Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Gluten-Free Diet: A Comprehensive Resource Guide
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 25, 2002
Having been diagnosed with celiac disease 2 years ago and practicing as a Registered Dietitian for the past 21 years, I know the importance of professional-looking, detailed, and accurate information. Shelley's book accomplishes this and much more-it is a comprehensive resource for gluten-free living. I wouldn't counsel a newly diagnosed sprue patient and not use this book as a primary resource. I recommend Shelley's book to people with celiac disease and Registered Dietitian's/health professionals/physicians working with sprue patients.
on August 28, 2003
This is more than 5 stars! Without a question, this IS the resource to have if you or a family member has celiac disease. In depth nutritional information, sources and contact numbers for gluten-free foods companies, recipes, and so much more. It is a book you will refer to over and over again. And, a great one to share with teachers, and physicians.
Andrea Levario, Co-Chair, American Celiac Task Force
on September 30, 2002
A concise resource with all the key information clinicians AND patients frequently need to get started. We recommend this book to all patients referred to us in our GI nutrition clinic with celiac disease.
Carol Rees Parrish RD, MS
Andrea Yoder, RD
University of Virginia Health System
Digestive Health Center of Excellence
Charlottesville, VA
on July 23, 2002
Shelley Case's Resource Guide is stuffed with practical information and helpful hints and I know, based on my own experience, that I can trust her research! I consult her book frequently in my own work, and I've learned more about the gluten free diet from it than I have from any other single resource.
I find the detailed information on USA and Canadian labeling regulations especially helpful, and I like the way she quotes the specific regulation that pertains to the ingredient she is discussing. She also gives web site references for food regulations and labeling for those who have additional questions.
Besides quoting from the regulations, Shelley provides additional details she's learned from food processors. For example, she notes that caramel color may be produced from a number of ingredients including some gluten-containing ones like malt syrup and starch hydrolysates, but she says the two gluten-containing ingredients listed aren't used in North America according to the food processors she's talked to. This kind of information is invaluable when celiacs are trying to decipher American food labels.
Shelley draws on her own experience as a registered dietician to explain the special nutritional requirements of celiacs and there's a lot of detailed information on how celiacs can insure they're getting adequate amounts of nutrients.
Gluten free cooking presents its own challenges, and Shelley provides a lot of baking tips to insure products come out tasty, along with a nice selection of recipes.
She also has a comprehensive list of resources including complete contact info.
If I had to recommend just one book to celiacs, this is the one I would choose!
Shelley Case has written the definitive gluten-free guide. The extensive research behind this book will benefit everyone who needs to be on a gluten-free diet. This is a MUST HAVE reference for every physician and patient who has to deal with gluten-restriction in their life!
on July 24, 2002
I needed this book before I accumulated the mountain of computer printouts and handouts that adorns my office. Buy it or spend the next 20 years of your life unnecessarily duplicating this research.
on September 14, 2004
Shelley Case is one of the foremost experts on the gluten-free diet. There is a lot of "bad" information out there about the diet, but Shelley's book can be trusted to be current, accurate, and thoroughly researched.

Danna Korn, founder of R.O.C.K. (Raising Our Celiac Kids) and author of

"Wheat-Free, Worry-Free: The Art of Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Living" and

"Kids with Celiac Disease: A Family Guide to Raising Happy, Healthy, Gluten-Free Children"
on December 25, 2012
This is a good book for learning what to do upon discovering that you are gluten intolerant. Unfortunately I an also yeast intolerant so it makes things much more complicated. Good book for starting out though.
on June 2, 2012
If celiac disease or any condition which involves some degree of gluten or wheat allergy or intolerance has touched your life or the life of someone you love, you must have this book! Shelley has become my "friend" on paper since her first edition of this book. I have purchased each edition subequently and gifted my old copy. She has made my life with celiac disease so much more manageable. This book will save you so much time and very uncomfortable mistakes! If you buy one book, this has to be it!
on December 3, 2013
Just recently diagnosed with celiac disease. This is a must if you want to improve your health, make life simple and healthier.