|Amazon Price||New from||Used from|
• Presents the first model of game motivation based on established theories of human motivation and emotion
• Tackles highly interesting and popular topics in the sphere of gaming from a new and unique perspective, including game violence and game addiction
• Focuses on the fundamentals of game psychology and both its positive and negative implications, rather than promoting a narrow perspective
• Images from classic and modern video games illustrate key points and make the information accessible to all readers
• A bibliography of numerous psychological studies support the author's underlying motivational model
"This accessible survey of the psychology of video games serves as a useful introduction. Summing Up: Recommended."-
"As games mature, and the average age of gamers continues to rise, we can hope that game scholarship will evolve as well, and Glued to GameS≪/i> is a good step in that direction."-
Video games have come a long way, from Atari's pinging, monochromatic Pong to the garish mayhem of Grand Theft Auto and the stylish sophistication of Beatles Rock Band. And it's no longer just teenagers that are hooked—audiences both young and old can't seem to get enough. But while "video-game addict" has become a common term, are these games really physically and psychologically addictive?
I highly recommend this book to non-gamers and gamers alike.
I won't get into the details of what the authors conclude, because the most accurate way to understand the conclusions is to read the book.
Even if you don't make video games for a living, this book is fascinating from a psychological perspective.
I purchased Glued to Games: How Video Games Draw Us In and Hold Us as a reference for my son to use in a college essay. Read morePublished 11 months ago by Chyrl Mullins
The Authors Scott Rigby and Richard Ryan accomplish one of the most difficult challenges for those with extensive scientific and academic backgrounds: presenting the results of... Read morePublished on June 9, 2012 by Scott Dodson