4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
Published on July 21, 2007 by Mary Jo Sminkey

1.0 out of 5 stars FIRE HAZARD!!!
This unit damn near started a fire in my apartment, due to what I consider VERY poor design.

Published on July 12, 2009 by Mithras

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, July 21, 2007
This review is from: Globe Electric 7732001 6 Outlet Swivel Wall Tap with Surge Protection, White Finish (Tools & Home Improvement)
This was just what I needed to avoid having cords and a giant power strip on the floor, while having enough outlets to plug in my laptop, floor lamp, massage chair, etc. The only negative I have with it is that it is designed to use both top and bottom outlets, with plastic prongs inserting into the top outlet for stability. The stability is good, but my wall switch was on the top outlet so I have to get them re-wired for this outlet strip to work on the switch as I had wanted.

1.0 out of 5 stars FIRE HAZARD!!!, July 12, 2009

This item is designed to be inserted into a TWO PLUG electrical outlet and give you SIX plugs. HOWEVER, there is only ONE 3-prong plug that inserts into the BOTTOM plug of your outlet. (OBVIOUSLY running its six plugs off of ONE from your outlet) THAT is where the poor design came into play!!

As another reviewer stated, this unit, when all six plugs are used, leans out of the wall enough to possibly SHORT OUT. This happened to me in TWO different areas and smoke was coming out of BOTH wall plugs.!!! (I only used FOUR plugs on one adapter, and THREE on the other) Luckily, I was at home and caught it BEFORE a fire started.

I have three other units, from another maker that work so much better. They have TWO 3-prong plugs that use BOTH plugs from my wall outlet, PLUS they have the option of screwing INTO the wall!! BUT, even when I DON'T screw them in, these other adapters remain quite secure. I've used them for over seven years and NEVER had a problem. I just wish I could find them again.

On top of THAT, it is very annoying to have to push this item back into the wall EVERY-SINGLE-DAY.

In closing, the Globe 7732001 Home Appliance Six-Outlet Swivel Surge Tap is, in my opinion, a P.O.S., and in my personal experience, a proven FIRE HAZARD!!
I just wish Amazon would allow a NEGATIVE 20 rating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Side Socket Reviews - NOT FOR THIS GLOBE ITEM, April 21, 2013
UPDATE - To all Globe customers - my review below is NOT for this or any other GLOBE product. Amazon somehow moved my review for a different product here - so complain to Amazon for this mix up - I cannot delete my review for some reason also - so I am adding this update so the Globe people are not hurt by this Amazon mess!

Also see other reviews below like mine for the OTHER item - Side Socket 'As seen on TV' - product which is real junk. Here is the new Amazon link so those folks below who originally reviewed the 'as seen on TV' item can also move their reviews.

Side Socket As Seen On

Either Amazon or the original seller moved the original item to a new location at Amazon - Side Socket - As Seen On TV - I suspect because of all the negative reviews that were listed.

Do an internet search (Google, Bing, Ask, etc.) of Side Socket reviews - Not very positive - beware of all the hidden costs. See why you have to go to the external web site to purchase and not direct from Amazon - Buyer Beware!! Plus they do not list the details of the surge protection model or offer any surge protection insurance to cover your electronics if a surge gets through and damages your gear. Use a name brand product like the Tripp Lite SWIVEL6 Surge Protector sold here - I'm not affiliated with anyone - just an informed shopper - Tripp Lite SWIVEL6 Protector Wallmount

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous product, May 11, 2012
We've had this outlet in our sons nursery for a little over one year. I found out when we moved our house today that one of the prongs had melted the plastic on the back. The outlet was still powered up to a wipe warmer and radio and it never shut off power. Had we not been moving today we may have never discover this until it caused a fire.

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't stay in the outlet, September 25, 2013
Length:: 0:38 Mins

I saw this a couple times from reviewers, but I think this is the worst problem of all about this outlet expander. I pushed it into the outlet and the top prongs DO NOT STAY in the wall. That's ridiculous. I can't press it back into the wall each time I want to use it. It stays connected *enough* for an hour or so. I do not write reviews often because I don't have the time, but this was so bad that I had to write. I even took a video to show how bad!

1.0 out of 5 stars side socket review, July 15, 2013
I am not going to complain about cost. So if you are looking for that here go elsewhere. What I got in the package from China was 2 side sockets but on one side its fixed, as in no swivel. The other side does and mine does not have the surge protector or any green light to show it has power going to it.Plus it is not UL approved either. I would say do not buy this product. Instead buy a good quality multi plug extension of about 3 feet and use that instead. If you want one that plugs into the outlet and then turns 90 degrees sideways. Then shop around for one and then after finding that one maybe buy a spare too. Saves you spending gas money going back to get another one when someone else buys a side socket and doesn't like it either.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice features But...., February 3, 2013
Getting behind furniture was a beast but now it works much easier to access the receptacles and make connections.
No more kinking the electrical cords with this device.

HOWEVER!!!

There is No anchor retaining screw to prevent it from pulling away from the wall. So, I opened it up and drilled my own hole and inserted my own standard screw to make it anchored in place to the wall outlet.

So, if you are just a little mechanically inclined.....no problem and go for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless!, December 20, 2007
Good idea, but useless. As soon as you actually plug anything into it, the device leans forward away from the wall and loses connectivity with the outlet!

1.0 out of 5 stars POOR OUTLET ATTACHMENT, September 16, 2013
NO PHOTOS OF THE BACK OF THIS OUTLET WERE GIVEN OR I NEVER WOULD HAVE ORDERED IT.THIS OUTLET ONLY HAS ONE 3 PRONG ELECTRICAL ATTACHMENT INSTEAD OF TWO.ONLY THE TOP PORTION OF THE OUTLET INSERTS INTO THE ORIGINAL DOUBLE OUTLET.THE BUTTOM THREE PRONGS ARE PLASTIC NOT BRASS,WHICH DO NOT INSERT AND HOLD AS WELL. WHEN USED THIS UNIT HANG OUT AWAY FROM THE WALL AND IN NO TIME THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT IS BROKEN.THIS UNIT MAY WORK FOR SMALL CORDS BUT NOT FOR 16 GUAGE CORDS OR LARGER..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Item to Have Handy, April 6, 2007
I recently ordered 3 of these to have available. One of my daughters just move into a typical apt. in Manhattan with a kitchen the size of a tiny bathroom. Needing outlets, she was thrilled when I sent her one of these. Just the other day I had to have my cable box replaced. The new one needed an outlet where I didn't have any more that could handle a transformer-type plug. I reached for my second device and, presto, all was well. It takes up so little space and can handle multiple transformer plugs which is necessary these days. Even the cable guy was impressed and asked where I purchased it and you have to assume he has seen them all. The price at Amazon is excellent by the way.