) - the cast revisits Lady Gaga, with Colfer, Amber Riley (Mercedes) and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina) taking the lead. The cast are fine and well-suited to Gaga (as per last year's "Bad Romance", which also featured all three of them), but I don't care for this song at all in its original.

5. "Dreams" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) - the first of four covers from the Fleetwood Mac episode, featuring guest star Chenoweth and Matthew Morrison (Will), who doesn't get to sing nearly as much as his talent merits. A fine cover.

6. "Songbird" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) - the second cover, this time a solo for Naya Rivera (Santana), who, after a number of impressive major outings, gets a really emotional song to perform, rather than just something high-energy but low on significance. Rivera is exemplary, as usual, and this cover is actually even more minimalist in instrumentation than the original.

7. "Go Your Own Way" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) - Michele puts a feminine twist on this standard, and brings her A-game, as usual. Changing genders is a fairly standard way to vary up a cover, but it's excellent all the same.

8. "Don't Stop" (originally by Fleetwood Mac) - a group number, which has become increasingly rare, featuring Cory Monteith (Finn), Chord Overstreet (Sam), Agron, and Michele. Serviceable, but the least of the Fleetwood Mac songs included in the episode (including Kevin McHale's cover of "Never Going Back Again, which was widely acclaimed but isn't included here).

9. "Rolling in the Deep" (originally by Adele) - the second Adele song, featuring Michele and Jonathan Groff. This is one of the show's more major departures in style, as the song is covered acapella, similar to the cover by John Legend. Distinct and interesting for that reason. And Groff and Michele have strong vocal chemistry.

10. "Isn't She Lovely" (originally by Stevie Wonder) - McHale (Artie) does a fairly straight cover of Wonder's song.

11. "Dancing Queen" (originally by ABBA) - ah, ABBA, you and "Glee" meet at last. Rivera and Riley take the lead on this fun, if, again, fairly standard cover. But I'm a huge fan of both their voices, particularly when they aren't forcing Riley to do a bunch of wholly gratuitous trills and wails...like this next song.

12. "Try A Little Tenderness" (originally by Otis Redding) - this cover embodies everything I like the least about the way the show uses Riley. It's extremely loud and full of runs and wails, and lacking in any tenderness. Riley's talent is best-employed when she's singing lower.

13. "My Man" (most famously covered by Barbra Streisand) - Lea Michele gets to perform her all-time favourite song on the show, and does a fine job.

14. "Pure Imagination" (from "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory") - a superb group number featuring Colfer, Monteith, Ushkowitz, and McHale. One of my favourites of the season.

15. "Bella Notte" (originally from "Lady and the Tramp") - okay cover by Mark Salling (Puck), Overstreet and McHale, that is really more significant in that it represents the first authorization to use a Disney song on the show than anything else (please let this signify their catalogue being available for more extensive use next year).

