4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I'd Hoped It Would Be!!!
Published on October 11, 2011 by Jody Byrne

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 flour blends, really????
Published on March 9, 2012 by SJP

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything I'd Hoped It Would Be!!!, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Gluten-Free Makeovers: Over 175 Recipes--from Family Favorites to Gourmet Goodies--Made Deliciously Wheat-Free (Paperback)
I am very new to this but one thing I've seen too often are gluten-free books with salads (duh!), chili or stew or other recipes that anyone could figure out. But Beth tackles the roughies ... Brioche, condensed mushroom soup, matzo AND -- wait for it -- cheese puffs gougere! It's like she read my palette. Good basics like flour blends, relplacements. I would have given it 5 stars if it included nutritional analysis but there are plenty of recipe calculators online. I really feel Beth wanted to give her readers the full benefit of all she's learned ... And we're the lucky beneficiaries!!
LOVE IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to my GF library!, November 14, 2011
I now own about 10 gluten free cookbooks, and have made recipes from all of them. What I like best about this cookbook:
1) the hints she gives for shortcuts, modifications, substitutions, and advice about ingredients to use/not use - not only helpful but invaluable to me as I expand my gluten free repertoire
2) she tackles a fairly broad variety of recipes, from breads and baked goods to assorted appetizers, salads & sides, soups, gravies, and entrees
3) the resource pages in the back are helpful as I am discovering more and more gluten free foods I never knew existed; many of these are only available online but at least I know they're out there!
4) the section with all her flour blends is priceless--I learned a lot reading about her different blends

About the only disappointment for me is I wish every recipe had a photo to go with it, but I'm sure that would have made for a much more expensive book. The center section of photos is beautiful and inspiring.

Buy this book and amaze your family and friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple Substitutions, January 9, 2012
I have not tried a recipe in this book yet, but on pages 265 to 270 are the Simple Substitutions for: Sweetened Condensed milk, whipped cream, xanthan gum, Corn, Oats,Chocolate and the list goes on. That section alone makes this book worthwhile.

The other recipes that I cannot wait to try are: Apple Carmel Monkey Bread, Stir Fry Asian, Gilbet stock, PF Chang Style Chicken in Lettuce Wraps, Mexican Pizza and the list goes on. I wanted a book that had something other than desserts which this book has, but has a whole lot more and you do not have to have a bread machine to make the breads.

I am Gluten, Dairy, Oats, Refined Sugar and presevative free.

3.0 out of 5 stars 5 flour blends, really????, March 9, 2012
SJP (Eastern Panhandle, WV) - See all my reviews
I bought this book planning to send it to my sister-in-law, who is just starting to learn to cook gluten-free - but her life is complicated enough. This book does indeed have some appealing recipes for main dishes (crab-free crab cakes, shrimp in garlic sauce) that I expect to enjoy making, but this isn't why I buy gluten-free cookbooks. Most main-dish recipes don't require much conversion, and many of Hillson's main-dish recipes don't look as if they had much (if any) gluten in them to begin with.

I do look for good recipes for baked goods, though - and like most authors of gluten-free cookbooks, Hillson lists ingredients for her own flour blends in an early chapter and refers back to them in her recipes, so that you either have to have premixed bins of her five special blends on hand, or flip back and forth and calculate the exact amount of each ingredient you need. Calculation isn't easy, either - her two bread flour blend recipes total 3 cups plus 13 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon for one and 8 cups and 15 tablespoons for the other, and the others are equally hard on the pocket calculator. Mine has been kept in the kitchen since cookbooks with these mixes began to proliferate 6 or 8 years ago. Three of her mixes call for flours that aren't among the 6 or 8 I normally keep on hand - amaranth in two cases, chickpea in the third. (The others she uses are white rice and sorghum flours, along with corn or potato starch and tapioca starch. She does include a flour substitution chart I haven't tried using.)

I have tried several cake recipes using the pastry flour mix (sorghum and white rice flours and cornstarch plus xanthan gum and salt). While one (a blueberry-vanilla bundt cake I've made full-size and half-size) stubbornly refuses to cook properly (though it tastes wonderful), the others have been good, and her cinnamon plum cake is amazing. They call for pans that are large for our two-person household - a 12-cup bundt pan or 9- or 10-inch springform pan - but doing half recipes (or 80% of a 9-inch springform pan in an 8-in pan) in smaller pans works for us.

Hillson does give weights along with standard measures for the starches and flours in her mixes and deserves a lot of credit for that. It makes measuring flours much easily. But 5 different mixes??? Why require cooks either to store multiple bins of flour mixes that are different for every cookbook or to use a calculator to figure out the ingredients of each new recipe? Are these cookbook authors - and it's not just Hillson who does this - not capable of giving us full ingredient lists in their recipes?

