5.0 out of 5 stars My bonsai love the plant light
I really didn't expect it to do too well as I planned on using it for emergency revival of my two sickly bonsai. I got it set up in my office (no windows at all) and placed my two sad trees under it.

One is a serissa, surviving its dim place in the house, the other is a small ligustrum which has been dropping leaves over the last 3 weeks. On friday I watered...
Published on February 13, 2006 by 3DVinci

2.0 out of 5 stars Honest comments from a bonsai expert
This "plant light" may be okay for a low grown plant that needs little light, but is definitely not as good as it claimed for most bonsai trees for the following reasons:

1. The 9 watt florescent light is not sufficient for bonsai (as a full grown tree).

2. The sensor only works in regular potting soils but not bonsai soils since bonsai soils...
Published on April 4, 2005 by Bonsai Fan

‹ Previous | 17 8 913 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, poor quality, May 11, 2012
bert schulz (redmond, wa USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I love the idea of this product, it has all the features i wanted. but i have gone through three of these lights in less than five years, and they do not last. in fact, the one i just got (less than a week ago) only worked for one cycle, and now it won't come on, same as the other two. i called the support line, very nice and polite, but they said send it back and we'll replace if under warranty. given it's only been plugged in for three days this time (the other lasted 10 months, the one before about 3 years), i think i'll pass and find another product. too bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bulb dies after less than 6 month, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I purchased two of these plant growers. However, the bulbs of both died less than 6 month. I thought the bulb life should be 10,000 hours. What a disappointment! I searched for the replacement bulb and found it cost around $20 after shipping and handling. Way too much for a simple bulb. After doing some research, I found the Osram Dulux S/E 9W 600 lm (connector type 2G7) to be a perfect replacement. It costs only about $4 each. I hope this is useful to others.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE, April 29, 2012
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I just received the item. Within 45 seconds, it stoppped working and almost went on fire. It started smoking and smelled terrible. Do not buy this item, unless you want your house to burn down.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible product, April 12, 2012
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
Light died after about 2 months. I smelled a burning smell upstairs and came down to my entire first floor smelling like burnt rubber. Worked just ok for the two months it functioned. The "water me" feature never worked. I would not recommend this product to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars not very impressed; bulb burned out within 3 weeks, March 7, 2012
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I received this lamp as a gift, and use it with two small-to-medium bonsai. It's not terrible, but for what it costs I don't know that it's a worthwhile purchase.

Pros:
+ Switches on and off automatically, preventing you from having to monitor a regular lamp. There's a con associated with this, however (see below).

Cons:
- Bulb burned out within 3 weeks of first use. Replacement bulbs are hard to find (I've only found them through Amazon.com or Bonsai Boy of New York), and they're overpriced ($10+ a pop). No idea what the longevity on a replacement bulb will be like... hopefully better.
- No clock! The way the automatic light works is that it comes on when you plug it in, and starts timing the day at that point. So, if you want your light to match sunrise, be ready to get up at the crack of dawn. If you ever need to unplug the lamp, be ready to get up at the crack of down again. The circuitry for a simple clock/timer is so cheap, I can't see how they didn't add this.
- Height adjustment works only for very small plants and bonsai. Anything more than about 10" tall (including the pot) will be too large to fit under the lamp.
- "Needs water" function doesn't work for bonsai. A previous poster cited that bonsai soil drains too quickly for this to be effective; I don't know whether this is an accurate explanation, but I do know that the feature hasn't worked for me.

Overall, I think that $45 for this lamp is overpriced- particularly when the lamp life is such a gamble and replacements are so costly.

4.0 out of 5 stars I own 5 lamps, a couple changes I'd make..., May 3, 2011
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I first purchased a couple of the Glentronics PL-1 intelligent plant lights to help out a couple of my bonsai trees during the winter months indoors. My interest in indoor Bonsai growing grew as well as my collection of indoor trees, so I bought a few more. The ease of use and compact features were perfect for my needs, as I can now place these in some of the darker, smaller areas of the house. The plants seem to get plenty of light top to bottom, but a feature to swivel the "head" of the lamp in relation to it's base would be nice. The built in humidity tray works great and is easily removed from the lamp for cleaning. I found filling it with small to medium bit gravel or stones gave for a nice look and fewer refills of water were necessary. I did have a problem with one lamp. It started behaving strange, turning on and off at all hours, and switching the season setting each day upon start-up. After feeling the power pack I immediatley unplugged it-it was so hot it turned the white outlet plate beneath it light brown. I later tried the bulb out of that lamp in one of the others, and it did the same thing- it was the bulb! The lamp was fairley new, and I could see no visible outside defects.I ordered a new bulb (be prepared to spend a little extra, I could not find it local, and could only find it online- $10 plus $10 S&H)and the lamp functions fine. I continue to use all five and they work excellent. My only other gripe is that the built in timer program starts at the time you plug it in. So if you want to set it for spring and have it turn on at 7 am, you have to be awake and there to plug it in and set it at that time. My power has gone off and back on while I was out, so they reset and started their day when the power came back on. So when I came home from third shift they had been on most of the night. Although a regular ac timer would also stop working, it would not reset back to the beginning, it's 'on' time would only be lengthened by the amount of time the power was out. It only happend to me once, and it was a very small price to pay for healthy, thriving plants. They always draw attention and literaly brighten up the place.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 weeks, already broken, March 6, 2009
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I bought this for the office, brought it in in the box. Unpacked it here, plugged it in and it lit up. Set it to spring. Two weeks later and it is not lighting up at all. tried different sockets for the plug. Nothing. Since it worked for a week I threw the box away so now I can't return it. Lame. Never buying Glentronic again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Light bulbs blow, October 27, 2009
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
I had good luck with these lights for cactus and orchids. However when I was moving I had to move the lights around three times/ Every time the light bulbs would not re-fire. I am not sure what the fix is, except maybe take the bulbs out before un-plugging. otherwise these lights have really helped my plants!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality Product!, August 13, 2010
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
This lamp is a great quality lamp. It is flexible and can be used for a variety of plant sizes. Very easy to use. The base can also hold the extra water that seeps out the bottom of the plant. No more marks on my furniture! Love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great in the office, March 4, 2005
This review is from: Glentronics PL-1 Intelligent Plant Light (Lawn & Patio)
We purchased the Intelligent Plant Light and liked it so much at home, I purchased one for my office. It works great with African Violets, my plants are thriving like never before, thanks for such a great product!

‹ Previous | 17 8 913 | Next ›