5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite cheese knife

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Our favourite cheese knife, August 15, 2004
L. F. Hunter (somewhere in the ether....) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
The idea of a cheese knife with "holes" in the blade is to reduce the friction as one slices cheese, thus ensuring consistant slices, without the cheese crumbling or falling apart. This Global knife delivers admirabley to the task. Indeed, the design best fits hard cheeses, and Global have (imho) the best knife for this, period. Our old "stamped" knife bends and is awkward (dangerous) on hard cheeses.

For soft cheeses, this may not be the best knife, probably a knife such as one would use for pate would be best. But, it is the penultimate for soft cheeses, and the best all round cheese knife my wife and I have ever experienced. We never regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of art for all cheese addicts, February 21, 2003
"etxdua" (Stockholm Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This beautiful Global knife comprises all distinctiveness of that great brand, including the price though ...
It is great for semi-hard and hard cheeses (although I would not strongly recommend it for Parmesan cheese, despite that it worked fine for me, since Wustohof parmesan cheese knife is appreciably more efficient for that purpose). Don't pay much attention on those that tell You advices such as that other [less expensive] imitations with similar shape would do the same job (I tried several of those prior I got Global). On the other hand, don't expect this knife to do a good job for soft cheeses.
Global knifes need a tad amount of attention and care, and in return beside superb design and balance (of course, which is an individual thing) are very thankful and durable. So if You are not cheese addict and prepared to give this knife care that it needs, then rather buy something else (cheaper that You can toast and replace after short time) - but of course, You won't know what You are missing ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Global knife, June 18, 2003
L. R. Fisher (Missoula, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This knife is great for hard cheeses, I can cut them without the slices crumbling to pieces. It feels very comfortable and sturdy in my hand like my other Global knife. The blade has a serrated edge so you will not be able to sharpen it easily, but if you only use it for cheese, it should stay sharp for a long time. This is another beautiful Global knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Knife, February 6, 2007
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This is a great knife for hard and soft cheeses. It has a good grip and comfortable design. My wife was skeptic about it but when she used it she immediately told me to order an additional one as a gift for her parents because they are cheese lovers too. Some people complain that the knife will make a second cut after the middle holes pass through but this will not happen if you make a straight cut. Strong knife, it doesn't bend easily, I have even cut through old Parmigianos, still you have to apply some force but it will feel very secure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Global Knives, December 29, 2009
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This is my second purchase of this knife. I got one for myself in the summer and just bought another for my parents for Christmas. I have tried to find a flaw with this knife, but there is none. It cuts hard cheese like asiago and soft like brie or fontina. I use four knife in my kitchen. My chef's, vegetable, cheese and paring knife (ALL GLOBAL). I am definately not a cheese connoisseur but I will say this will be the last cheese knife I might ever need to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blade great, handle not, November 8, 2012
Amazon Customer (Medway, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This was purchased for our main home and was to replace an older cheese knife purchased a couple of decades ago in Cal wine country at a place long forgotten. This knife has an identical blade to the older one which is fundamentally excellent. With its open frame there is minimal resistance to passing the knife through cheese and the serrated edge protects the cutting edge of the blade. This new knife frankly looks far nicer than the older knife which has a simple, standard, plastic handle, generally in line with the blade. Unfortunately though, while having superior aesthetics, it is far less comfortable to hold and the angle and shape of the handle is simply wrong to allow the application of proper leverage. As a consequence this knife has been relegated to the low use vacation home and the older 'ugly handle' knife kept for constant use. In short, the blade is terrific, we've never found anything else even remotely as good and warrants a 5 star, but the handle does it a great disservice and for utility the handle gets a 1 star. Perhaps it is better suited for smaller hands. I strongly consider machining it off and making a simpler but more user friendly handle and turning it into a 5 star item. Add it to the endless list of projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best solution, September 27, 2010
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
Global knives have very thin, stiff blades. They also have comfortable grips that never slip in your hand and give you the proper leverage for each job. Although they are expensive, you will never replace them. This cheese knife is excellent for cutting thin slices from hard and medium cheeses. The cutout blade minimizes friction to that you don't have to repeatedly wet the blade, as you would with a conventional knife. Despite the cutout design, the blade is very stiff. Once you have this knife, you will never have to buy another (disappointing) cheese-slicing gadget. (For soft cheeses, you just need a spreader.)

1.0 out of 5 stars This knife is terrible, February 5, 2014
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
This knife was a Christmas gift to my brother. It was ordered two months ago, and broke about a month into owning it... And he doesn't eat cheese all that often. He's obsessed with Global knives, although I'm not quite sure why... The website requires a serial number from the original packaging (which he doesn't have, it was a gift) in order to replace the product which has a lifetime guarantee. Seeing as I do not have that information, the knife can't be replaced, and I'm pretty pissed this piece of s*** broke so quickly. I will never buy another Global knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Global addition to our kitchen, December 8, 2011
Marc Luoma (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
Like most great products, the Global cheese knife "just works." It's sharp enough to cut even the hardest cheese. The cutouts work great for letting it slide through even semi-soft cheeses, but it never felt flimsy. The handle shape lets you put all the pressure you need on the blade without cramping your hand. It maintains an edge very well and has survived countless dishashing cycles. As with all our Global knives, this one will be in our kitchen for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect cheese knife, October 28, 2011
This review is from: Global GS-10 - 5 1/2 inch, 14cm Cheese Knife (Kitchen)
I already own 8 global knives. We love pairing wines with cheeses and I wanted a good knife for that purpose. I have no regrets with the global cheese knife. It cuts through the cheese effortlessly and feels great in my hand. This kife will be passed on (along with my other globals) to future generations.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›