So if you're new to gluten-free cooking and plan to do any baking, don't start here unless you are handy with a pocket calculator or have a whole lot of kitchen storage space. Get Elizabeth Barbone's Easy Gluten-Free Baking - she has great recipes using flours that aren't that numerous and are easy to find, and gives full ingredient lists in each. Annalise Roberts (in Gluten-Free Baking Classics) also creates her own mixes (a basic mix and two bread flour mixes), but gives both basic proportions and proportions for 2, 4, and 6 cups of each, making calculation a lot easier if you just want to bake something without mixing up bins of flours to store.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is a keeper, February 26, 2012
I have been dealing with food allergies for ages (gluten and dairy for 20 years and more recently tree nuts and strawberries) and have tried many gluten free cookbooks. Most promise a lot and deliver very little. It is so disappointing to spend a small fortune on ingredients hoping to achieve something tasty only to dump your precious but inedible creation in the garbage. I checked out this book from the library somewhat half-heartedly but I am SO glad I did. My darling husband (who does not suffer with food allergies but hates that I miss out on so many good things) made up a batch of the bread flour mix and a batch of the cake and pastry flour mix and let me tell you, these two mixes are worth the price of the book. No beany, gritty, sludge-y, strong flavored weirdness here. Dh has made me pizza using the bread mix #1 three times and the crust is wonderful. The flavor is very nice and the texture is similar to a thin crust gluten pizza. If you've ever spent $8 for a frozen gluten free pizza this is WAY better. No weird glue-y bottom and off taste. I would definitely serve this to non allergic guests. We also made blondies this afternoon and they are scrumptious. Lighter than a typical blondie, with a finer crumb and all of the same delicious flavor. She has recipes for perogies (!!), foccacia, biscuits and pot stickers all of which I am dying to make. I am buying this book for our very small, very exclusive cookbook collection (dh and I are both librarians who rarely buy books for our home collection) and will pick up one for my gf/df Mom too. Truly a gem of a book.

Lisa Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, February 2, 2012
This book is a "must have". I have purchased many gluten free cookbooks over the years without having a great deal of success with the recipes. Beth's recipes are for foods my family loves and has gone without since we went gluten free. Now they are back and so delicious! Made the chicken pot pie the other night and the Dream Crust that is used is so flaky and delicious. Do not hesitate to purchase this book. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of best gluten-free books, December 28, 2011
I've purchased dozens of gluten-free books over the years and this is one of the best. The author gives recipes for pastry, bread, and general flour mixes instead of using just one for everything. I also appreciate that she doesn't rely heavily on potato starch or flour, which I don't tolerate. The recipes are delicious and not difficult to make. The back of the book has a section on substitutions, including a way to make a non-dairy condensed milk. Instructions are given on how to make recipes dairy-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally help understanding how to make old favorites Gluten Free, November 24, 2012
When I read some reviews of this book a few months back, one individual complained about the number of flour mixes required to create the recipes in this book. Evidently they haven't been on the GF journey long enough, or haven't spent that much time cooking a variety of things that have some complexity to it, to appreciate these mixes. W/in 2 weeks of purchasing this book I had cooked 4 recipes out of it and I must admit they were wonderful in taste and texture; and I can't wait to make them again. No, I didn't have the exact flours required for the blends, but the substitution chart at the beginning was amazing. I could find a flour in the same category, that I had on hand, and use that. And it tells you how to work at converting your old non-GF recipes into GF recipes - I can't wait to try some of my handed down family favorites. I've collected 12-15 GF cookbooks over the last 3 yrs and this is one of my top buys, along w/ one or two others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a GF cookbook with several useable recipes., June 17, 2012
Two members of my family were diagnosed with Celiac disease last year. Given that I like to cook and bake in my spare time, I quickly bought several GF cookbooks to start our new way of eating. I haven't had much luck with GF cookbooks thus far (hard to find ingredients, odd recipes or recipes that don't taste like ther gluten filled cousins) until I purchased Beth Hillson's Gluten-Free Makeovers. Wow, it was a breath of fresh air. I have around a dozen 'go to' recipes that are very good (Sandwich Bread, Bagel Sticks, Croissants, Cheese Crackers, Crepes, Banana Chip Muffins, Sugar Cookies, Pie Crust, Teddy Grahams, Pop Tarts, Fish Tacos). I still have many more to try but these recipes taste as close as you can get to the real deal. The flours used are easy to find and the recipes are simple to follow. It's everyday food. Of special note: I've tried many pie crust recipes with no luck until this one---pretty impressive. Thank you Ms. Hillson and I hope you come out with more cookbooks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gluten-free cookbook!, March 5, 2012
Okay- this is one of the better GF cookbooks I have found. I LOVE the made-from-scratch recipes that don't assume you will go out and buy pre-made pizza shells or expensive flour blends. The Quinoa Wonder Bread is fabulous- best bread recipe I have found so far.

Only question: Did anyone else have problems with the Cinnamon Buns? My dough turned out like regular pancake batter and was totally unworkable. I double checked all the ingredients and measurements- I followed the recipe. The liquid ratio was way too high for some reason. In the end I had to scrape it off the counter and just made a "cake." What did I do wrong?