5.0 out of 5 stars Far Beyond any basic beauty book

Published on June 15, 2006 by C. Henry

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Far Beyond any basic beauty book, January 31, 2005
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
Do not be misled by the cover or title; becuase this is not a girly book. Guys would do well to read it too, even though the complement of "glowing" is seldom given to a man. True, there are home "beauty" remedies, but the book's principle purpose is gender neutral: to inform the reader how physical signs reflect the body's need for nutrients, and how tell the body is being fed, overfed or deprived of these nutrients.

Christina Pirello teaches you how to monitor your body's needs so that you can achieve a healthier life, by explaining what causes factors like brittle nails, irritated eyes, thin hair, varicose vens, zits, warts, excessively dry or oily skin, and cellulite...to name only a few of the symptoms she addresses. She then instructs you on how to modify your diet and recommends home remedies that will not only alleviate physical imperfections, but direct you on a path that will yield a life of improved health.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guideline for holistic health, February 6, 2002
M. Cervi (Leominster, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
I was very impressed with the content of this book. It does a wonderful job of explaining the effects of different foods on the health of the human body, using the energetics derived from Chinese medicine theories. It was clear and concise, and I could actually pinpoint some of my own health issues from a perspective that I had never heard before. Western medicine has far to go.
I have not tried any of the recipes yet, as some of the ingredients are totally foreign to me, or sound unappetizing, but will try them eventually. For now, I will apply the theories to the foods that I am already familiar with. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for natural ways to improve upon their looks and health.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most amazing treasury of life guidelines!, March 24, 2006
Iva Srot (Zagreb, Croatia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
Unlike other Pirello books, this one is far more than just a cookbook. And it is certainly not a mere girlie beauty-tip manual, as the title might suggest. Rather than focusing on the outer effects of beauty products (a common plague of the looks-obsessed Western civilization), this book invites us to take a look at the internal processes of our bodies, the functioning of different organs and the actual causes for many beauty catastrophes. The theoretical part of the book takes us on an intense biology course, with a slightly different angle than we had been accustomed to during our school-years. She explains the functioning of the body, offers tips for achieving balance, as well as guidelines for diagnosing our own health condition.

Great recipes are no news when Pirello is concerned, and these ones really work, as you take the responsibility for your own health and beauty. Great remedy recipes, as well as general life-style guidelines. A book to keep by the bed and get back to it whenever in need or curious to learn more. Even my meat-eating boyfriend enjoys reading it (not to mention eating the tasty dishes that provide him both with health, energy and glow). A clear proof that macrobiotics and whole-foods approach DO work for anybody with an open mind and a courage to explore new possiibilities in the adventure called life!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Recipes are Fabulous!, August 16, 2003
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
In addition to all the wonderful information and insights on health, the recipes are excellent. Even my meat loving family likes almost all of the recipes that I have tried in this book. If you would like to include more veggies in your diet, try some of these recipes. Greens have never tasted so good. I have also found the natural remedies very helpful as well. If you are looking for better health, look in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, November 27, 2004
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
This book was full of excellent information. It was an easy and enjoyable read. The recipes are also great the only downfall is the cost of these recipes but in the end health and beauty are worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much new, June 15, 2006
C. Henry (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
Pirelli does a nice job recycling the standard macrobiotic approach to health (and beauty as a by-product). The complaints about the yin and yang classifications aren't Pirelli's fault--they go back to Georges Ohsawa and his dharma heir, Michio Kushi, who changed the old Taoist classifications to suit their agenda, and possibly simplify explanations. Pirelli's a little looser and more fun than Kushi though--easier reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty recipes!, December 13, 2007
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
This book has a lot of interesting things to think about as far as listening to what your body is telling you, and reminds us that you are what you eat! What I love most about this book is the recipes, though. Mmmmmm! The Mushroom Bread Pudding, Lemon Poppyseed Poundcake, and Crispy Tempeh with Sweet Mustard Sauce (among many others) are must have recipes for anyone who wants to eat well and live healthy while indulging in deliciousness!

3.0 out of 5 stars Just curious where she gets this info?, May 31, 2011
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
I have two other books from Christina Pirello - This Crazy Vegan Life and Cooking the Whole Foods Way. I love them both. Glow, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. The information is just so detailed - for instance - what every little ridge on your finger nail means - or what the wrinkles in your hands mean.... I know Christina Pirello is a master Chinese Medicine - maybe that's where I find my skepticism. I don't know if I buy into that stuff. But, I do like the recipes and I do still buy into the fact that organic whole foods are much healthier than anything you can buy in a bag, box or wrapper.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Glow (Paperback)
Loved all of the information, held my interest, exciting head to toe u get all perspective. Christina sites many studies which i like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glow by Christina Pirello, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Glow (Kindle Edition)
I thought so highly of this book that I purchased another copy in the Kindle edition. It is very helpful in targeting specific symptoms and what part of your body is effected. The elders in my life have always told me to listen to your body as it talks to you. Well, this book tells you what to do in a holistic way when it does.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Glow
Glow by Christina Pirello (Paperback - November 1, 2001)
$16.95 $13.72