5.0 out of 5 stars Revamping of the Student Study Bible
Published 21 months ago by M.A. Moreno

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not work with my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet
I have downloaded then tried to use the study bible on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet. It downloaded fine but when I attempt to read the bible, Kindle freezes up and does not function. I returned the GSV Bible to Amazon, then 2 weeks later downloaded the GSV a second time. Same problem. It does not function on a Galaxy Tablet. I've contacted the publisher and they...
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Revamping of the Student Study Bible, October 6, 2012
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
I am constantly recommending study Bibles to fellow believers, and because of that, I am thrilled with this new option. When the original ESV Study Bible came out, I felt that the exhaustive collection of notes was overkill for the general Christian. (I picked one up, but I'm also a theology nut.) Plus, it was pricey and (at least until the Personal Size edition) unwieldy. The Student Study Bible came next, and while I was relieved to see the number of notes pared down to the essentials, I also knew that most adults would feel uncomfortable with its name. Sure, it's not nearly as ludicrous as the Extreme Teen Bible, but it's still sorta embarrassing, and it implies a substandard level of understanding (rather than what it actually entails: a sub-seminary need for understanding).

Recently, I saw this new item, the Global Study Bible, pop up on Amazon and on Crossway's site. My first assumption was that it was merely another watered-down gimmick Bible with some photos and quotes from missionaries--and no accompanying substance. There are certainly plenty of fluff Bibles available, and with the recent release of the Student Study Bible, I was not expecting another edition so soon on that level. Well, upon checking out the GSB, I discovered that it was essentially a rebranding of the SSB with a new set of internationally-themed articles to replace those found in the previous two editions. While that news might turn off some buyers, it had me thrilled. "Global" certainly had a more pleasing connotation than "Student" on a Bible cover, and the study notes were still as superb as ever!

Even better, the Global Study Bible offers dual incentives on the monetary front, allowing you to save a few pennies and perform a charitable act at the same time (as contradictory as that sounds). This volume is less expensive than either its parent or its sibling, which makes it an even more appealing choice for people on a budget or for those who are looking to stuff some stockings this Christmas. Even better, Crossway has decided to make a digital copy of the GSB available for free to someone in need for every purchase. In other words, you're not just buying a Bible for yourself or a loved one: you're buying one for someone across the world as well! And here you thought that you'd never have an opportunity to do mission work!

The ESV Global Study Bible is easily the best option that Crossway has to offer. With notes sufficient for the average Christian (you know, the one who feels that three pages on the various interpretations of Revelation 20 is a bit much), a wallet-friendly price, and a program to help you spread the Word where it's most desperately needed, the GSB is truly a blessing...and a must-buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bible for a great cause, December 27, 2012
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
The Global Study Bible from Crossway is a study Bible that focuses on cultures across the globe and how to apply Biblical themes to an international context. The focus is on global issues such as government, the Church, world religions, social ethics, missions, and evangelism. I am reviewing the hard cover edition.

Basic features include:
* 2011 ESV text
* Black letter
* Introduction and timeline for each book
* References
* Free access to the Online Global Study Bible
* Sewn binding
* 8.6 x 5.6 x 1.75

Cover and Binding
This edition is hard cover, although it is also available in paperback and imitation leather. The hard cover and imitation leather editions have a sewn binding, so they lay flat when opened. I would consider this a large hand-size Bible.

Text and Paper
The font is 7.5 point with a good amount of space between the lines (leading). The font is sharp and consistently dark. The references are much smaller and can be difficult to read. The notes are 6.5 point with the pop-out boxes being around 7 point. The paper is white and very opaque. This helps in making the text readable.

Layout
The text is in a double-column paragraph format. There are the standard ESV headings in the text. They are in italics so they stand out a little without being distracting. The verse numbers are small, but bolder than the text so verses are easy to find. Under the text are textual notes. Under the textual notes are the references. Under the references are the commentary notes, which are also in double-column format.

Book Introductions
Each book of the Bible is introduced with a timeline, author, date, recipients, theme, purpose, key themes, an outline, and a map. Next is a one to two page article that discusses that books global message. Most introductions take around four pages.

