Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 20, 2005
This is a great little book! It is written for kids but anyone wanting to learn the constellations would appreciate it. I'm a 62 year old "kid" who has been trying to learn to identify the constellations for years. I was able to identify more with it in one evening than with other books I have that were written for adults. I call it my "Constellations for Dummies". It has the constellation on one page showing a drawing with the stars connected with lines. The opposite page shows the stars in that portion of the sky and only the constellation is glow-in-the-dark. It is very easy to take the book out and compare it with the real thing. It also tells you where to look! The only thing that would make it better is more constellations but then it would be more bulky and more expensive.
0Comment95 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 1998
This book offers the novice astonomer, young and old alike, an excellent way to find the common constellations, by comparing the glow in the dark pictures to the night sky. It also contains brief stories about each constellation shown.
0Comment52 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2010
I borrowed this from the library for a Brownie Girl Scout camping weekend. On our night hike, we stopped in a field under a clear sky. I shined the flashlight on each page to make the constellation dots on the page glow then asked the girls to find it in the sky... They were thrilled. The information presented on each is simple, informative, and age appropriate/digestable. I enjoyed the book so much I bought my own for our next Troop camping trip.
on November 17, 2010
I checked this book out from the library with my six year old son a few months ago. We kept re-checking it and re-checking it... when we took it camping with his dad and step-brother we decided that we needed to own it as it was the coolest addition to camping ever. Take a flashlight out and shine it on it and look up- easy peasy and fun. What a great idea and a great book. Easy to read and understand.
on January 11, 2012
There are so many books out there about stars and constellations, but this was one of my favorites.

What's great about this book is how it shows both the constellation in image form and in night sky form. Meaning, the two page spread of Orion shows the image of Orion the hunter overlaying its constellation stars on one side. And on the other it shows the actual night sky with Orion embedded in it somewhere. So the child learns to distinguish where Orion is in the actual night sky. If they can't do it visually, you just turn off the lights and Orion glows within the night sky picture!

This is so important with little stargazers because a lot of stargazing is done in the wintertime. There's nothing like staring around in the winter night sky, shivering to death, and trying to locate a constellation which you have seen in cartoon form within a thousand other stars! So this guide has the right idea. It actually teaches you how to do this!

It also includes a brief summary of the legend, the best time to view the constellation, and the direction you have to be facing. And the inside covers include pictures of the Northern and Southern skies in Summer and Winter. This is also very important for little kids to understand because they just naturally think they can look up in the sky and find any constellation picture up there any time they want! We have tried to use stargazing wheels before to help them understand otherwise, and that didn't work. This book was better.

It is a little harder to read than "Constellations: A Glow in the Dark Guide to the Night Sky" which my youngest kids liked. It's about 2nd grade minimum. But definitely a helpful reference kids can use without help. Love it.
on October 10, 2009
This book does a great job teaching anyone the basic constellations! This is so much fun to read with my children! What a great way to end the night before you kids go to bed!
on February 13, 2009
We loved this book and had so much fun stargazing in the summer sky. My kids loved it and it was easy to use.
on August 9, 2014
There are myriad constellations in this book but they are a bit hard to locate on the pages. I do like he explanations of the stories about them. All in all this was an OK book but not what I hoped for. My older great granddaughters have it now and I hope to have some good discussions in the future.
on December 4, 2010
GR8T BOOK!!! My kids absolutely Love this Book. It is very user-friendly and makes finding the constellations a breeze. We found Pegasus right away!! I would recommend this book to anyone, adult, child or any age.
on June 4, 2013
I bought this book for my 6 year old that wanted to know more about the stars. The covers
glows in the dark but the inside pages do not. He likes it but it isn't his go to book.