16-18. "As Long As You're There", "Pretending", and "Light Up The World" - I'll just talk about all these together, as they're three further original songs commissioned specifically for the show. There's some novelty factor to these, but it's wearing out, and the new songs are at most competent pop songs. "Light Up The World" is rather on the twee side, and rather overproduced as well. While it was an interesting experiment, I hope the show will avoid these for future competitions and go back to doing stirring reinterpretations of old standards.
on June 3, 2011
Am I the only person who has noticed that they have left off what is argueably the best song from the finale episode?? The duet of Kurt and Rachel performed in the Gershwin theater of "For Good"? I bought this album almost entirely for that duet, and because I have all other Glee albums, and was completely disapppointed that it was nowhere to be found. And everyone who is raving about it seems to have glazed over what I feel is a completely GLARING OMISSION. I mean am I the only one who watched the show? The other songs were great and I would put the duet of "I feel pretty/Unpretty" right at the top of my list of songs from this album, but come on, I understand they have to leave songs out in order to create an album but we get all the shabby fleetwood mac remixs but not the very well done performance of the Wicked song on the Wicked stage?!? Come on. Look back at Glee volumes 2,3 or 4 and they are really starting to not compare. These last two just dont hold up when looking back at the older compilations.
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sandwiched between the relatively newer upbeat tracks of "Born This Way" and " "Light up the Way" are a flurry of superb hits that I really enjoy! For me, this collection hit its' stride starting with "Dreams" followed by the six classics "Songbird" , "Go On Your Way" , "Don't Stop" , "Rolling in the Deep" , ""Isn't She Lonely" and ending with "Dancing Queen." A great mix of songs that took me back to when the show was near it's peak and worth listening to many times over!
on May 23, 2011
The final CD for Season 2, which is the 6th full album, is nothing short of spectacular from front to back. Maybe one of the best of the entire series, thanks to some HEAVY hitting covers, and epic guest stars from Gwyneth Paltrow as the sultry Holly Holliday, to Kristin Chenoweth as the hilarious booze hound April Rhodes, to Jonathan Groff's triumphant return as Jesse St. James. The entire experience is as 'Gleeful' as we've come to expect. And so without further ado, my humble opinions of Glee: The Music, Volume 6...

1). A+ - Gwyneth Paltrow (Holly Holliday) - Turning Tables - This is probably my absolute favorite of Gwyneth Paltrow's Glee numbers. And has anyone noticed that as she is getting more and more confident that she can, in fact, sing... She's getting AMAZING! I loved Forget You, and Do You Want Touch Me, but this is haunting and heartbreaking, as pretty much anything by the masterful vocals of Adele is... And Gwyneth does it complete and total justice. Amazing!

2). A - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Dianna Agron (Quinn Fabray) - I Feel Pretty/Unpretty - Dianna Agron is noticeably underused, and it's almost understandable with voices like Lea's and Amber's and Chris'... But she has a pure, soft, lovely voice nonetheless, and it's REALLY showcased here. This is yet another BRILLIANT Glee mash-up, and the song is all the more powerful once you've seen the episode it comes from. So beautiful...

3). A+ - Chris Colfer (Kurt) - As If We Never Said Goodbye - I look back and I can't believe that the first time I heard Chris Colfer sing, I did a double take and I was like; "WOW that's high! He sounds weird!" And I guess what I really meant is he sounds different... They say a line in the first season of Glee that says Kurt is doing things that no one else can do... This proves that. To say he KILLS this song is a travesty of an understatement. One of the best vocal performances I've ever heard. He's got a long career ahead of him, possibly as a true Broadway Devo.

4). A++ - Amber Riley (Mercedes), Chris Colfer (Kurt), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen Chang) - Born This Way - Gaga's song of self accept, nay, ANTHEM of self acceptance, was brilliant beforehand. Gaga's not for everyone, but this song is going to be looked back on as the soundtrack of a new era, when acceptance was starting to take hold. I loved Gaga's, and then you add the pipes that these folks have? SMOKIN' HOT VOCALS! Just... wow... One of the few Glee songs that I rank above an A+.

5). A- - Kristin Chenoweth (April Rhodes) and Matthew Morrison (Mr. Shue) - Dreams - I LOVE me some Stevie Nicks... But I was born at the time of Fleetwood Mac's mainstream success, and grew up in the 80's, so it just wasn't my style of music. But Kristin and Matthew ALWAYS sound great together. Great vocal harmonies.

6). A - Naya Rivera (Santana) - Songbird - WHOA does Naya sing this BEAUTIFULLY. And the part of the plotline it goes along with... Just wow... I cried, and she sings and acts this one out flawlessly. She needs more solos! Or at the least more major duets! With Brittany! LOL

7). A - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) - Go Your Own Way - This is an amazing Fleetwood Mac song, and Lea Michele just knocks this one out of the park. Cory's drumming is first rate too.

