5.0 out of 5 stars Response to "Momma be me"
Published on April 7, 2008 by Nicolette M. Dumke

Published on January 19, 2008 by momma be me

5.0 out of 5 stars Response to "Momma be me", April 7, 2008
This review is from: Gluten-Free Without Rice: Easy Cooking for Variety on a Gluten-Free Diet (Paperback)
Gluten-free baking is different than baking with wheat. Since gluten is what traps the leavening gases and causes bread to rise, gluten-free breads are dense. This is especially true if they are made without multiple additives and stabilizers (which many people are allergic to) as the recipes in this book are. I'm not sure from your review if your problem with "bricks" is unrealistic expectations on how the bread should turn out or a baking problem. However, your "gummy" crackers are almost certainly due to over-mixing. This and other cooking issues that can cause problems with and which are unique to allergy/gluten-free baking are addressed on pages 9-10 of the book. One of the books that I have written does give directions in steps rather than paragraphs (The Ultimate Food Allergy Cookbook and Survival Guide) and I do have a website (which currently comes up 6th if you search "food allergies" in Google, or you can get it under publisher information if you look up any of my books on Google Books. Sorry to make you search but Amazon frowns on websites being posted). If you contact me though my website, I will give you whatever support you need for your baking problems. Also, I kind of "fixed" your rating by bringing the average up to 3. Good luck with your son's diet, and I hope you read this and contact me through my website. Posted by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book if you are gluten-free and allergic to rice, June 27, 2011
A friend had found this book and recommended it to me based on the fact that I am allergic to rice and needed to be gluten-free. Most gluten-free books use rice as a major substitution. "Gluten-Free Without Rice: Easy Cooking for Variety on a Gluten-Free Diet" give you recipes but also gives you great information about all the other gluten-free alternative flours, grains, etc. If you can't eat gluten and can't have rice, this is a MUST BUY! I did buy this in paperback instead of kindle-version. I love my kindle but I like my cookbooks the old fashion way!

5.0 out of 5 stars GLUTED FREE WITHOUT RICE, February 13, 2013
GLUTEN FREE WITHOUT RICE
iT WAS A GREAT HELP WITH MY LIMITED FOOD DIET. i AM NOT A COOK BUT WAS ABLE TO USE THIS BOOK WITH EASE

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 10, 2014
Great recipes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you!, February 2, 2014
My son is 2y.o. and was just diagnosed with ASD. We have been on a GFCF diet for some time, however just recently found out that he has sensitivities to oats (GF), and rice! It was a bitter pill to swallow as 95% of GF products in the store (including Whole Foods) are rice - based! I quickly had to learn about different GF flours (teff, millet, quinoa, fava bean etc.) but I had no idea how to use them or what to do with them. I was THRILLED to see this book on Amazon and purchased it immediately. The book is wonderful! I use it DAILY. Yes, recipes are simple but I actually appreciated that! Dealing with an ASD child is tough enough, and I don't have the luxury of spending hours in the kitchen trying elaborate recipes. The most important thing is that my son (being a VERY picky eater) actually ate (!) the final products (waffles, pancakes etc.), and because there are only few ingredients used in 1 recipe, it's easy to pinpoint the allergic / sensitivity reaction should such a thing occur...
I would have loved to purchase another book (rice - free) that covers main dishes (lunch, dinner), and for this book it would be nice to have a recipe or two for scones and pizza crust.
Overall, very satisfied with the purchase, and many thanks to Nicolette Dumke for putting this together.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, November 11, 2013
THis book is a great series and perfect for my child. Very interesting story. Thank you for your writing these.

1.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars not 1 not for high altitude or something else is wrong, January 19, 2008
I can't fix my rating. I meant it to have three stars, not one. I live in the Denver area (altitude issues) but the author is from Louisvill (close by) but after following the recipe for the breads to the "t"; three timesI have gotten only dry bricks that look like brains. I am a good cook otherwise but admit that this gluten free baking is a new world for me. The almond waffels come out like crackers with little flavor, but the graham crackers came out gummy. The quinoa pancakes are really good but our sone won't eat them *arhhgg* ! I am ovbiously doing a lot of things very very wrong! For us, it has been an expensive waste of groceries for not much food results. It would help if the instructions were more in an outlined format instead of running paragraphs. I was really excited about this book because our son is alergic to rice, potatoes, corn as well as wheat and eggs. I wish she had a website or support call number for despirate people like me (I would even pay a fee for it).

Gluten-Free Without Rice: Easy Cooking for Variety on a Gluten-Free Diet
Gluten-Free Without Rice: Easy Cooking for Variety on a Gluten-Free Diet by Nicolette M. Dumke (Paperback - June 1, 2007)
$9.95