Textual Notes and References
There are 80,000 cross references. Rather than placing the references on the side or in the center column, they are located under the text just above the commentary notes. I like this location because it makes it easier to find the reference. The references include verse numbers in bold to make them easy to find. They are keyed to the text with the standard keys - letters for verses and numbers for notes. Textual notes are placed just above the references so they don't mix together making them difficult to see. This format works really well.

Commentary Notes
The commentary notes include the standard Study Bible explanations of verses. There are also pop-out boxes for facts (900 of them) and character profiles (120). The Facts sections include information about words, places, events, and just facts in general. The Profiles sections are short biographies of key Biblical characters. The commentary section also includes charts and maps (120). The charts often include comparisons between people, Old and New Testaments, theological themes, lists, etc. The maps show where events took place, missionary journeys, temples, etc. I don't agree with all of the theological notes, but that is to be expected. I caution all readers with every study Bible with notes, so I'm not just picking on this one.

Articles
There are 14 articles that are of course geared toward the global church. Topics include salvation, the importance of the global Church, reading, understanding, and applying the Bible, the reliability of the Bible, ethics, and more. They were written from authors across the globe and take about 50 pages. Some are theological, but most are more general and applicable to a wide variety of theological viewpoints.

Glossary
The glossary takes 12 pages and primarily covers many types of definitions. Some are factual, such as astrology, BC, and canon, while others are theological such as advocate, atonement, pantheism, and YAHWEH. Some of the definitions include verse references. The glossary covers a good range of words that often have to be explained in conversations. It is a good addition to this Bible.

Concordance
The concordance is 56 pages and is in three columns per page. It has a decent amount of entries. There are 52 entries for "God".

Maps
There are 15 color maps that span 16 pages. They're not as bright and colorful as those from other publishers, but they fit the design of this Bible. They are mostly tans, browns, olive green, and light blue for water. One of the maps has a topographical pop-out. I like the maps a lot, but I'd like to see the addition of an index to maps.

Online Global Study Bible
By buying the ESV Global Study Bible you get free access to the Online Global Study Bible. The online edition gives you the ability to write and manage notes, highlight the text, share your highlights with others, and access resource modules. The Online Global Study Bible alone is worth the price of the Bible. It can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection. To make it even better, for every Online Global Study Bible that is registered, a free copy is given to someone in the world based on the greatest need. THAT alone is worth the price of the Bible.

Conclusion
Crossway is a nonprofit organization with the focus of providing great quality Bibles at great prices. The price and quality of the ESV Global Study Bible is a testament to that mission. There is plenty of great material at a great price. This is a good Bible and a good cause. This Bible is a win/win.

Crossway provided this Bible free for review. I was not required to give a positive review- only an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ESV Translation Study Bible at a Great Price, October 12, 2012
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
I love the ESV, its a great translation of the bible and Crossway has done an outstanding job with the many versions that they have produced of it. The Global ESV Study Bible is the latest version and is really a subset of the ESV Study Bible that was released a few years ago. I have that version and from reviewing the sample pages that are available of the Global Study Bible with my ESV Study Bible I find that I already own most of the material that is in the GSB. The GSB does have new articles that are not in the ESV SB. I can't say I will buy this version of the ESV but I may have if it were available before I purchased the original ESV Study Bible. The original is larger with more articles and longer notes but mostly the same information. It has full color maps and illustrations which the GSB also has but not in the same colors, just one shade of tan. The text size for both are about the same for the paperback versions, I have the hardcover ESV SB and that has a larger font than any of the GSB editions. The ESV SB also has 500 plus more pages and costs more than the GSB. If I had to decide now I would have purchased the paperback ESV GSB for about $12 here on Amazon rather than spend the $30 at the time for the ESV SB. The GSB is about 90% of the ESV SB and less than half the cost, so its a wonderful buy.

Pricing on this seems to have changed as recently from as low as $8.70 to nearly $14. Still about half the cost of the ESV Study Bible.

