Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

83%
17%

on December 9, 2003
Of all the books on Elizabeth I, I believed that this was the book that proves to be most entertaining to read. It may not be the best biography on Elizabeth, that honor probably belonged to Alison Weir's work but written like a novel, this book will take you places where history books rarely does. Here, you learned quite a bit about Elizabeth and her world. You will also learned quite a bit about Elizabeth the person as well. In our modern era, Weir's work and this Mary Lukes' work have withstood the test of time. The difference between the two was the Mary Luke's work may not be as historically accurate as it can be since she explored all aspects of Elizabeth's life, including some of the more legendary incidents. If anyone who watched Elizabeth R on Masterpiece Theater now available on DVD or VHS and wants to get into her life a bit, Mary Luke's book would be a fantastic jumping off place. And believed it or not, you will feel right at home reading this book than a more "scholarly" work. Mary Luke also wrote two more books that dealt with early lives of Elizabeth that may be worth reading as well.
on February 22, 1999
Who doesn't love those period movies with the wonderful costumes and romantic plots? After I saw "Elizabeth", I found this book on a shelf at my mother's house and loved learning about this powerful woman who ruled England when women weren't "allowed" to do much of anything. I happened to rent "Queen Margot" (French language movie w/subtitles) and that helped make the Elizabethan time more vivid. The book was written in a narrative form; not as a history book but as an amazing story. I only put it down to feed my toddlers or sleep (or so it seemed). Ms. Luke held my rapt attention throughout each chapter. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in finding out more about probably the most amazing woman who ever lived.
on April 7, 2014
This is, I am sorry to say, the weakest of Mary M. Luke's Tudor Trilogy. It is choppy, confusing, does not give a good sense of cause-and-effect, and has a lack of dates, which makes it hard to keep track of chronology. Alison Weir's biography was better, if you're looking for popular biography.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2014
One of the best books I've read on the life of Elizabeth I from her coronation until her death. I read it many years ago when it was a Book of the Month Club selection & have reread it several times since. Luke's handling of the material is obviously the result of scholarly research yet the book engages the reader as would a novel. This book fueled an on-going fascination with the Tudor/Elizabethan/Stewart age for me that continues to this day. All the biographies of Catherine of Aragon, Jane Grey & the early years of Elizabeth's life by Luke are equally as well-written & informative. I recommend them for anyone interested in a comprehensive yet very personal look at the lives of these highly-placed & influential women.
on September 7, 2013
I have begun the reading and enjoy, as always, insight into the time of the Protestant revolt in England. Always wish things would have transpired differently but understand the human heart with all its intrigue. I also appreciate the author and her style of writing, Would like to know more about her actually.
on December 26, 2013
Great history that read like a novel. It was very well researched, and so well written that it was hard to put down. Gave very good insights into that period of history.