8). A (And coming VERY close to an A+) - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Chord Overstreet (Sam), Dianna Agron (Quinn), and the Glee Cast - Don't Stop - I have literally had this song on repeat for about 5 plays now. Infectious beat, the same GREAT singing we're used to from Glee, coupled with one of the best Fleetwood Mac songs ever written. Plus, ANYTHING Glee does with the title Don't Stop is destined to come out good right? LOL

9). A+ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Jonathan Groff (Jesse St. James) - Rolling In The Deep - This is a heart thumping powerhouse ballad that Adele just KILLS! (Plus sized sistas rule the world!) And Lea and Jonathan, with the sparks they have from their real life friendship, just burn this one down. Soooo powerful! However, I noticed they did NOT bleep out the curse word in the song, not even on the live broadcast. Interesting. LOL

10). A- - Kevin McHale (Artie) - Isn't She Lovely - This is one of the sweetest songs on the album, and it was certainly a beautiful moment on the show. Kevin sounds amazing even without the music, and this is a great interpretation of a classic. A little odd that this is originally about a baby, but hey... Still great! LOL

11). Amber Riley (Mercedes) and Naya Rivera (Santana) - Dancing Queen - This song has always been one of my favorite songs for years. And WHAT is it about Amber and Naya that makes them go so great together!? Really takes me back, and the ladies sound amazing.

12). A - Amber Riley (Mercedes) - Try A Little Tenderness - Amber Riley can SING!!! She blows this song UP, like she's in church. And I love what her character said about feeling her songs, and singing them with emotions. They certainly are powerful.

13). A - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) - My Man - Lea gets yet another chance to absolutely master big theater number songs. She sings with such power and emotion. If you haven't see her performance of this that was in the show, then by all means, do. I couldn't help but cry. She is one amazing singer, that's for sure. I believe Ryan Murphy called her a once in a generation voice... Indeed!

14). A- - Cory Monteith (Finn), Kevin McHale (Artie), Chris Colfer (Kurt), and Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina Cohen Chang) - Pure Imagination - Not my favorite song, but they sing it with breathtaking beauty. Not to mention, that episode of Glee was only the second to completely unhinge my emotions. SUCH a powerful episode, and this song was used to perfection.

15). B+ - Kevin McHale (Artie), Mark Salling (Puck), Chord Overstreet (Sam) - Bella Notte - Of all the songs on the album, this was my least favorite. It's sung beautifully, I just don't care for the beat or tune of the song. I imagine it's a great romance scene in the season finale.

16). A++ - Charice (Sunshine Corazon) and Vocal Adrenaline - As Long As You're There - This is another of Glee's original songs, and it's one you have to hear to believe. I've been a fan of Charice for a long while now, and this song is easily one of her best. She hits notes that are just inhuman in their power. For someone so little, she can stun anything with ears. LOL!

17). A++ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry) and Cory Monteith (Finn) - Pretending - This is another one of my absolute favorite songs from the show. Not just for this album, but of the entire series. This is a Glee original song, and Lea and Michele make an absolutely amazing duet out of it. So good that it goes beyond A+.

18). A+ - Lea Michele (Rachel Berry), Naya Rivera (Santana), Cory Monteith (Finn), Kevin McHale, and the Glee Cast - Light Up The World - This will probably be the big club thumper song, and it is yet another of this album's original Glee songs. It was written by Max Martin, who has made stars of quite a few people, and hit songs that number too many to count. It has such great energy, and if I weren't handicapped, I'd be up and dancing. *Bust's a move from the waist up!*

So alright folks, that's my $.02 about Glee: The Music, Volume 6. I give the overall album a solid A+. It has only one song that ranks below an A-, but quite a few songs that are graded considerably higher than an A+. VERY few albums can I put in and listen to all the way through without needing to skip songs. But this one is great from the very first song, right to the last. For all you non-Gleeks, give this album a try. Even if you're not a fan of the show, these guys and gals can sing any genre of music and sound great doing it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Gleeks of the world, unite!!!

