5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published on February 28, 2008 by Kate Talbot

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, June 30, 2005
This review is from: New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS (Paperback)
I think this book is a must-read for any woman with PCOS. I've had PCOS and severe insulin resistance for seventeen years and I felt hopeless about being able to manage it, but this book shows you that small, gradual changes can make a difference. The authors have taught me that losing weight doesn't have to be the main focus, increasing insulin sensitivity is the focus and then everything else follows. They also say that if you exercise but still don't lose weight you are still increasing your insulin sensitivity and therefore reducing symptoms, which I think is a great motivator. The only thing I feel this book misses out is the importance of organic food for health, but apart from that I feel it imparts a sense of optimism and empowerment for PCOS sufferers. I thank the authors from the bottom of my heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on the Subject of PCOS, August 8, 2006
After suffering from PCOS for several years, following the suggestions in this book either erased or minimized my symptoms and allowed me to conceive after years of infertility and miscarriages.

It also contains a knowledgeable overview of PCOS itself. The low-GI diet presented is very doable and healthy. If you only own one book on PCOS, get this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book in the New Glucose Rev. series!, February 11, 2007
I've read/own most of the books in the New Glucose Revolution family and have followed a low GI diet since 2004 when I read the original book. I have PCOS and found this one a few months ago and I LOVE this one the best I think out of all of them. I loved that it really targeted WHY a low GI diet works with PCOS, and how you can stop the cycle and bring your hormones in check. I love that they do mention using Metformin in correlation with the diet too and that really made me feel good knowing that they had brought up the medicine too since I do take Met. I've lost over 30lbs. and am still losing and highly recommend this book for anyone struggling with PCOS!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, February 28, 2008
I was hoping that this book would be very helpful, since it got such great reviews; however, I was disappointed by it. I recently discovered I had PCOS. I was prescribed metformin and told to follow a low GI diet. The book does a great job of explaining how and why a low GI diet should work for women with PCOS, but it does a poor job of explaining the actual diet. It makes it very confusing to follow, and although it gives a table of foods along with their GI, it is very vague about telling you what you should be eating. I followed the diet in the book the best that I could, and gained 5 pounds before the first week was over. Also, the recipes in the book were no help to me... each one of them had an ingredient that was either very exotic (lamb meat was one of them) or something that I had never heard of. They cannot realistically expect people to make these recipes on a regular basis. I recommend PCOS and your Fertility by Collette Harris. This was a much better and more helpful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I finally feel balanced, January 12, 2011
This book does not promise to cure PCOS; however, it has came pretty close. Not only do I finally understand PCOS and my fertility issue, I also finally feel balanced again. Within seven weeks I lost 10 pounds by just simply following this diet. I thought I was eating healthy before, but I wasnt' eating according to the way my body works. If nothing else, anyone with PCOS needs the education this can provide. I feel empowered now because I have taken some control back over my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Need Answers? Read this book!, June 15, 2006
This book was the answer to years of questions that my pool of doctors failed to answer adequately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening, September 11, 2008
Michael Boyd (Northport, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderfully informational and helpful book that gives hope to PCOS sufferers. Before reading this book, I had no idea that so many of my symptoms were PCOS related. All I've ever been told by my doctors was to "lose weight" and then my PCOS would be cured and I would be able to conceive. The problems with this were two-fold: one, I was never able to lose a significant amount of weight with a lower caloric diet thanks to the PCOS itself, and two, the information was wrong -- PCOS can't be cured, only alleviated...information I was unaware of before. Now, after reading this book, I have all of the information I've been longing for, along with a plan to alleviate my symptoms and hope that I will be able to conceive. I have eaten according to the low g.i. plan for 2 weeks and have already lost 10 pounds! I highly recommend this book to all women who suffer from PCOS!

3.0 out of 5 stars it was ok, April 14, 2010
A from Hamilton (Hamilton, ON CANADA) - See all my reviews
You get what one would expect considering the size of the book.

It's good at giving detailed information about the effects of glucose on your health. The shortcoming is the section on the GI Diet. If I had not read other books and information, I would have been confused.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Diet Information, October 3, 2009
Kristen Cook (Buffalo, New York) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent for diet management of PCOS, the seven steps are so useful and have helped me lose over 19 pounds in 3 months. The sample grocery list is very helpful as are the recipes. Very much recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Informative but repetitive, March 20, 2009
This book was a good overview of why a Low GI diet is so important to those suffering from PCOS. It went into a lot of detail regarding the way our bodies process things differently. It was dry, and I thought could have used more recipes, but I'd recommend it as a resource.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS
New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS by Kate Marsh (Paperback - July 21, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01