5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked this. Such a different book, in a good way.
Published 19 months ago by Michelle's Paranormal Vault

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story line
I can't imagine living my life in a bubble. The residents of New Haven 56 do exactly that. They live a lifestyle straight out of Leave it to Beaver.

These bubbles, or districts of New Haven, are made to keep the monsters away from the Human populace. The Glistenings are forced to wear bands to control them. If they step out of line they are reconditioned to...
Published 18 months ago by Bookish Things

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I really liked this. Such a different book, in a good way., January 14, 2013
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I had forgotten what it was about when I started it, I had read the blurb back when I signed up for the tour, and knew I wanted to read it, and that's all I remembered. Well, its turned out to be an excellent book. It is dystopian but with a thriller and a bit of paranormal vibe to it. It's a great mix, with great suspense. I really was sucked into this strange world that Jill Cooper created.

I won't get into too many details, will keep this spoiler free for you.
The writing is top notch; Jill really spins the tale in an exciting and believable way. I found some of the glistenings actions out right funny, the whole wearing poodle skirts, and watching Leave it to Beaver (and similar shows, think Happy Days, things from the 50's and 60's)

The glistening people (well, when in human form) are still a bit confusing to me, but I understood enough to enjoy it. Seems they are another type of species now, I guess, but used to be human. Anyway, after they had a massive rage, and killed (and eat) humans, the humans fought back, gathered them all up, and "reconditioned" them and stuck them in a bubble city (think Trumen Show movie) they are basically prisoners, but in a Leave it to Beaver world in their bubble. Well things get pretty exciting with some mix of the species, some murder, and more. I wont get into that, but it gets you hooked and wanting to know what happens next.

I did have to get myself adjusted to the different writing style. Its in the 3rd person, and does go from many different characters point of view, but its done well. I was not really sure who the main character was, as it was so even between several.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian worlds with a sci-fi/paranormal twist.

I give this book 4 ˝ stars out of 5. It was really enjoyable for me.

I received this book from the author for my honest review.

See my blog for the book tour, there is a excerpt there too.
Link is in my profile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting, December 27, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story and was able to connect to both the main characters and the secondary characters. Instead of telling the complete background for the story, the author dropped crumbs throughout the plot. It worked because I couldn't stop reading! She really did a good job and it all came together in the end. I especially liked the twists and turns she added and I was surprised by more than one twist. If she writes a sequel I would definitely buy it!
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read, December 26, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Jill pens "Glistening Haven' in an original plot with it's interesting twists and turns. With characters that are well developed and believable, you will find it hard to put down. A nice fast read for all dystopian fans.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author which was provided for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone Seems to Have a Secret in Glistening Haven, December 22, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
In Haven 56 everybody seems to have a secret. Some of the characters you know their secret, while others you don't realize their secret until the end. Two characters that stand out for me are Wendy and Jenna; their parts in the story are what kept me coming back for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glistening Haven - Review, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Dystopian novels are usually a must read for me. Glistening Haven was a new kind of dystopian for me to read. Instead of zombies, or aliens, or a huge war and destruction, Jill Cooper told readers about a new species that is created by humans' own need for perfection. The story is told about so many peoples' lives, but it never got confusing. Cooper knew how to weave everything together and keep readers interested.

I was really surprised by this book. I don't think I expected, from the synopsis, that there were real monsters. I guess I just thought it was figurative. Instead, I learned all about the glistenings and the humans who are suppressing them. It really became a book about who is the real monster here? I wondered over and over about that.

Jenna was an exciting character. She was full of pain and secrets from everyone around her. She also was a dangerous person. Hunting down glistenings seemed to come very easy for her. I liked her some of the times, but other times I hated her. She was in your face and hateful, and she hated the glistenings.

Susan's entire story was crazy. She was a perfect mom and wife, but she was confused. When her son went missing she was frantic to find him. She was being a good mom. I really loved her character. The small parts with her husband Jeff and daughter Marie were amazing, too.

Jake and Wendy's story was heartbreaking but full of bravery. They were a sweet teenage couple just trying to have their baby in a safe place. They never could have realized the full effect that could have on everyone, both human and glistening.

Glistening Haven is a must read. It is fast paced and exciting. There were so many unexpected twists and I hated to put it down once I started reading. Jill Cooper did an excellent job writing a story that is sure to capture readers.