Thanks so much for your time folks.
Sincerely, R.A. McDowell
1313 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 17, 2011
If you like Glee you will love this disc. If you've heard Glee cast songs before you already know they are ALWAYS good. If you haven't watched Glee or haven't heard a Glee Cast version of a song let me recommend you try some and this album might as well be your introduction. The 18 songs cover a wide array of genres and feature several guest artists besides the core of a dozen very talented young vocalists.

Lea Michele is the star. She is ultra talented and shows her flexibility on this disc. Michele has 2 solos, 3 duets and her voice can be distinguished in at least 2 other tracks. Her cast mate, Naya Rivera does a haunting rendition of "Songbird" backed by a lone piano. If you close your eyes you swear you are in the room with her. Guest stars include Gwyneth Paltrow, Kristin Chenoweth and Filipino pop star Charice.

Many of the songs Glee does are near duplicates of the original artist's rendition. Others are fresh and sometimes very different interpretations of well known numbers. You'll find both kinds on this disc. Glee is known for their song "mash ups," the blending of two or more song and this album has a great one featuring two dynamic female voices, Michele and Dianna Agron.

If you have never heard a Glee song I am almost sure you will be impressed. It is easy to dismiss Glee music as overproduced, trite pop music. Listen closely and you will find an assortment of voices of such quality, diversity and compatibility that has seldom, if ever, been brought together. These voices are expertly blended and caressed by the arrangements and equally talented musicians. Enjoy!
on July 15, 2011
The selections are good, not great. How can the defining song for Kurt and Rachel, "For Good", not be included? On the other hand, every major character has something to "sing" about. Loved Santana's "Songbird." Her best work by far. The season was not a great one. Very sporadic in quality.
on August 5, 2011
I am a fan of Glee, so this CD is just perfect for me. I
listen to the tracks over and over again. The music makes
being stuck on the freeway tolerable. I just close the windows
and turn up the volume. Such wonderful voices!
on June 13, 2011
Glee's CDs have ranged from amazing to just okay. This one is definitely amazing. I love about every song on here and am amazed at the quality of the vocals. Gweneth starts this CD off not with a bang, but a beautiful and heart breaking version of Turning Tables. After this the songs range from fast and fun, to slow and jazzy. My personal favorite is I Feel Pretty/Unpretty mash up that combines the amazing power and ability of Lea Michele's voice with the irresistibly adorable and pleasant voice of Dianna Agron. I was also simply blown out of the water of Lea Michele's My Man, which is practically a spot on duplicate of Barbra Streisand's version from Funny Girl. I am not the biggest Barbra fan, but you cannot deny her amazing vocals and Lea Michele does this song justice. I must say I don't like Amber Riley's version of Try A Little Tenderness. It was just a little to angry for that song, but she still has an amazing voice. Kristin Chenoweth comes back to give another amazing song to the mix with Dreams, a duet with Matthew Morrison. I do not like Born This Way, though I did like it more than the original. If you are a Gaga fan, you will love it. I am not, but I do like several of her songs. This one just seems to fall short. With this CD, I have to say the one song I was excited most about and was disappointed by was Rolling In The Deep by Adele. Lea Michele sounds amazing in it and Jonathan Groff brings a great rock feel to it, but the corus lacks without music and the background choir. If I hadn't heard Adele's, this would probably be amazing, but just isn't quite up to par. The rest of the songs I felt were a great mix and I liked them all. Hope this helps. This is my favorite Glee CD since volume 3.
on October 31, 2011
I bought this CD because it had a few tracks I knew I loved and I figured I would enjoy whatever else was on it because I like most of the Glee songs. It is a good CD and I do like listening to it, not that many upbeat songs though, def more of a 'chill' CD.
on June 16, 2011
I have purchased all of the Glee CDs and love them! I was excited when Volume 6 was released and immediately ordered it. While I still am glad I bought it, the choice of songs is not my favorite. I will continue buying Glee CDs; I'm such a fan of the show! And I really enjoy purchasing them from Amazon; the service is great and delivery is super fast.