5.0 out of 5 stars most exciting Bible I've ever owned, November 30, 2012
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Paperback)
This is by far the most excited I've ever been to own a Bible. (Which sounds bad, but trust me, I've been pretty excited by Bibles).
This isn't just the Bible -- this is way deeper and way more in depth. There's no way you can read this and not understand it.

As a Bible major and a future missionary I find this version incredibly valuable. The maps are RIGHT THERE in the pages for you to see as you read. I'm a visual person so this, along with all the dates and charts, was just beyond anything I ever expected.

This version just took the most powerful weapon we have and made it bigger and easier to wield.

If I haven't mentioned it yet, I'm incredibly impressed. And I recommend this more than anything I've ever recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Global Study Bible, January 4, 2013
Amazon Verified Purchase
I have been a big fan of the ESV when it originally came out. This new ESV Global Study Bible is a great addition to the study Bibles put out by Crossway. For what reasons you might ask why this study bible is worth your money?
1. Each book of the Bible is introduced by a Global Message section in which one of the editors draws us into the storyline of the particular book but also to the global message. We get a sense here of larger themes that Christians from every continent can hold onto, understand, and think through. Secondly, this section helps us focus in on the main themes of the book with a witness to God's overarching purposes in the story of redemption.
2. Throughout the study notes, there is small boxes that indicate FACT points that the editor is trying to make that enhance our understanding. Often, these are plot details, cultural customs or key historical events. These fact boxes help the reader narrow in on some important features that we might otherwise miss in the text.
3. There is a whole host of articles in the back of the Bible written by international evangelical scholars such as Ajith Fernando and Harold Netland. These articles range from Biblical Ethics, World Religions, Government, Human Life, Mission and Evangelism and others. The articles are excellent, bringing together keen insights into the global landscape of Christianity with an eye towards God's unfolding story. Of particular note is Fernando's article on Mission and Evangelism in which he a very strong view of evangelism that is tied to the church and its role in proclaiming the gospel.
4. The geographical features incorporated into the biblical books help the read understand a bit of history and culture that was taking place in the centuries that the Bible was written.
5. This sounds like a cosmetic thing but I really liked the compact size of the Bible, the easy reading font and layout of the text and presentation of the writing.

I hope you enjoy the ESV Global Study Bible as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy one and give one ;), December 12, 2013
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
Bought this as a gift. The online tools are great too. The font in the Bible itself is normal, meaning that if you need reading glasses or are a person who usually gets large print, do not get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for a gift, May 28, 2013
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Paperback)
My husband and I bought this Bible to give to a woman at his work. We got her this easy to understand study Bible that can answer her questions. I flipped through the pages before we gave it to her and it was very nice. I prefer a hardcover for durability, but we are poor and this is what we could afford to give. The inside is all that matters anyway. She has said that she LOVES it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great study bible, May 17, 2013
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
Plenty of notes material to go over in a wide variety view points from authors across the world. The binding seems good and I like that it is a hardcover. The text is simple for me to read in a good font size. I have used a zebra highlighter in it and there is very minimal bleed to the other side.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, April 29, 2013
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Paperback)
I love this ESV Bible! A couple days after I received my Bible,I was at one of my Monday study groups. And as our leader was reading his King James Bible I noticed most of the passages were very similar only modern and easy to read/understand. From that point on, I have always encouraged my friends to get one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Study Bible, May 21, 2014
This review is from: ESV Global Study Bible (Hardcover)
This Bible has excellent cross references and good introductions to books of the Bible. It is conservative in expalations of interpritations and dating. There are some places where explanations or cross references are not as deep as I would have desired.

One great advantage is that it comes with online acess to the ESV website, which is an excellent resource. I can get lost in the details of the website. I prefer the Harper Collins Study Bible. If you choose the Harper Collins Study Study Bible, I would sugguest using the Olive Tree app or the Logos Study Bible app as an online suppliment.

God bless you and your study time.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

ESV Global Study Bible
ESV Global Study Bible by ESV Bibles by Crossway (Hardcover - October 31, 2012)
$29.99 $20.61