I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must Read for Anyone, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
Wow ,I can not say enough good things about this book. The book starts off by catching your attention and peeking your curiosity all the way through it is so unique and well written the characters and story line pop from the page's giving such a vivid description.As well as taking many twists and turns.It is a must read for anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars A Glistning Story Line, December 7, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven (Paperback)
They're monsters! Or are they?

Glistening Haven has some fantastic twists. One of the best parts of this book is that while it appears pretty early on who the good and bad guys are, you soon find yourself wondering just which side you're routing for.

The story is very well written, one of those books that you find yourself finally looking up at the clock and realizing its much later than you were planning on but you just couldn't put the book down as you need to see what was happening next.

I love Jenna Morgan's character. Reading her parts as she chased after Glistenings reminded me a lot of the kick ass 80's action movie hero. While tough as nails, there's more to her under her skin and you can't help but read on to find out what really makes her tick.

Of course there's the Glistenings, the monsters. But can you really call someone a monster when all they want to do is protect a family? Hell hath no fury like a mother scorned.

A fantastic read, very well devised plot, having me waiting for the sequel.

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, December 4, 2012
Glistening Haven : A Dystopian Thriller by Jill Cooper

3.5 Stars

They are a danger to humans but want to be human so hide themselves amongst us. Jenna is an agent whose job it is to round them up and place them in one of the `Haven's'. The Havens are towns set up to make `Glistenings' feel they are free to live the human lives they desperately seek, and a place to keep their monsters under control.

This was an unusual story and had some quite touching moments. I could totally feel for both The Glistenings and the Humans because they both had good reasons for not liking the way things were.

It was an easy read, steadily paced with a good build up to a dramatic conclusion. Susan's main focus was to save her son and Jenna had secrets of her own to keep, add it all up with the unplanned pregnancy and escapees and all in all you are given an exciting read with a unique plot.

Copy supplied for review

5.0 out of 5 stars PHENOM-ENAL!, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Glistening Haven: A Dystopian Thriller (Kindle Edition)
I won this book in a giveaway!

Holy Metro Batman!

I don't know who or where to start!!!

Okay, Jenna is crazy cool and chases after Glistenings - who by the way are freaky and yet so normal. I kind of want to be one - does that make me wierd? Jenna's story has more twists than a cinnamon churro.

Then there's Wendy. Poor kid just wants to love who she wants to love. I have a love/hate relationship with Romeo and Juliet situations - hate that they happen, but love to watch them play out.

Megan and Susan - both have a jacked up situation and just want to be good moms and keep their tempers in check.

And Jake, Dirk, and Jeff - all three are men who love women they may or may not have in the end.

I can't say too much more about this book and the plot without spoilers. This book has so many twists and layers I literally couldn't put it down even to feed my kids. I made Mac&Cheese for two days. Poor them, yay me!

This is one of those rare times I can't wait for the second book in this series. This author captures so many fundamentals in the plot and creates this world so perfectly, I'm a little wary of every putting on makeup again.

Read it. You'll be glad you did.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Different World, February 2, 2013
This review is from: Glistening Haven (Paperback)
What a different world Glistening Haven was! There were humans and glistenings living together in a controlled world of domes referred to as Havens. Our story begins in Haven 56. After the world survived the great beauty years, (our time), things went amok and the glistenings ate the celebrities of Hollywood. Once they were rounded up, had their wings clipped and their minds reconditioned, they were placed in the domed havens to live out productive lives if not predictable lives. Life for the Glistenings was very controlled and everyone was docile if not happy.

Quite a story.....running along the same old sins humanity has always faced....distinction between races, cultures, obsession with perfection and beauty and government in control. I'm uncertain whether this is a stand alone book or if there will be more to follow, but there is certainly room for the story to be further developed. I read the story and was engrossed in it, you feel the relationships between family members, and I grew to love the the humans and the glistenings. The book is jam packed with evil doers, innocents, heroes and action-adventure.

It was a read that encouraged the reader to think about the world created within the covers and how close real life has mirrored these conditions; how people throughout the ages have lived with these circumstances and how they have fared. I found this book quite interesting and unsettling to say the least--but in a good way. I felt challenged.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›